Soybean hay advice

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So here in NE Ok they are baling most of the corn and soybeans, at least here in Ottawa county where the rains keep missing us and splitting and going around us. Their barely putting on any beans etc. I bought 10 corn hay bales that still had the ears on it, I've feed all of them over a 45 day period trying to ration out everything.

I've got a chance to buy some soybean bales reasonable. Their soybeans with some wheat stubble in them. But I've never feed them. My plan is to unroll about a half bale 2x a week because it's so high protein. I've got 35 cows hopefully bred back, vet check them in month or so after the wife has her breast cancer surgery. I weaned the calves 10days ago, trying to help take pressure off cows. Plan to hold my calves til thanksgiving hoping everyone else sells early and mine grow etc, it's a gamble. Calves are getting feed so this only the cows on bean bales. Advice? I don't want them blotting on me etc. I'm not feeding any protein or supplements, couple bales of hay a week and whatever they can find grass wise(it's not much). Friend doing the baling says it's roughly 20% protein, maybe little higher or lower on wheat stubble bales or if it's a field that put on any beans. I'd love a grinder but that's no where in the budget so let's not advise that.

Sounds like you are in survival mode. I think the wheat stubble will help. I have only fed soyabean haylage that had some summer grasses in it which I looked up about at the time and I know the grasses were needed for the sugars to help the silage process on the stemmy soyabean. When things are tough just about anything helps and they always surprise me how they get through as long as they have something in their bellies. I hope your misses does well with the surgery, all the best.

Ken

I've made soybean hay, but I didn't spray them so had grasses and weeds mixed in. Cows did fine, their poop was very dark colored and more solid than normal. Fed them most of a winter. Remember my granddad telling soybeans were used for forage when first introduced.

I've feed bean stubble bales before. (Bales after the beans were combined). If fed as part of a ration they work better than corn stalks. No pods just leaves and stems I wouldn't worry. Maybe only give them ⅓ of a bale at once to see how they get along.

Prayers for you and your wife.

Well I guess I misunderstood alittle. I get them IF he bales more which is good possibility since we haven't had more than an inch of rain since late June and none forecasted for next 2wks. He baled some and I thought he was selling them

So here in NE Ok they are baling most of the corn and soybeans, at least here in Ottawa county where the rains keep missing us and splitting and going around us. Their barely putting on any beans etc. I bought 10 corn hay bales that still had the ears on it, I've feed all of them over a 45 day period trying to ration out everything.

I've got a chance to buy some soybean bales reasonable. Their soybeans with some wheat stubble in them. But I've never feed them. My plan is to unroll about a half bale 2x a week because it's so high protein. I've got 35 cows hopefully bred back, vet check them in month or so after the wife has her breast cancer surgery. I weaned the calves 10days ago, trying to help take pressure off cows. Plan to hold my calves til thanksgiving hoping everyone else sells early and mine grow etc, it's a gamble. Calves are getting feed so this only the cows on bean bales. Advice? I don't want them blotting on me etc. I'm not feeding any protein or supplements, couple bales of hay a week and whatever they can find grass wise(it's not much). Friend doing the baling says it's roughly 20% protein, maybe little higher or lower on wheat stubble bales or if it's a field that put on any beans. I'd love a grinder but that's no where in the budget so let's not advise that.
fed soybean stubble small square bales (50lb) when i was young//44 years ago...cut the spreader off on combine to leave a row to bale...rough on the hands to load, but didn't know any better...cows ate it but we supplemented it, with what, i don't remember...we were just trying to get through the winter till spring and didn't have much regular hay ground....looking back, don't know how DAD got by, but he did...i guess you do what you have to do...remember us putting some sorgum on top of mostly sorry hay to get cows to eat it...i'm sure people are still doing some variations in times of drought now....just reminissing from an old dude...wouldn't take nothin for it....Rick...Tula, MS

So I guess my soybean deal dried up. Literally because the beans are starting to dry out and they can't get the leaves to stay on to bale them. So they won't even do them. Wish I had a grinder and I'd try to buy the stems and mix with hay. But can't afford grinder either. Found and guy in AR will deliver 42bale semi load of peanut hay for 103/bale. Pretty high but be closer to feeding alfalfa quality wise. So be 4326 for 42 bales. I don't know, looking for ideas right now

Latest posts