Names of Cross Breds

Help Support CattleToday:

n i c c i

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if you could post some of the names of some cross bred cattle that i can use for future reference.

Like i basically only know of SimBrah (Brahman x Simmental) and BraFord (Brahman x Hereford). That is all i know and i'm really interested in cattle (which is why i'm on this website to learn from people who know what they're talking about!) and hoping to get into the industry when i'm older.

So yeah... write away please! and any other helpful information about cattle you can add would be much appreciated.

Thanks, nicci

n i c c i":3pbcaray said:
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if you could post some of the names of some cross bred cattle that i can use for future reference.

Like i basically only know of SimBrah (Brahman x Simmental) and BraFord (Brahman x Hereford). That is all i know and i'm really interested in cattle (which is why i'm on this website to learn from people who know what they're talking about!) and hoping to get into the industry when i'm older.

So yeah... write away please! and any other helpful information about cattle you can add would be much appreciated.

Thanks, nicci

Salorn Salers-longhorn
Balancer Gelbvieh-Angus
Angus plus Angus (red or black)-any percentage Brahman
Gelbray Gelbvieh-Brahman
Charbrah Charolais-Brahman
Bramasin Limousin-Brahman

Don;t recall some of the more unusual ones

dun

Well mostof these are actually breeds in their own right but here it goes....
Santa Cruz Santa Gertrudis x Hereford
Pinzbrah Pinzguaer x Brahman
Senegus Senepol x Angus
Senepol ~3/8s Ndama x ~5/8s Red Poll
Black Baldie Hereford x black Angus
Red Baldie Hereford x Red Angus
Durham Red Angus x Shorthorn
South Poll Hereford, Senepol, and Barzona I think
Senepol Red Poll x Ndama
Senegus Senepol x Angus
Chiford Chianina x Hereford
Chi-Maine Chianina x Maine Anjou
Chiangus Chianina x Angus
Super Baldie Hereford x Brangus
Brangus Brahman x Angus (usually 3/8s B:5/8s A)
Smokies Charolias x Angus
Yellowfords Charolais x Hereford (I actually have not heard this used in ~15 years)
ARRAB Red Angus x Braford
ABEEF Red Angus Gelbvieh x Braford
ARGEL Gelbvieh x Braford
Those last three are trademarked names for Adams Ranch crosses.

If Red Angus and Shorthorn is a Durham - haven't heard them called that since Great Grandpa had em - what would you boys call a Black Angus X Shorthorn? If they come out blue of course it's a blue roan - or Blue Belles as Pappy called em.
Also, super baldies up here are Angus X Simmental, then Super Guppies are Red Angus X Gelbvieh

purecountry":obfdizn2 said:
If Red Angus and Shorthorn is a Durham - haven't heard them called that since Great Grandpa had em - what would you boys call a Black Angus X Shorthorn? If they come out blue of course it's a blue roan - or Blue Belles as Pappy called em.
Also, super baldies up here are Angus X Simmental, then Super Guppies are Red Angus X Gelbvieh

Well down here Angus X Simmental are called Sim-Angus. Those old fashioned Whiteface Simmentals are a dying breed down here. I left off the "Red" part. A Shorthorn x a Red Angus is NOW a Durham Red....
http://www.shorthorn.org/asa/tabID_3789/tailored.aspx
and can actually be registered as such.

Interesting to see they register them with their own deisgnation - smart thinking. Yeah, the days of the splashy white Sentimentals are gone in Alberta too. Some folks still breed em, but the calves get docked pretty hard.

According to this website, Santa Cruz are 1/2 Santa Gertrudis, 1/4 Red Angus and 1/4 Gelbvieh.

If you have a reference, I will accept that they are right and I am wrong. I was going strictly from memory and have never owned a registered Santa Cruz nor known anyone who ever has. I like Hereford x Gerts and would probably MUCH rather use them than Hereford x Red Angus x Gelbvieh?? but whatever makes the King Ranch people happy.

I forgot "hillbilly hybred", a sorry dairy cow bred to a pound bull from the salebarn

dun

I like the idea and I really like the concept cow picture; but if I owned a herd of Registered Red Angus cows I don't know that I would be too eager to breed them all to Shorthorn bulls either. Right now I would rather somebody else be the guinea pig.

I don't know much about hot climate cattle, but HerefordXAngusXGelbvieh doesn't sound like something you'd call Santa Cruz. How did Latin come into a mix of 2 Scots and a German? :lol:

I got one from a long time ago. My great-grand father called Jersey X Hereford or Jersey x Angus an Okie. Said it was the best tasting and tender beef you could breed for. But of course now a days they wouldn't make the feedlot guy much money. My uncle who raises dairy heifers still butchers the jersey cross steer calves for his freezer.

purecountry":33e7x5j1 said:
I don't know much about hot climate cattle, but HerefordXAngusXGelbvieh doesn't sound like something you'd call Santa Cruz. How did Latin come into a mix of 2 Scots and a German? :lol:

Santa Cruz doesn;t have any Hereford.

"King Ranch Santa Cruz cattle represent more than seven years of intense research and development aimed at creating a more market acceptable beef animal that produced superior results as both a feeder and seedstock animal. The new cattle are a composite breed, produced by first crossing Santa Gertrudis cows with Red Angus and Gelbvieh bulls. This initial union produces 1/2 Santa Gertrudis and 1/2 Red Angus males and females; as well as 1/2 Santa Gertrudis and 1/2 Gelbvieh males and females. These half bloods are then crossed back on each other to produce a 1/2 Santa Gertrudis, 1/4 Red Angus and 1/4 Gelbvieh composite animal, the finished product. This is King Ranch Santa Cruz, as composites are then bred to composites, fixing the characteristics desired in the cattle and demanded by today's beef market."

dun

The only other cross I can think of is Braunvieh (sp?) which, I believe, is Brahman (sp?) and Gelbvieh.

msscamp":1jepx5bj said:
The only other cross I can think of is Braunvieh (sp?) which, I believe, is Brahman (sp?) and Gelbvieh.

Braunvieh isn't a cross. They are a breed that originated in Switzerland.

El_Putzo":j4dlgre6 said:
msscamp":j4dlgre6 said:

Braunvieh isn't a cross. They are a breed that originated in Switzerland.

Sorry. :oops: I was told it was, thanks for the correction El_Putzo.

No prob. I wasn't positive myself until I went out to the Cattle Today mainpage and looked under "breeds". I think they might be similar in origin to Gelbviehs and some of the Simme's

Actually Braunveih I think originated in Germany and means brown cow in German.

msscamp":2mgb4uh3 said:

You believe incorrectly. Braunvieh is a distinct breed derived from Brown Swiss. They are the beef side of Brown Swiss the way SHorthorns are the beef side of Milking Shorthorns.

dun

Latest posts