My New SAV Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
Everyone out there has one of these in the pasture. EVERYONE!!!!

http://bit.ly/2vYap5W

Oh, wait, I hear it coming......"he's fat", "I would have steered him", "He'd be in my freezer" or "90 percent of my bulls are cut until only genetic perfection remains"

Folks, let's call it for what it is, if the majority of members on CT could produce the bull above, they would have him sleeping in the house with them.

Enough of the bullshyte.

I bet there was no mix up on the bull above either. Just a strong hunch I have.

Branded you haven't posted a picture of a bull that I wouldn't be proud to own or use. The problem is that I can buy the same quality bull a lot more reasonable right here in Georgia. I honestly don't see what all the hoopla is about.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:

Oh, wait, I hear it coming......"he's fat", "I would have steered him", "He'd be in my freezer" or "90 percent of my bulls are cut until only genetic perfection remains"

Folks, let's call it for what it is, if the majority of members on CT could produce the bull above, they would have him sleeping in the house with them.

Enough of the bullshyte.

Branded you haven't posted a picture of a bull that I wouldn't be proud to own or use. The problem is that I can buy the same quality bull a lot more reasonable right here in Georgia. I honestly don't see what all the hoopla is about.

Didn't you go to Florida a couple of years ago to buy bulls?

Ebenezer said:
True Grit Farms said:
Anyone can buy a straw of semen of any bull currently available. So it's a safe bet that there's more president bulls coming on line every day. Yet Branded is keeping their president bulls for cleanup? Why not AI to the real president and sell the bulls for $10k+ each? I can see not letting a president heifer go till things sort themselves out but there's an endless supply of semen available, and America the great will be out before you know it.
None of this makes any sense to me, I believe Branded is trolling us.
Must be something in his economics book. Hold, don't sell. Meanwhile he is turning blue from not breathing." :frowns:

Blue BH of Kentucky, keep on typing,
type on until all the hype is gone-e-e,
Blue BH of Kentucky keep on posting, send us long replies,
teach us all the ways we're wrong and you are true."

Yawn!

True Grit Farms said:
Anyone can buy a straw of semen of any bull currently available. So it's a safe bet that there's more president bulls coming on line every day. Yet Branded is keeping their president bulls for cleanup? Why not AI to the real president and sell the bulls for $10k+ each? I can see not letting a president heifer go till things sort themselves out but there's an endless supply of semen available, and America the great will be out before you know it.
None of this makes any sense to me, I believe Branded is trolling us.

I could be wrong, but locate a high quality President son for sale right now for $5k. I would be most interested in seeing him, and his AAA info.

************* said:
Now let's look at AI, everyone on CT seems to be an expert, so this shouldn't be hard to grasp. You get a straw of President, you get a cow settled, then you wait for a little bit over 9 months, assuming the calf, a bull is born and is healthy, then you wait another 14-16 months for him to be service ready, assuming he can pass a BSE. Now assuming everything goes absolutely perfect, he's ready to use on someone's herd. We are looking at a minimum two year process to create that SPECIFIC animal for a buyer. Jeanne, I agree, there can be a chance for a dud, but most of the time, if you have really good dams, the duds should be limited. So back to what I was saying, two years of work so you can hand him off for $3k. What are you smoking folks? You are valuing your time and effort at almost NOTHING. I will have no problem selling registered grandsons of President for $3k all day long here in the Bluegrass, why would I let a son of President go for less than $10k, at least right now?

How much more did it cost you to raise any bull compared to a President son?

I'd venture a guess and say less that a $100 difference (difference in the price of semen?)

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
Someone's smoking the wacky weed.

When are you going to post pics and vids of your President progeny? I for one am holding my breath, and turning blue. Don't forget to DNA test them first, might be an ole mix up at the "CO-OP", or "I've got so many head of cattle, and I'm so important, that when you AI 9000 head a year it's just hard to tell who is who?

I'm sure CT members can get together a Go Fund Me page to help you rustle up the registration and testing costs for a few calves for us to look at, we wouldn't expect you to test your entire herd, which probably rivals what XIT once had.

You're funny. I told you I had NOT bred President to any of my Registered herd. I only bred him to our commercial.

I didn't want to use him on my GOOD cattle.

My cattle check could buy your entire herd. So, you're laughable. All my registered herd have genomics. Keep fetching buddy.

Sorry you're unable to sell a PB bull for more than our commercials... if you ever want some advice, private message me.

Wait, how many bulls do you have in stud at the moment?

Maybe it's because I'm coming from simmental where we are slow to invest in new bulls, but wouldn't it make more since to just use Coleman Charlo, if you believe your cows already have the right stuff? Make your own President, and build off of what is already working in your herd kind of thing.

tut tut - be nice. Let's slow down. We are going to get locked.

BH - you don't get what I'm saying. I have cows in my herd that I could breed to a billy goat (exaggeration!!), and will always get a great offspring. And, there are some bulls out there that are the same way - but - right now, no one knows how consistent this bull is going to be. "Should" his calves be great - sure - right now (other than NE, LOL) he is being used on top registered cows, so his offspring on the ground right now "should" be top notch. I have no clue what his semen costs, but when I buy semen for $100 - $200/straw -- I darn sure don't use him on "iffy" cows.
The point is the OP purchased a bull, didn't request a pedigree, was excited that he got a President son and was super happy with his purchase. Now, he is not what he was supposed to be. Is he unhappy with his purchase?? Don't know, he's gone. Will the seller make right of the screw up? - I "assume" so.
Like you, I also would not be happy about a purchase on an animal of "top pedigree" that I researched before buying and it turned out bogus. Yes, I also would be stomping my feet - but, if my research liked the alternative bull used, I would be less upset. From what other Angus breeders are saying Raindance is also a good bull - both unproven!!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

BH - you don't get what I'm saying. I have cows in my herd that I could breed to a billy goat (exaggeration!!), and will always get a great offspring. And, there are some bulls out there that are the same way - but - right now, no one knows how consistent this bull is going to be. "Should" his calves be great - sure - right now (other than NE, LOL) he is being used on top registered cows, so his offspring on the ground right now "should" be top notch. I have no clue what his semen costs, but when I buy semen for $100 - $200/straw -- I darn sure don't use him on "iffy" cows.
The point is the OP purchased a bull, didn't request a pedigree, was excited that he got a President son and was super happy with his purchase. Now, he is not what he was supposed to be. Is he unhappy with his purchase?? Don't know, he's gone. Will the seller make right of the screw up? - I "assume" so.
Like you, I also would not be happy about a purchase on an animal of "top pedigree" that I researched before buying and it turned out bogus. Yes, I also would be stomping my feet - but, if my research liked the alternative bull used, I would be less upset. From what other Angus breeders are saying Raindance is also a good bull - both unproven!!!!
could turn out to be,the best thing to happen to him...

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
************* said:

Enough of the bullshyte.

Didn't you go to Florida a couple of years ago to buy bulls?

The owners of the bulls live in Florida, I bought the bulls in Alabama. There's excellent bulls for sale all over the southeast for reasonable prices. Crazy thing is, BSE breds about the same way as Gizmom, and Branded breds similar to both of them, except he has the hoopla. Gizmom has some really good bulls that are bred for our environment. I really need to buy a couple of more bulls from them.

Hook2.0 said:
ALACOWMAN said:

could turn out to be,the best thing to happen to him...
Especially if the rest of the president fanboy club reacts like bh

Branded is trying to push president, but he's not willing sell his? Makes no dang sense to me, but Branded is no dummy. My guess is, he has something going on that were not in the know about.

************* said:
I had never DNA parent tested my cattle. Last year, I DNA tested the whole herd down to replacement heifer calves (including parent testing). I had ONE cow come back that the sire did not match. She was purchased - they checked a clean up bull used on that farm (son of AI sire) and it was a match. They re-issued registration papers on the only two daughters out of the cow. But, all my cows calve in a separate pen, so no chance of switching. Other than a couple of years using a clean up bull, my farm never has a breeding age bull on it. Even when I owned a mature bull, I partnered with another farm that kept the bull year-round other than the 30 days I used him.
I have to say, it seems a bit lax to have such a huge enterprise with coop farms involved and not DNA parent testing.

Saying red flags should have come up because "he only brought $5000" is a bit ridiculous. We all saw pictures of the bull and he looked great. I would venture to bet that there are President sired calves out in the industry that absolutely do not warrant $5000. NO bull produces 100% perfect phenotype offspring - even bred to flush sisters.

Jeanne, you are right!

Someone takes a straw of President and uses him on a non-registered, regular cow, and gets a bull, It's a pretty safe bet to say that he will struggle to bring much of a premium. Case in point. I go to the yards, buy a $300 cull cow, I manage to get her settled to President and get a bull, he's probably not going to bring much.

You are in the registered business, you know how it works. There are people out there using President on some VERY NICE cows, and for that effort, they are going to command more than $3k for the animal. In our state, that is close to the price you get for a registered grandson or great-grandson, not a direct son. Listen to the auctioneers when they say "this great-grandson is from such and such" Most sales here in the Bluegrass put the direct AI sons at the front of the sale, and after they sell, almost always at a premium, most people are walking out, and by the end of the sale it's usually just the bargain hunters left and the people looking for a free meal. I can't recall a registered Angus sale that I've seen in Kentucky whereby every last animal sold was a direct son of a top AI sire, and proven via DNA, and where the ENTIRE CROWD remained until the last bull was sold. The majority of registered bulls sold in Kentucky are multiple generations away from the sire that the auctioneer is squawking about.

A direct son, from a top dam, that is problem free, and has excellent phenotype has a completely different market than a great-grandson that is not even DNA tested. You know that.

Not true. I've been to countless registered sales in the bluegrass area and all the bulls are AI sired. The only place I know of to buy naturally sired bulls are the weekly stockyard sales or Craigslist. You're beginning to make info up to support your position.
I've tried to stay out of this silly debate, but who are you marketing your bulls to? Other seedstock providers our commercial operations?
I'm commercial and a bull from a proven AI sire is much more valuable to me than an unproven sire. Raising cattle can be challenging enough without rolling the dice on a bull that may or may not be as good as his low accuracy epds indicate.
I'd think most seedstock producers worth their salt are not in the market for a high dollar cover bull.. Not when they can buy the straw and make one for themselves.

Who knows why James (BH) is trumpeting Rainmaker so dog gone much, seems like a decent bull, comes from a great line of cattle, but so does Rainfall and Raindance. By dumping all of these ET bulls onto the market SAV and Baldridge make a bunch of money, but I don't think it benefits the folks who bought the bull, but it's their money, spend it how they want. I wouldn't want to invest in a stud bull when there are a bunch of duplicate copies. Maybe Chuck pays James a nickel every time he posts something about Rainmaker.

sim.-ang.king said:
Maybe it's because I'm coming from simmental where we are slow to invest in new bulls, but wouldn't it make more since to just use Coleman Charlo, if you believe your cows already have the right stuff? Make your own President, and build off of what is already working in your herd kind of thing.

Not a bad suggestion.

I have some bred right now to Charlo, but I don't have Blackcap May 4136, which is one reason I used President.

CreekAngus said:
Who knows why James (BH) is trumpeting Rainmaker so dog gone much, seems like a decent bull, comes from a great line of cattle, but so does Rainfall and Raindance. By dumping all of these ET bulls onto the market SAV and Baldridge make a bunch of money, but I don't think it benefits the folks who bought the bull, but it's their money, spend it how they want. I wouldn't want to invest in a stud bull when there are a bunch of duplicate copies. Maybe Chuck pays James a nickel every time he posts something about Rainmaker.

If I were using War Party you would be cheering on everything I say about him, that's just how it goes.

Lazy M said:
************* said:
I had never DNA parent tested my cattle. Last year, I DNA tested the whole herd down to replacement heifer calves (including parent testing). I had ONE cow come back that the sire did not match. She was purchased - they checked a clean up bull used on that farm (son of AI sire) and it was a match. They re-issued registration papers on the only two daughters out of the cow. But, all my cows calve in a separate pen, so no chance of switching. Other than a couple of years using a clean up bull, my farm never has a breeding age bull on it. Even when I owned a mature bull, I partnered with another farm that kept the bull year-round other than the 30 days I used him.
I have to say, it seems a bit lax to have such a huge enterprise with coop farms involved and not DNA parent testing.

Saying red flags should have come up because "he only brought $5000" is a bit ridiculous. We all saw pictures of the bull and he looked great. I would venture to bet that there are President sired calves out in the industry that absolutely do not warrant $5000. NO bull produces 100% perfect phenotype offspring - even bred to flush sisters.

Jeanne, you are right!

Someone takes a straw of President and uses him on a non-registered, regular cow, and gets a bull, It's a pretty safe bet to say that he will struggle to bring much of a premium. Case in point. I go to the yards, buy a $300 cull cow, I manage to get her settled to President and get a bull, he's probably not going to bring much.

You are in the registered business, you know how it works. There are people out there using President on some VERY NICE cows, and for that effort, they are going to command more than $3k for the animal. In our state, that is close to the price you get for a registered grandson or great-grandson, not a direct son. Listen to the auctioneers when they say "this great-grandson is from such and such" Most sales here in the Bluegrass put the direct AI sons at the front of the sale, and after they sell, almost always at a premium, most people are walking out, and by the end of the sale it's usually just the bargain hunters left and the people looking for a free meal. I can't recall a registered Angus sale that I've seen in Kentucky whereby every last animal sold was a direct son of a top AI sire, and proven via DNA, and where the ENTIRE CROWD remained until the last bull was sold. The majority of registered bulls sold in Kentucky are multiple generations away from the sire that the auctioneer is squawking about.

A direct son, from a top dam, that is problem free, and has excellent phenotype has a completely different market than a great-grandson that is not even DNA tested. You know that.

Not true. I've been to countless registered sales in the bluegrass area and all the bulls are AI sired. The only place I know of to buy naturally sired bulls are the weekly stockyard sales or Craigslist. You're beginning to make info up to support your position.
I've tried to stay out of this silly debate, but who are you marketing your bulls to? Other seedstock providers our commercial operations?
I'm commercial and a bull from a proven AI sire is much more valuable to me than an unproven sire. Raising cattle can be challenging enough without rolling the dice on a bull that may or may not be as good as his low accuracy epds indicate.
I'd think most seedstock producers worth their salt are not in the market for a high dollar cover bull.. Not when they can buy the straw and make one for themselves.

Name an Angus operation in Kentucky where EVERY bull in the sale was a direct AI son? I asked my ABS rep who should know better than I do, and he said he has never seen a major sale here where EVERY SINGLE bull is sired via AI and is proven with a DNA test for parentage.

Please post the operation, I want to see their AAA sale report, just curious.

************* said:
CreekAngus said:

If I were using War Party you would be cheering on everything I say about him, that's just how it goes.
No I wouldn't because I think it would be over kill. James one of the things I like about you, is you have a direction you want to go in and you're steadfast in that. But too often your cheering section of one gets a bit too loud. I get that you think Rainmaker is a great sire and fits your program, I agree, I think he's better than his sire, who is no slouch. In the future I may end up using some of those genetics, more than likely, not. Like you I have a steadfast direction I want to go in. Like you I want to be an outlier of the breed. I respect the direction you want to take your herd in and what your goals our, you and I they aren't all that much different, but I'm not into cheerleading for a bull I don't own.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
Someone's smoking the wacky weed.

When are you going to post pics and vids of your President progeny? I for one am holding my breath, and turning blue. Don't forget to DNA test them first, might be an ole mix up at the "CO-OP", or "I've got so many head of cattle, and I'm so important, that when you AI 9000 head a year it's just hard to tell who is who?

I'm sure CT members can get together a Go Fund Me page to help you rustle up the registration and testing costs for a few calves for us to look at, we wouldn't expect you to test your entire herd, which probably rivals what XIT once had.

You're funny. I told you I had NOT bred President to any of my Registered herd. I only bred him to our commercial.

My cattle check could buy your entire herd. So, you're laughable. All my registered herd have genomics. Keep fetching buddy.

Sorry you're unable to sell a PB bull for more than our commercials... if you ever want some advice, private message me.

It's really difficult to have any respect at all for you when every comment you post becomes personal, and quickly at that.

One thing is for sure, if this hillbilly, bumpkin from Kentucky can get your feathers so ruffled, I must be doing something right.

Check out another one that was born on 5-12. In addition to the Supercharger son earlier in the day

http://bit.ly/2Vup9Uh

Her dam would be able to provide shade for your cows. LOL!

You know enough about EPD's to know what this one will be capable of producing. Just look at that milk!!! Do you understand milk, and what it does?

President daughter out of a 2200 pound dam, what's not to love???? :wave:

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

It's really difficult to have any respect at all for you when every comment you post becomes personal, and quickly at that.

One thing is for sure, if this hillbilly, bumpkin from Kentucky can get your feathers so ruffled, I must be doing something right.

Check out another one that was born on 5-12. In addition to the Supercharger son earlier in the day

http://bit.ly/2Vup9Uh

Her dam would be able to provide shade for your cows. LOL!

You know enough about EPD's to know what this one will be capable of producing. Just look at that milk!!! Do you understand milk, and what it does?

President daughter out of a 2200 pound dam, what's not to love???? :wave:

I don't milk EPD is one I don't trust.

CreekAngus said:
************* said:
CreekAngus said:

No I wouldn't because I think it would be over kill. James one of the things I like about you, is you have a direction you want to go in and you're steadfast in that. But too often your cheering section of one gets a bit too loud. I get that you think Rainmaker is a great sire and fits your program, I agree, I think he's better than his sire, who is no slouch. In the future I may end up using some of those genetics, more than likely, not. Like you I have a steadfast direction I want to go in. Like you I want to be an outlier of the breed. I respect the direction you want to take your herd in and what your goals our, you and I they aren't all that much different, but I'm not into cheerleading for a bull I don't own.

I respect what you just posted.

Like I said on another post, I sincerely hope your AI program is a success. It's not an insignificant undertaking.

It takes hard work to have anything worthwhile.

Considering that only about 3-5% of the entire U.S. cattle herd is AI, you are already ahead of the game. Right?

Latest posts