Names of Cross Breds

Help Support CattleToday:

Lets not forget "tigers", Hotlanders and Barzona; and from down in Colin's neck of the woods Droughtmasters & Bravons.

And of course, how can we not mention the Hays Converters, always in such great demand by our friends to the far north. :lol:

msscamp":3e5txfx7 said:
The only other cross I can think of is Braunvieh (sp?) which, I believe, is Brahman (sp?) and Gelbvieh.

The Gelbray is a Brahman x Gelbvieh animal, but it can have a certain percentage of (Red?) Angus in it, if I recall. Not bad looking critters from what I can tell, but I've not seen a lot of them.

purecountry":1ny3i17c said:
If Red Angus and Shorthorn is a Durham - haven't heard them called that since Great Grandpa had em - what would you boys call a Black Angus X Shorthorn? If they come out blue of course it's a blue roan - or Blue Belles as Pappy called em.
Also, super baldies up here are Angus X Simmental, then Super Guppies are Red Angus X Gelbvieh

Actually...the shorthorn / angus cross is...you guessed it..."Murray Grey". :D ;-) :cboy: :) :lol:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":31melba4 said:
purecountry":31melba4 said:
If Red Angus and Shorthorn is a Durham - haven't heard them called that since Great Grandpa had em - what would you boys call a Black Angus X Shorthorn? If they come out blue of course it's a blue roan - or Blue Belles as Pappy called em.
Also, super baldies up here are Angus X Simmental, then Super Guppies are Red Angus X Gelbvieh

Actually...the shorthorn / angus cross is...you guessed it..."Murray Grey". :D ;-) :cboy: :) :lol:

no, no, no... for the most part everybody calls them blue roans. NOt until they are bred long enough to they turn into MGs... an F-1 angusXshorthorn will almost always be a blue roan.

southpaw":1xcucfhq said:
Actually Braunveih I think originated in Germany and means brown cow in German.

True, Braunviehs and Brown Swiss share a common heritage. ~150++ years ago the breeders who were focusing on milk production and the breeders who were focusing on beef production diverged and both went their seperate ways like Shorthorns and Milking Shorthorns did, though more successfully.

dun":51qvxf9i said:
msscamp":51qvxf9i said:
The only other cross I can think of is Braunvieh (sp?) which, I believe, is Brahman (sp?) and Gelbvieh.

You believe incorrectly. Braunvieh is a distinct breed derived from Brown Swiss. They are the beef side of Brown Swiss the way SHorthorns are the beef side of Milking Shorthorns.

dun

Thank you, Dun.

Brandonm2":3dc2hkja said:
purecountry":3dc2hkja said:

Well down here Angus X Simmental are called Sim-Angus. Those old fashioned Whiteface Simmentals are a dying breed down here. I left off the "Red" part. A Shorthorn x a Red Angus is NOW a Durham Red....
http://www.shorthorn.org/asa/tabID_3789/tailored.aspx
and can actually be registered as such.
This is going to be VERY interesting to watch the quality and performance figures as this new Durham Red Breed gets a foothold on the beef BUSINESS. Another example of how progressive breeders consider EPD's a vital tool in the development of good breeding seedstock. When one's head is in the sand, it is difficult to see the progress passing one by!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":qfwv1vz6 said:
Brandonm2":qfwv1vz6 said:
A Shorthorn x a Red Angus is NOW a Durham Red....
This is going to be VERY interesting to watch the quality and performance figures as this new Durham Red Breed gets a foothold on the beef BUSINESS. Another example of how progressive breeders consider EPD's a vital tool in the development of good breeding seedstock. When one's head is in the sand, it is difficult to see the progress passing one by!

DOC HARRIS
I hate to always be so skeptical; but I am not sure that Shorthorn is doing this to improve the beef biz as much as they need more registrations so are trying to get a few reg. Red Angus cow owners to register their calves with them and allow Shorthorn owners to use a Red Angus bull on heifers (Red Angus has a big birth wt adv over most Shorthorns) and still register the resulting calves. If a Durham Red is a better cow than a Red Angus or a Shorthorn (likely) and can pass on that superiority to the F2 generation (the BIG ?) this may eventually go somewhere. IF not this could just be another of the many, many minor breeds in this country that don't really contribute much to the industry; but which make larger cattle shows so interesting.

Brandonm2":1xgcazs0 said:
DOC HARRIS":1xgcazs0 said:
Brandonm2":1xgcazs0 said:
A Shorthorn x a Red Angus is NOW a Durham Red....

DOC HARRIS
I hate to always be so skeptical; but I am not sure that Shorthorn is doing this to improve the beef biz as much as they need more registrations so are trying to get a few reg. Red Angus cow owners to register their calves with them and allow Shorthorn owners to use a Red Angus bull on heifers (Red Angus has a big birth wt adv over most Shorthorns) and still register the resulting calves. If a Durham Red is a better cow than a Red Angus or a Shorthorn (likely) and can pass on that superiority to the F2 generation (the BIG ?) this may eventually go somewhere. IF not this could just be another of the many, many minor breeds in this country that don't really contribute much to the industry; but which make larger cattle shows so interesting.
B - 2, - I don't agree that you are skeptical! I think that you are probably 98.6% correct. It still specifies the importance of EPD's! That fact is indisputable.

DOC HARRIS

nicci heres some from Australia.

South Brahvon Brahman South Devon
Australis South Devon Angus
Droughtmaster
Belmonts
Charbray Charolais Brahman
Brahmousin Brahman Limousin
Brahmaine Brahman Maine Anjou
Adapteur Hereford Africander
Murray Grey
Braford Brahman Hereford
Greyman Murray Grey Brahman

That should keep you going. Did you get any of the floods in SA recently?
Colin

Springer, you truly are a 'poster boy' for your breed! :) Good on ya.

Doc, I agree EPD's are a very useful tool for a cattleman, especially in the purebred biz. But I don't know what to think about the Shorthorn's encouraging reg. of F1's and so on. I don't see an advantage for their breed, other than registrations.

I believe the Shorthorn breed here in Australia had an appendix register (grading up rego system) and permitted the use of Maine Anjou genetics to try and thicken them up or something. Now there is the occasional Shorthorn bull about that has some markings similar to the Maine Anjou breed. I think the Shorthorns are doing OK down here. I don't believe that they are as good in tougher rougher country as they used to be because of some US genetics. The Shorthorn breed used to be the backbone of cattle in the "outback" way outback, I mean, years ago till the infusion of Brahman blood which did remarkable things for the growth of the industry in our country.Santa Gertrudis have helped a lot as well,but fertility can be a problem with them.
Since then Angus have been introduced with not good results because of their colour which doesn't help with fly,tick and disease resistance. More often these days Charolais have been used to thicken up the Bos Indicus cattle in these tough areas.
There has also been Bazadaise used which seem to have gelled with the Brahman typed.
Colin

Colin, you took my answer - I was going to say Greyman. Love the name, love the cattle.

I'm sure somebody has already mentioned Santa Gertrudis - Brahman X Shorthorn. I'm a little dissapointed they didnt name the breed 'Shortman'.

Hillbilly hybred = dairy, usually Hosltein crossed with a scrub beef bull from the sale barn

Latest posts