NE Texas - fertilizing

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
When is the best time to fertilize (both seasons spring and fall)? What type of fertilizer i.e. 10-10-10? I have never fertilized my pastures, but I intend to plant a rye mix this fall in late September/October on one of my pastures. The other pastures (coastal bermuda) I would like to know when is the best time to fertilize for spring 2006, etc.

I have discussed planting the rye in the fall with a local dealer and they told me they could mix the seed and fertilizer together. Therefore when I threw out the seed, it would do it all together.

I live in NE Texas and know the soils conditions and seasons vary but if anyone has experience with the black gumbo, etc. or lives close and could give advice, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

In Kaufman, you are in the "Blackland Prarie" region. Bermuda is a warm season grass, usually fertilized in late spring in N Texas. Rye is more of a cooler season grass. Check with your TAEX office for info appropriate for your area (assuming someone there knows what to do).

We buy ours from Eldorado Chemical in Terrell (Texas) and I think that they have a place in Greenville (Texas) as well. They may can help you. All I know about black dirt is don't drive on it after it rains.

Contacting the ag ext agent is good advice. You can then discuss with him your plans and he can make recommendations based on your area. It will vary greatly depending on your plans: cutting hay, grazing rate, etc. Most likely the first recommendation he will have is to get a soil test done. That way there is no guess what the soil needs in the way of fert. and minerals. A soil test will take a couple of weeks, so you may want to go a head and get that going.

Good Luck.

If you have never soil tested or fertilized before it is a good idea to have the extension agent, soil conservation, or some knowledgable third party who knows how to read a soils test report give you a fertilizer recommendation. Fertilizer salesmen tend to recommend what they want you to buy.
Dave

My rule of thumb on when to fertilize coastal in the spring is to wait until the overnight low temperature stays above 60 degrees for five nights in a row. Here is my part of East Texas that mean first half of May. By waiting until the night time temps warm up you are insuring that the grass is actively growing and will therefore get the maximum benefit from the fertilizer. You really need a soil test to know what fertilize composition will do you the most good. I know that you can mix your seed and fertilizer together in the spreader, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have some way to get it evenly blended. It is not too much trouble for me to go over the area twice and then I know that the seed and the fertilizer are both evenly distributed. Good luck to you.

Shooter,

Get in touch with you local USDA Farm Service Agency. They will provide you with mailing envelopes and instructions for soil testing. Testing is a must before starting as fertilization program. I recall that the Texas A&M
Extension Labs do the testing and if you can describe the crop they will give you the recommended proportions of fertilizer based on the test.

We have some pretty nice folks in E Texas.They sell fertilizer and provide spreader equipment (if you choose to do it your self) or they will do it as a service. They follow the recommendations from the soil test for mixing or will mix per your instructions. Competition keeps everybody on their toes.

Jay :)

Latest posts