My Fat Bottomed Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
How ya feeling Slick? It's been a minute since we heard from you I believe.

Looks like I'm going to live. Ain't been so easy with the breathing tho. Start cardiac Rehab next week so I hoping to get my wind back. Thanks for asking!
Good looking rear ends for sure.
Did you have heart surgery?
Cardiac rehab...
Been there..done that and got the teeshirt to prove it..literally.
It wasn't bad other than having to drive over to Kingwood and back 3 days a week for 12 weeks and it did me a ton of good.
My B-I-L dropped out after a few days and he's had breathing trouble ever since.

Great looking calves. I have a soft spot for that style of steer calves. Used to run straight Blonde d'Aquitaine bulls for many years here.

slick4591 said:
gaurus said:
wow, nice claves! Do double muscled calves still get docked at the sale barns?

Thanks! Last ones I took that showed the extra muscle did. My guess was around a dime.

Would anyone be kind enough to explain why would that be? Double muscled beef is about the most tender beef.

greybeard said:
Good looking rear ends for sure.
Did you have heart surgery?
Cardiac rehab...
Been there..done that and got the teeshirt to prove it..literally.
It wasn't bad other than having to drive over to Kingwood and back 3 days a week for 12 weeks and it did me a ton of good.
My B-I-L dropped out after a few days and he's had breathing trouble ever since.

No t-shirt, but like you, I joined the quadruple club. I don't think my air would be so bad, but I had pulmonary fibrosis before the surgery. Even on oxygen I can't get very far without a break.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
USDA didn't used to grade double muscled cattle at all. Not sure if they will now. So, they are discounted.
Slick, hope you have great recovery!
Edit - and your cattle look awesome - as usual!

Thank you, Jeanne. Probably the most logical explanation I've read. Somewhere someone needs to wake up to what these animals produce and change the attitude that lean meat can be tender.

I agreed with you. Pieds and Blues are pretty good cattle and they produce great tender beef.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
But, the industry has to satisfy the mass population of meat eaters, and research shows TENDERNESS is the number 1 factor that makes it a "pleasing eating experience".

I'll take tender over tough any day. Reminds me of a county cattleman's meeting we were at a couple years ago. The meals are usually real good and that one was ok too except the steaks were tough. The plastic cutlery didn't hold up to the task. Some were resorting to using their pocket knives. I wasn't keen on using mine cause I know where it's been. A friend that I know to be the same way was using his and passing it around the table. I used it too after several others had. Hoping that by the time I got a hold of it any impurities had already been rubbed off.

Nice looking calves in the video. I don't know much about Piedmont's have only seen a few. Used to be a bred heifer sale in the mountains of east Ky. There for a few years a consignor would have a few piedmont's and crosses. They looked like good cattle to me though those did seem a bit lighter boned and smaller than I expected them to be. Always wondered what kind of cows they would have made.

True Grit Farms said:
I eat beef because I like the taste, being tender has very little to do with it. The most tender beef cuts have the least flavor. IMO

I know I sound like a breed pimp, but I think you'll find both with pieds.

Ky hills said:
Nice looking calves in the video. I don't know much about Piedmont's have only seen a few. Used to be a bred heifer sale in the mountains of east Ky. There for a few years a consignor would have a few piedmont's and crosses. They looked like good cattle to me though those did seem a bit lighter boned and smaller than I expected them to be. Always wondered what kind of cows they would have made.

Lighter boned is a breed trait. They are later maturing, so unless you are crossing to a lbw black or whatever I'd advise to breed no earlier than 18 months for most fullblood over fullblood matings. They normally make excellent mothers.

slick4591 said:
True Grit Farms said:
I eat beef because I like the taste, being tender has very little to do with it. The most tender beef cuts have the least flavor. IMO

You need to enter your steers in a beef challenge. Hitting prime is more difficult than what your led to believe.
https://beef.caes.uga.edu/programs/georgia-beef-challenge.html

True Grit Farms said:
slick4591 said:
True Grit Farms said:

You need to enter your steers in a beef challenge. Hitting prime is more difficult than what your led to believe.
https://beef.caes.uga.edu/programs/georgia-beef-challenge.html

Since the commercial grading part is really a mute subject my steers have no chance in competing. A steak challenge where flavor and tenderness would shine.

True Grit Farms said:

The most tender beef are Double Muscled,(Lean and Healthy) and Highly Marbled beef(Jersey, Wagyu, Angus, seems like they have healthy intramuscular fat), I wonder if Piedmontese have been cross to scranny Wagyu/Jersey cows and see how their beef compares to either parent.

Latest posts