need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

mikegahr

Reaction score
I had this man call about some hay and told him that I was out of grass hay and the only thing I had left was going to be some milo I was waiting to cut and bale, He said he wanted 3 loads so i put him on my list, the next day he called and said he wanted 5 total, so I told him the way I was selling is the people i've been dealing with pay a deposit which he said was fine. I got the check for 2.5 loads and the check cleared the bank but he also sent a contract for me to sign which I had no problem with. Well he called me at least 4 time a week wanting to know about the hay and I told in the beginning that I had to wait on the farmer to harvest it first, so last week i was finally able to send him a load and he said it looked good execpt they were a little small and i asured him i would make them bigger so after working on the bale for half a day i got them up to 5ft. That after noon he called and wanted to know if I was sending a load the next day and I told him the truck would be at my place around noon well around 11:30 he calls raising cain saying he he had an extra hay ring empty and put a bale out and they wouldn't eat it. To make a long story short sould i refund what he doesn't want or make him take the hay, I have been baling hay for over 20 years and selling for the last 5 or 6 yrs. and never had a complaint. I was only getting 20.00 a bale and every one else is getting 30.00. I know the moral thing to do is sent him a check but the way carried on and worried me about getting the contract back to him just burn my butt. sorry for ranting on

Stuff like this is the reason ill sit on a barn full of hay instead of selling it ... Did he know what he was buying and did he agree to buy it ? Sounds like he did since he wanted a contract ... Id meet him in the middle and make him take the deposit amount of hay ... His cows may not eat it because they haven't had to before .. its not your fault and your not a charity ..

how much of that hay you got? i need about six bales to make it through the winter and no complaints guaranteed.........

What does the contract say? Would you not be in violation of the contract if you don't deliver the hay? Did he sign a receipt for the hay he has already received? If not, what proof do you have that you even sent him any? Is the contract witnessed and notarized? I ask these things cause I smell a rat. A contract for hay lets me know this fella has had (created) problems before. I'd be careful. Give him whatever he wants and walk away quietly. The world his round so be ready to drive it home to this fella when the world turns. And drive it deep too.

I agree with JS. He knew what he was buying. At least he probably did. My brother didn't. He just bought a load of rice straw for $75 a roll. :dunce: :lol2:

I'd send him the 2.5 loads he's paid for, and just forget about it (and him).

he said he would keep the load he has already gotten but wants his money back on the rest, I forgot to mention that he had some hay out in the rings and had a extra ring that he put a bale of milo in, he kept telling me that he will have to starve his cattle to make them eat it.

I'd go over the contract very close and if I saw where I'd be ok then I'd make him sign a release for it and the one load and send his money back. Life is to short for people like him and I'd get as far as possible from him. You can still sell Milo hay for 20 a bale all day long. Eff him and all the people like him.

That kinda what I thought about doing Jed, I don't have any problem getting rid of the milo, I have 4 others that will take all i have.

mikegahr":25h85lck said:
That kinda what I thought about doing Jed, I don't have any problem getting rid of the milo, I have 4 others that will take all i have.
Did you promise him that the cattle would eat the hay? ;-)

I sold a neighbor some hay one time. He looked at it before he bought it. Good hay...sold cheap...$11/bale for 10-12 4x4 bales. He never said anything directly to me, but he stuck the check in the mailbox as he went by and now will not speak when he drives by.....this has been 6-7 yrs ago. I've heard never sell a friend a used car or loan them money. I'd add don't sell them any hay either as it can sour the relationship.

mike; forget about my request last night. my regular supplier came through for me this afternoon. what luck!

Jethro":1byjsr43 said:
I sold a neighbor some hay one time. He looked at it before he bought it. Good hay...sold cheap...$11/bale for 10-12 4x4 bales. He never said anything directly to me, but he stuck the check in the mailbox as he went by and now will not speak when he drives by.....this has been 6-7 yrs ago. I've heard never sell a friend a used car or loan them money. I'd add don't sell them any hay either as it can sour the relationship.

and never, never rent housing to friends or relatives.......

tsmaxx47":3natyjra said:
Jethro":3natyjra said:

and never, never rent housing to friends or relatives.......
Amen to that

TexasBred":k0i5j2zy said:
mikegahr":k0i5j2zy said:
Did you promise him that the cattle would eat the hay? ;-)
No sir, never made a promise, all I told him is I have fed it to my cattle a few year back and they did good on it, and sold a bunch in Tenn. and Kentuckey and they had no problems with it.

Since you can sell the rest of the hay with no problems, I would give him his money on the rest and forget about this guy. He sounds like the type who will always be trouble if you ever deal with him again.

Latest posts