Need a utv opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

We are very happy with our 620 Gator. We use it daily checking cows and doing other chores. 850 hours and it's been trouble free so far.

My brother has a couple of the big Kubota RTV diesels that he bought for his commercial spraying business - the older one has had the spray rig off and been used on the farm for a couple of years now. They're used hard and have been very reliable. I haven't driven them much, but they feel awfully heavy to me and the hydrostat is really hard to get used to.

I just bought a new mule.2017 4010.. so far so good. gas..got 28 hrs on it. off/on throttle to got really slow has a bit of a hiccup sometimes but I will see if that works out..or a new program or tune maybe...speed limit to 25 mph..fast enough

Brute 23":3eyv00kr said:
You want to see what your utv drive train is made of... pull up to the back of your trailer, put it in 4wd and Low. See if it will climb up on the trailer. A lot of them wont.
I've done that didn't know others wouldn't I've climbed over logs and got hung where I had to get in back and use a stick to mash gas to back off of it.

Well I pulled the trigger , bought a Kawasaki Tyrex. Was afraid some off the other machine swould have trouble with the mud around here and get stuck. Thanks for all the imput

the honda pioneer would be the worst farm utv you could ever buy.

nice suggestion..

This has been several years ago and do not know if this still the case, but we were buying some utvs for work and tried all of them out. What we found as far as pulling and work, the kubota out did them all, main difference was that kubota was not belt driven and we would slip belts pulling heavy loads. Like I said several years ago do not know if it still applies

bed is junk, it'd be broke around here in a few weeks.

DCT transmission.. Do you REALLY want to drive around feeling shifts all day? That's extremely annoying to me.

Sitting position. You're IN IT.. not getting out easily.. not getting in easily. I'll take something with an easy access slide in / slide out type of configuration. When I'm jumping out every 30 seconds to work on something the last thing I need is trouble getting in out.

15k starting price and you're not even getting a diesel or a heavy duty suspension.

ddd75":38nr6lmc said:
bed is junk, it'd be broke around here in a few weeks.

DCT transmission.. Do you REALLY want to drive around feeling shifts all day? That's extremely annoying to me.

Sitting position. You're IN IT.. not getting out easily.. not getting in easily. I'll take something with an easy access slide in / slide out type of configuration. When I'm jumping out every 30 seconds to work on something the last thing I need is trouble getting in out.

15k starting price and you're not even getting a diesel or a heavy duty suspension.

It's been 2 years since I looked at one but I will look again.

That transmission is the future... just like cars or trucks. $15K is right on compared to other brands. It was higher when i looked 2 years ago.

We've had our mule for several weeks now and this is my opinion on it.
1. Its too noisy, hard to talk to anyone with you. If you stop to talk to anyone, you have to turn it off.
2. I don't like how I have to sit in it. I'm tall but my feet don't reach the floor without compressing the seat. On long rides, my legs start to bother me. Its not so bad if you're driving, but I need something to put my feet on when i'm in it for very long.
3. Its rattles a lot. You cant put your feet on the dash because its flimsy. Doesn't sound that important, but again, its uncomfortable to me and I need my feet to go somewhere.
4. No cup holders for back seat. I did buy some at Walmart that work ok, but only after a few rides I remembered while I was in town to get something. We got it so we could take people out on the ranch, people like their drinks..
5. I don't like the doors...you can take them off, but then theres no bar to hold you in. After zipping around in a gator with a bar, I could possibly fall out of the mule thinking there is a bar to hold me in...lol
6, Its slow

We've had every brand of side by side and my fav is JD gator. I dont know how long we've owned the 2 gators we have now but its been a long time.. We drive the holy crap out of them. One year it was in mud nonstop and we went everywhere spinning the tires the whole time. They are tough, quiet for a diesel, ride comfortable. They are just expensive...If I need to run to the other side of the place, I go out and I have a gator and a truck sitting there, i'll jump in the gator every time...

I actually bought a Honda pioneer 500 last year. It's a smaller utv that fits nearly anywhere a 4wheeler will. Automatic or manual transmission (selectable) and can be had for less than 8k. It has a bench type seat and atv rack that I mounted a toolbox and drop down rack on. Biggest drawback is no front diff lock, but it hasn't been an issue whatsoever. I bought it for the reliability and longevity of Hondas and have been very happy so far.

Latest posts