Naive I guess

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
I go to town to get a cup of coffee and I get back and it's cold and I haven't finished my coffee so I'm driving around and on the back corner I have a gate on a county road, but I never use it and very seldom go down this raod.
I go by it and notice the johnson grass in front of the gate is stomped down so i go back and look.
Someone has waded through the ditch and shoulder high johnson grass and unlatched my gate and left it open so the cows could get out.
Being in a small town of mostly farmers and ranchers and 75 plus miles to a town of any size I feel like we are a lot like Mayberry, so I can't understand why someone would do such a thing.
The only thing that comes to mind is hunters from the metroplex, course I blame everything on them.
Deer corn sacks in the ditch, beer bottles everywhere, every road sign, windmill etc has bullets holes in them.
Blows my mind why people do the things they do.

cross_7":2ejewsmr said:
I go to town to get a cup of coffee and I get back and it's cold and I haven't finished my coffee so I'm driving around and on the back corner I have a gate on a county road, but I never use it and very seldom go down this raod.
I go by it and notice the johnson grass in front of the gate is stomped down so i go back and look.
Someone has waded through the ditch and shoulder high johnson grass and unlatched my gate and left it open so the cows could get out.
Being in a small town of mostly farmers and ranchers and 75 plus miles to a town of any size I feel like we are a lot like Mayberry, so I can't understand why someone would do such a thing.
The only thing that comes to mind is hunters from the metroplex, course I blame everything on them.
Deer corn sacks in the ditch, beer bottles everywhere, every road sign, windmill etc has bullets holes in them.

You nailed it when you said deer hunter.
There is something about that creature that will bring out the POS in a man.

chain and lock..even on my internal gates..people do dumb chit like let the hiefers calfs in with the bull...nieghbors..i hate em...i think i got a thread on here somewhere bout that

gary

I've got chain n lock on my back gates differant issue though , lazy is mine quads n dirt bikes to lazy to go around threw the woods , rather tear up my pasture . I don't know about yours but my cow's won't eat dirt. Thank goodness they didn't leave any thing open , yet .

I agree with Diesel.. time for a chain and lock. I got locks keyed the same on several of my gates.
As far as trash etc along the roadway and in my fields. Its always going to happen as long as there are people in the world.
I am continually cleaning up beer bottles, cans, plastic sacks, cartons, etc in my fields or ditches where these lazy people decide to throw em out.

Limomike":kzzuwwbo said:
I agree with Diesel.. time for a chain and lock. I got locks keyed the same on several of my gates.
As far as trash etc along the roadway and in my fields. Its always going to happen as long as there are people in the world.
I am continually cleaning up beer bottles, cans, plastic sacks, cartons, etc in my fields or ditches where these lazy people decide to throw em out.

I spend way too much time cleaning up in the same way Mike. We have locks on all external gates and about half the cross fence gates as well. Luckily they all use the same key so that sure saves a lot of time. It's amazing to me that POSTED and NO HUNTING signs don't seem to faze some people.

Posted signs are useless. They either get shot full of holes or in some other way desecrated or stolen. I don't know about other states but around here all land is posted whether there's a sign saying it or not.

Do what I did put up game camera's and prosecute them.
Word will get out not to get caught there. You might be real surprised to find out who is really doing it.

All my entry gates have chains and locks on em. You have to have a code to get in the automatic gates to the house. If you make it that far you have to get past two loud snarling pissed off dogs. Then there is the heavily armed owner. I don't trust anyone.

Cross 7 - If you decide to put a chain and lock on your gate, I would suggest putting a chain and lock on the hinged side too, because the last time my gate was left open was because someone took it off the hinges. Phil

SPJRanch":3gngj3ht said:
Cross 7 - If you decide to put a chain and lock on your gate, I would suggest putting a chain and lock on the hinged side too, because the last time my gate was left open was because someone took it off the hinges. Phil

I put a chain and found a lock in the pickup that i don't have a key for, probably a customer return that fell under the seat, so I hope I don't need to use that gate, ditch is cut too deep to cross now anyway.
The hinge side has a top hook down and bottom hook up and welded so it can't be taken off.
I sure hope it was an outsider that did it, sure would lose confidence in the world if it were a local.

The local feed store keeps everything out in an open yard, t-post, panels, trough and etc.
I asked the owners if she ever has anything stolen and she said no that there is only one thief around and evryone keeps an eye on him.

A few years ago I helped a neighbor put 2 Gates up on a hay field. The poachers were just driving in and picking up the deer they shot at night. The very first night the gates got stolen, besides just being poachers they were thieves also. There's a bunch of low life,
sorry people in this country.

Isomade":282lyf36 said:
All my entry gates have chains and locks on em. You have to have a code to get in the automatic gates to the house. If you make it that far you have to get past two loud snarling be nice off dogs. Then there is the heavily armed owner. I don't trust anyone.

I was thinking about baking a pie and going by to visit and sip tea on the veranda like affluent people, but to sound totally barbaric and uncivilized (where's the smiley faces ?)

Caustic Burno":tgav47hq said:
Lock is only good to keep out honest people.
Most Thieves are opportunists. 95% of the time they will bypass a locked gate and proceed to an unlocked one. Law enforcement will tell you thieves want "quick and accessible".

Isomade":vyp28lny said:
Caustic Burno":vyp28lny said:
Lock is only good to keep out honest people.
Most Thieves are opportunists. 95% of the time they will bypass a locked gate and proceed to an unlocked one. Law enforcement will tell you thieves want "quick and accessible".

They haven't met our crack heads locked gate is just another opportunity.
Heck every oil well around here has a lock on the gate, Anadarko is keeping masterlock in business.
They steal the sightglasses ,batteries , oil and solar panels on a regular basis.
The 250 acres I have leased across the road they were constantly breaking in, camera stopped that.
Now they are coming through the woods.

cross_7":3i4lpvp7 said:

Yep. We have a property 13 miles from our home property. We give 2-3 permits for each species, most hunters get for more than 1 season/species. If they come back & give reports on their success and if they saw anyone there, they continue to get permits. They watch the property when we can't.

My Dad worked construction and would sometimes work down town Minneapolis. At one job, the local dirtballs broke a bunch of windows on cars on day to see if there was anything valuable inside, but they skipped my Dad's car. Everybody thought he was just lucky until he told them he didn't lock his doors in bad neighborhoods because it kept people from having to break in. He just never kept anything valuable in the car. I'm sure the insurance company would have had a problem if the car was ever stolin, but fortunately that never happened.

Latest posts