Need AI Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Proverbs 12:10

Reaction score
Looking to AI small herd of brahman heifers this fall for the first time. Considering two methods to narrow the heat detection window: 1) CIDR+PG or 2) feed MGA+PG. Does anyone have experience with one or both? Which has worked better? Pros and cons?

I don't know much about the CIDR's, but we have used MGA. I really liked the outcome, however, I did learn that the heifers need to be in pretty good shape. We will be using MGA again, probably next spring to sync our heifers.

The pros of MGA, are less times down the chute. The cons would be having to heat detect, and having to be around to feed them every day. I have heard of up to 90% conception on the first breeding with this method.

Pros of CIDRs would be that you just time AI, no heat checking. Cons are having to run them down the chute several times, and lower conception rate(from what I have heard).

I'd like to keep from going thru the chute 3-4 times even though I could eliminate the heat watch. My cows are close so I could heatwatch and feed as well. Did you have any problems with each cow consuming enough MGA?

We locked the animals out and then poured the grain into the troughs, and topdressed it with the MGA. They seemed to eat it without any problem as long as it was spread out evenly. The animals that we had that didn't cycle were all in poorer condition.

We are using CIDRs as instructed on the package, and then
glue on a Kmar heat detector....works great. The stick-on
Kmars are not as good as the original(messy) glue type.

OK Jeanne":11crp2y5 said:

I am considering the CIDR's I just wanted to limit the number of times I have to work them thru the chute. Do the Kmars work the majority of the time?

1. in chute, insert CIDR
2. in chute, give lutalyse & go ahead & glue on Kmar
3. pull CIDR out...if they are not afraid of you, you can
do this outside a chute.

Detailed directions are on the CIDR package---Valley
Vet supply has them on-line.

Kmar is a very good indicator I think.

Proverbs 12:10":3du2i9jl said:
OK Jeanne":3du2i9jl said:

I am considering the CIDR's I just wanted to limit the number of times I have to work them thru the chute. Do the Kmars work the majority of the time?

Unless they get knocked off or they rub them a lot on low lying branches they work everytime.

dun

Brahmans respond very well to CIDR's protocal. There are many different protocals besides the one on the bag. I would check around.

We tried a CIDR protocal for the first time this summer. Small group, 13 animals, 7 bred on standing heat (6 settled), 6 bred at 72-80 hrs (2 settled). Used the GRNH shot when CIDR's went in & Lutalyse when they came out. Gave a shot of GRNH to the non-responders when breed @ 72-80 hrs post CIDR removal.

I like the fact that it jump starts those not cycling, even if you don't catch them on the first breding.

Farminlund":2fu23h5v said:
I like the fact that it jump starts those not cycling, even if you don't catch them on the first breding.

GnRH followed 7 days later with lute will jump start them too. Lot's cheaper.

dun

dun":15xkpx8l said:
Farminlund":15xkpx8l said:

dun

One of the guys at Ova Genix told me that the GnRH was not effective on brahmans. Can anyone cofirm or deny.

dun":16qsux48 said:
Farminlund":16qsux48 said:

dun

Dun, would you have done something different in the case I sited? I understand the cost statement (no CIDR & semen) but not sure I would know how to apply it. I wanted all 13 bred - so I followed the prescribed protocal. I felt I did well with the ones that stood, & wished more had fallen into that catagory (7 standing vs 6 non standers). Of the non responders (6), I settled 2, which for summer breeding is not horrible (just my experience).

Farminlund":3k08xfda said:
dun":3k08xfda said:
Farminlund":3k08xfda said:

dun

Dun, would you have done something different in the case I sited? I understand the cost statement (no CIDR & semen) but not sure I would know how to apply it. I wanted all 13 bred - so I followed the prescribed protocal. I felt I did well with the ones that stood, & wished more had fallen into that catagory (7 standing vs 6 non standers). Of the non responders (6), I settled 2, which for summer breeding is not horrible (just my experience).

In years past we would only do a cow every couple of years that hadn;t cycled within the time frame we wanted to get them bred. We observe heats when we breed. We've only done one large group, 6 head, 2 came in at 48 hours, one at 60 hours and the other three never have cycled. Those 3 all apparantly settled. But the other 3 are heifers overfeeding there calves and look like a bony Holstein. We only included them to try and get them cycling. They'll be heading down the road when we wean anyway. They are also ones that seem to do very poorly on fescue. One of the problems with buying skinny heifers that are due to calf within a week or 2.
I'm not a big fan of CIDRS simply because I had to play clean up bull on too many heifers that were time bred.

dun

Latest posts