My little guy has a eye problem.. Please help..

Help Support CattleToday:

racing4funn

Reaction score
There is a picture of the eye
ShowPicture

ShowPicture

He is 9 weeks old and doesnt have a mother anymore. He has been eatting grain but maybe not as much lately and I was woundering if its because he dosent feel well? What should I do about the eye?

why do the pictures not show?

racing4funn":3t6m45w5 said:
There is a picture of the eye
ShowPicture

ShowPicture

He is 9 weeks old and doesnt have a mother anymore. He has been eatting grain but maybe not as much lately and I was woundering if its because he dosent feel well? What should I do about the eye?

why do the pictures not show?

I think they don;t show because they're not in a www format. Cutting and pasting and they work

oooohhhh! This little guy's got a bad case of pinkeye? Or some kind of miserable eye infection.

And yeah, he's not eating 'cause he doesn't feel well. Pinkeye is hard on a calf.

Get some penicillan and squirt it in his eye...if ya' can, up under the eyelid. Don't use any of that pinkeye powder...it'll burn like he!!.

I use mastitis medicine on pinkeye/eye infections and it works well. And, an oxytetracycline injection would be a good idea.

And, for goodness sakes, if you've never encountered anything like this, call the vet and get his take on it. That eye looks awful.

I've had calves come here that their eyes looked like that and we got them better, but it was with due diligence, let me assure you.

Good luck,

Alice

racing4funn":3kchc5gq said:
PINKEYE.. I thought that was a while/pink film over their eye ball.. Is this real.. I should call a Vet tomorrow!

Pinkeye, left untreated, is virulent sh*t.

YES, call the vet!

Alice

racing4funn":25rd2qtm said:
OH my GOD my dad goes out there and puts salt in his eye :mad:

I not think this is pink eye

Are you serious...come on now...salt in his eye? Who the he11 would put salt in anything's eye?

This is a joke, right? Salt in his eye. If your dad really and truly did do this, then I hope that calf kicked him to he11 and back.

Alice

racing4funn":u8apuny5 said:

Salt wont help this ones eye. Should have been worked up and treated days ago. If you have a trailer, load him up and carry him to the Vet's, or get the Vet to come out to your place.

Alice":qy6kna6y said:
racing4funn":qy6kna6y said:

Are you serious...come on now...salt in his eye? Who the he11 would put salt in anything's eye?

This is a joke, right? Salt in his eye. If your dad really and truly did do this, then I hope that calf kicked him to he11 and back.

Alice
Aunt Alice, for what it's worth, I've seen a bunch of old timers throw trace salt in Cattle's eyes for years with Pink Eye. Guess it goes back as way before any antibiotics, or real remedies.

Crowderfarms":3pz9b111 said:
Alice":3pz9b111 said:
racing4funn":3pz9b111 said:

Alice
Aunt Alice, for what it's worth, I've seen a bunch of old timers throw trace salt in Cattle's eyes for years with Pink Eye. Guess it goes back as way before any antibiotics, or real remedies.

Whoa...it's just so hard to wrap my mind around salt in anything's eye.

My apologies, racing4funn...and to your Daddy, also.

Thanks crowder...Aunt Alice owes ya' one.

took the liberty of uploading the pic for you, racing4funn. Hope you don't mind.

Alice

ShowPicture.jpg

Thanks, crowder, I was just fixin' to post that...bleeeech!

Alice

Nothings going to save the eye, but with a vets help you should be able to save the calf.

mnmt

Might not be cancer eye - young animal and it looks to me like there might have been a foriegn object in that conjunctiva.

If he is a pet, I would take him to the vet. If there is a sticker or seed head or something in ther he can get it out, or if it really is cancer eye the eye can be removed and the calf will probably be fine.

My grandfater put salt in their eyes. Sometimes the old remedies have a solid basis, not sure about this one, I sure don't do it, but there is a principle of applying a counter-irritant to an ailment that sometime does work - maybe that was why they did that - and really if you think about it, saline solution (for contacts, cleaning your eyes etc) is salt water, and if it is in concentration it sure can kill/prevent bacteria....so maybe there is something to it...but yeah ooowwwwwiiee

Might want to try a little grain or some calf manna or something like that too.

I would suggest feeding this calf more, too. He is definitely on the skinny side.

Latest posts