My little guy has a eye problem.. Please help..

Help Support CattleToday:

Racing4funn,

I know you said he was off his feed and I remember something Milkmaid wrote about her vet saying that pain took energy. If you'll get that calf treated immediately, when the pain begins to subside (and that calf is bound to be hurtin'), his eating will pick up.

Alice

Alice":202krs9o said:
racing4funn":202krs9o said:
OH my GOD my dad goes out there and puts salt in his eye :mad:

I not think this is pink eye

Are you serious...come on now...salt in his eye? Who the he11 would put salt in anything's eye?

This is a joke, right? Salt in his eye. If your dad really and truly did do this, then I hope that calf kicked him to he11 and back.

Alice

My thoughts also ;-) But its not going to help this guy's eye..

Thanks for all the advice.. Im going to get right on it.

I've never seen such a young animal with cancer eye, it has always been in older animals. Has anyone seen cancer eye so young before?

I think it is pinkeye - it has ulcerated...you can see he has lost the convex of the eye and it has flatened out... get him treated, get the infection taken care of, he will lose his sight, but should recover other than that.

more than likely needs to be removed and sew the eyelid shut it aways amazing that folks has time too take picture but not to work on their cattle that calf need work one end too the other

That calf needs La200 for a couple of days. I've seen much worse. I had one given to me about 3 years ago that had pinkeye so bad that one eyeball ruptured and completly split open. It healed up nicely went back into shape. It was white there after but we saved the other eye. He was a fine animal after all. As far as the salt or bleach in the eye... I doesn't hurt them any worse than Furox or any other topical spray for pinkeye. They will tare the barn down whatever you use. I vaccinate but if one comes in with signs of pinkeye I hit him with a cup of 30% bleach solution in that eye and they are better the next day.

Hippie Rancher":2pezabv5 said:
you can see he has lost the convex of the eye and it has flatened out...

I don't see it - can you explain? Looks like it's only the conjunctiva to me. Maybe a little white over the pupil but I was thinking it was just the photo???

I could be wrong, but that is what it appears to me...

i've seen cancer eye in young cattle...I have herefords though...that calf has pigment so if it was cancer eye then it'd be rare...but that's about exactly what it looks like when i've seen it...maybe a little more red...i've never seen pink eye that bad though...not even stage 3...and the eye looks fine to me...as someone said in an earlier post...it looks like just the conjunctiva is swollen out

Years ago we had similar looking things happening. The cattle would get so much crud down around the eyeball that the conjunctive tissue would get inflamed and poke out. We had some stuff that you spary in the eye and it numbs it so we could use a finger down around the eyeball and fish the gunk out. Then a shot of antibiotic in the conjuntive tisseu and thye'ld be good to go for another 6 montyhs or so.

dun

well whatever it is...i'd leave it alone and go to the vet...let them deal with it :) ...if I dont know for sure what it is...then I dont mess with it

I've seen it that bad and worse.

When you rent out bulls, you learn quickly which ones have the proper cattle management and which ones don't. Had a bull come back last summer with pink eye and we had to dr him several times before it cleared up. I also learned to not get on his blind side either to drive him. About a month ago, the mentor had 2 young bulls come back with pink eye in both eyes.

I don't care who you are, that's just laziness, inept management and I would have rather they have squirted salt water in their eye than just do nothing (probably the reason behind it was that the bull didn't belong to them so they didn't care what happened.....)

update: The vet recomended LA200 and gave some cream to put in the eye. Here are some pictures after a day of treatment. I dont think his eye can be saved.

ShowPicture

ShowPicture

will someone explain my picture posting problem?

Not sure what your pic problem is - I use photobucket.

That eye looks pretty bad, but you never know - if smehting else doesn't happen to it the swelling may go down. You might want to try a shut-eye patch to keep the flies and dirt off of it...

Whae exactly did the vet say?

Tried the link, 3 times but it wouldn't come up.

I have used salt many times to combat pinkeye. True, its not the most humane, but it does work if caught early enough.

Latest posts