ATV

Help Support CattleToday:

If it is RA, be thankful it's not started until later in his life. My dad got it when he was in his early 50s. He's now 77. He's been a patient of the best rheumatologist in the southeast for many years and had every medication possible. They finally told him about 2 years ago that he was "end stage RA" and nothing further can be done. Couple that with dementia and we've got our hands full. He's been on hospice for a while now and is wheelchair bound, but he's still chugging along. Even though dementia runs in my family, I truly think all the medication, especially the constant pain meds (opioids + morphine) has sped up his mental decline.
An uncle had RA so bad he could not turn the key in his truck. At that time one of the drugs the doctor wanted him to go on could make him blind. He said no way he was going to that. He did a juice fast, carrot and beet juice for two weeks and then went to a vegetarian diet. He was back to riding his horses. Before he died of leukemia he started putting some fish into his diet.

Dad does not get around all that well. We have him going to physical therapy three times a week, and it is helping some, but it is slow going. Took him to Billings on Thursday to see a new RA doctor. His appointment was at 1pm, we left early as I wanted to pick up some fence post at Western Livestock supply before his appointment. We get there and they say we are three hours early, it was rescheduled for Four. It turns out that they called dads number and sometimes he has trouble answering his phone, and has no clue how to check his voicemail. So we monkeyed around in Billings for three hours. By the time we got home it was late. Sometime this week we need to get some blood test done and some ex-rays. The new doctor is not so sure he has RA, but it may be some other form of arthritis. It is hard seeing him decline, but I guess that is what happens when you reach 88 and beyond.
Does the Dr's office do texts for reminders? I am not a big fan of all the fancy technology BUT... getting text reminders of things would be great if they could put your phone number in to send them to... or even have them call you also?

Dad can't run that new ATV. It's just different enough that can't do it. I was going to sell the old one, but maybe I should just fix it up. Although I'm also not sure I want him helping with bringing the cows home from the ranch this next fall. Last year he kind of got lost out in the pasture; he has rode it more than I have. Nine sections is a lot of territory to search if he gets lost. He's just not as cognitive as he used to be. I don't like him driving on the highway, he is going to hurt himself or someone else. His driving scares the begeebers out of me.
My wife bought a pack of 4 Air Tags a couple of months ago to put on her dog and a couple of other things, she had one left over so I put it on my keyring that I always have attached to my trousers. I thought it might be a good idea as when I'm in the 650 acres of heavy bush where my dry cows are now I get very disorientated with my double vision, I can't even see the ground or judge where I'm putting my feet and when I'm changing direction to walk around trees and gullies I easily get disorientated. I would not get lost in there but I have been in there late and at this time of year the light fades very quickly and gets cold too so I might be thankfull having it on me one day that is if someone with a bit more knowledge of how they work than Pam becomes involved with looking for me.

Ken

Does the Dr's office do texts for reminders? I am not a big fan of all the fancy technology BUT... getting text reminders of things would be great if they could put your phone number in to send them to... or even have them call you also?
It seems there are a number of things which use group texts. Our trouble is cell phones don't work at our house so we don't get text messages. People will say well I sent out a message. That is nice. There is a land line with an answering machine. Try calling.

It seems there are a number of things which use group texts. Our trouble is cell phones don't work at our house so we don't get text messages. People will say well I sent out a message. That is nice. There is a land line with an answering machine. Try calling.
I fully understand your point Dave.
I was just trying to maybe find another way that @CowboyRam could know about things like the time change, since his dad did not get the phone call and does not seem able to get messages off the voice mail. That led me to think maybe he was getting the calls on a cell phone, which would mean that maybe they could include @CowboyRam ... on a cell call list.....or even a landline.
There are places here, right in "civilization", not out in the more remote areas where you are, that cell calls have dead areas. If it wasn't for text messages that sometimes will get through, I would not be in touch with my son or many farmers, sometimes for hours.... They can be a nuisance too, but when someone gets out of dead spots or areas, then you get the message if it hadn't gone through earlier. And in some of the trickier places, I have not gotten cell messages on voice mail for several hours... so the texts are a help.

Dad can't run that new ATV. It's just different enough that can't do it. I was going to sell the old one, but maybe I should just fix it up. Although I'm also not sure I want him helping with bringing the cows home from the ranch this next fall. Last year he kind of got lost out in the pasture; he has rode it more than I have. Nine sections is a lot of territory to search if he gets lost. He's just not as cognitive as he used to be. I don't like him driving on the highway, he is going to hurt himself or someone else. His driving scares the begeebers out of me.
put an airtag on the ATV, if you have reception you can find him pretty quick

Reception, that is the problem. Some of those draws on the ranch you can't get any reception. Up on top yes, but some areas no.
Garmin tracking collars for hunting. They can be pricey but if you loose connection, like down in draws, they show the last spot it had service.

I always joke out in wtx that if I break down and don't come back look for smoke because I'm going to light stuff on fire. I always say I'm going to burn plastic panels off my sxs one by one. That black smoke will show for miles.

There are things you can do if you know you are lost, if you don't, the other people have to track to you. 😕

A buddy of mine had an ATV accident here a couple years ago. He took some pictures with his cell phone and based on the mountains they were able to narrow down where he was. He spent quite a few hours waiting for help to arrive. I remember right he had a front wheel come off, and I am sure he was going pretty fast when it happened. He is very lucky it didn't kill him.

Do you have internet and wifi at your house? If so you need to turn on wifi calling on your cell phone. Only way our phones work anywhere near my house or shop is wifi calling.
Yes we have satellite internet and wifi. But we only have an old flip phone that we take with when traveling. I am simply not worried about it. I feel no need to be connected with the rest of the world 24/7.

Garmin tracking collars for hunting. They can be pricey but if you loose connection, like down in draws, they show the last spot it had service.

I always joke out in wtx that if I break down and don't come back look for smoke because I'm going to light stuff on fire. I always say I'm going to burn plastic panels off my sxs one by one. That black smoke will show for miles.

There are things you can do if you know you are lost, if you don't, the other people have to track to you. 😕
And if you forget matches, the tailpipe on the ATV is hot enough to ignite dry fuel.

Latest posts