My Daughter's Show Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Mama_Mutschler

Reaction score
These are the pictures that I took of my Daughter's Steer last night. I'm not sure how to post pictures into this message but i'm gonna try. They are the in the gallery under recent. Titled either Teddy, Teddy then or Teddy now. Anyway check him out and tell me what ya'll think.

Thanks.

scan0002.jpg

100_1528.JPG

scan0001.jpg

100_15291.JPG

100_1526.JPG

100_1527.JPG

100_1525.JPG

We can't get him to the scale so I'm going to buy one of those weight tapes and see what it says tonight. Don't know what else to do. When we last checked his weight in Jan he was 896.

What does Staggy mean?? I think I know but would like clarification.

Staggy means they look kind of like a bull (bigger crest on neck, heavier fronted, bigger sheathed) and can be due to them being castrated late, or in some extreme instances, not here, when they were castrated they just got one testicle. He is heavier fronted but not bad. He looks pretty good to me, lot of length, and has good muscle and depth. He may be a little high in the flank but that should fill in with more feed, he's sure grown since the last picture though!

With rinsing and combing you can get that old dead hair out so he has a nice black coat. Comb and blow it forward, instead of straight down, so that it begins to "pop" out and that will make him look bigger. You may know or being doing this but in the picture it looks like it's going straight down so that'd be something to work with. Looks good though, Good Luck!

Might not hurt to see if he has one nut up inside.

Was he cut or ringed? Most important - did you see it done or were you simply told it was done.

You got the correct definition of stag from Anguscollegekid.

This guy has something going on - or he is getting some hormones from somewhere.

If you had not told me he was an "it" I would have figured you were showing me a yearling bull.

Bez>

I used the weight tape on him tonight and according to that it was at 77inches which would amount to something close to 1250 if I understand correctly how it works.

We usually do brush him straight forward.

No I did not see him casterated I was told that he was. That is something that I am looking into right now.

We are going to have the Vet come out on Monday and give him the full go over because everyone says the same thing.

I got a nose lead for him today to use until we can get a bull ring in him. He's gotten so big and I'm really starting to get worried.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Mama_Mutschler":3991r4zs said:
I used the weight tape on him tonight and according to that it was at 77inches which would amount to something close to 1250 if I understand correctly how it works.

We usually do brush him straight forward.

No I did not see him casterated I was told that he was. That is something that I am looking into right now.

We are going to have the Vet come out on Monday and give him the full go over because everyone says the same thing.

I got a nose lead for him today to use until we can get a bull ring in him. He's gotten so big and I'm really starting to get worried.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Look, I know you might think I am sounding like I am nagging, or sounding like a broken record - but listen to you - just the way you are writing.

Now you are saying that you are worried. This animal has your number and he is more than it seems you or your daughter can handle.

You are apparently also showing other animals as well if I read you correctly.

You have been adding extra work on this animal for nearly a month now - work, time and probably some money that could have been spent on the other animals.

I figure you are up against a rock - or at least a hard spot. What you put into this animal, you could have put into the other(s).

I also figure you are a bit scared of this guy. Nothing to be ashamed of if true. And by the way - HE KNOWS IT!

Time to eat this one in my opinion - cut your losses. Now it's extra vet bills to boot.

If he needs to be cut again - it will set him back and yet again you will have more time and more money in this thing. Cattle are every where and the worst thing you can do is fall in love with one.

If he does not need to be cut he still looks staggy and that will go against you. Good beef animal - but I figure as show he is going downhill not up.

Cattle are stupid, stubborn, and love to take up your extra available time. I been following this for a month now. I figure he is eating material. Hold the vet and haul him to the big pasture in the sky - he'll taste good with a little extra finish.

You can take this the right way or you can take it the wrong way - but show folks are the worst for doing this type of thing and in the end it costs you.

Even if he was the greatest thing going, if you cannot handle him you are in trouble - I would not be surprized if he hurt you or your daughter. And he ain't getting any smaller. And for what? A ribbon and some money?

That's the last from me on this one - best thoughts - take care.

Bez>

Bez>

You are right and I know that. My husband and I agreed that we would finish the feed that he currently has and then tell my daughter that he's going to the table.

I know I can't handle him and I'm tired of the bruises because he's not getting any better. I just wanted to know what other's thought so that I could talk my daughter into it without her thinking that she had just given up. I am more than ready for a good ribeye out of this one. I don't want the extra vet bills or the ribbon. I just want my daughter to have peace of mind on giving up this one.

Thank you so much for all you've said it has made the decision easier for me and will give my daughter some relief.

Mama M,
I think you made the right decision! I know it was hard but I bet your daughter will be okay with it.
By the looks of him she did a good job of taking care of him. He does'nt look like he missed any meals :lol: I am sure she has learned alot and she can be proud of what she did accomplish. Sometimes one of those nasty creatures comes along and no matter how hard the kids try they just can't tame the beast.
Tell her to concentrate on doing her best with her goat. I wish her all the luck in the world!!!

I'm not sure how it is most places, but my sister and I have bought all our calves and paid for all the feed after our first year of showing, so that means I have been doing that for 10 years. Don't automatically assume that the parents do all the work and pay all expenses. Sorry if this sounds mean, I'm not the greatest with words :cboy:

cowboyup216":1rtd3vqf said:
Who purchased this animal? Who furnishes it's feed? Who pays it's vet bills? If you do then who cares what your daughter thinks. Id tell her to get a job and get her another one. Kids today have it to easy. Any time I asked for money as a kid my parents always told me "GET A JOB". I am not being cruel in my opinion just stating fact you are the one taking the loss here not your daughter so who cares if she is ready to give up on it or not. Have the slaughter house put a bullet in it. Tell the daughter her steer just up and died and yall carted off. In 14 days feed it to her on her plate. She will be none the wiser. ;-)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! me and my dad have an agreement. i take care of the calf...that means EVERYTHING, but he will pay for feed and other supplies it may need. as long as im feeding and working with them the moneys mine and everything else to do with the calf. i dont really think it makes sense but, hey like im gonna fight that deal. but i also do alot of other work on the farm to kinda pay off for feed and vet bills.

Well after deciding that my daughter's steer was gonna go to slaughter, she came home from her vacation and decided that she wasn't done yet. she bought a Nose Lead and wouldn't ya know it he's a perfect gentlemen.

All the steer are doing great. They are all ready for show. We have started them on EZ-Fill and are walking them lots everyday. I can't believe that everything is working out so nicely.

Anyway just thought I would let you all know that she wasn't ready to give up and it paid off for her.

Mama_Mutschler":ps962dlz said:
Well after deciding that my daughter's steer was gonna go to slaughter, she came home from her vacation and decided that she wasn't done yet. she bought a Nose Lead and wouldn't ya know it he's a perfect gentlemen.

All the steer are doing great. They are all ready for show. We have started them on EZ-Fill and are walking them lots everyday. I can't believe that everything is working out so nicely.

Anyway just thought I would let you all know that she wasn't ready to give up and it paid off for her.

Good for her! Will she be able to show with a nose lead? (just wondering) Best of luck with him and I hope things continue to go well for all of you!

Mama_Mutschler":bdqt92nq said:

how old is your daughter??Good luck..He looks "unhappy" in the pictures :p how old is he???When do you show???

My daughter is 15 1/2. Her Steer is only 11 months I believe. She cannot show with the nose lead but she's hoping she won't have too. In the mean time I'm gonna focus on the other kids and their animals. Let her do her thing.

Why isn't she allowed to show with a nose lead? (just wondering)

Hopefully he will learn enough manners that he will be alright when she takes it out.

He looks good for 11 months. FWIW, if he was mine I would have persisted with him.

Good luck.

Well we took the nose lead out on Sunday and had no problems with him at all. My daughter did wear it around her neck so that he would see it.

He acted up a little bit after being out for over 3 hours. We bathed him, walked him blew him out and then we were working on his pen and he decided enough was enough.

She put the nose lead back in and he settled down again. I'm really thinking that she's turned him around rather well.

He's not an unhappy guy he just gets really impatient when he's tied up and hungry. I fed him after I took the pictures.

We show at our first show in 3 weeks, then fair is in 7 weeks.

They cannot show with a nose lead because our fair is 100% natural. They cannot use anything other than a halter and showstick.

If you are showing at the San Diego County Fair you might be able to use the nose lead, I know that last year there was a shorthorn steer with a nose lead. If you are using to control because he has a bad habbit and it not wild I bet they will allow it. After all the steers that got loose at the auction I'm sure animal control is hi on their list. Call 858 792-4283 and ask the livestock office. I looked through the rules and it never addresses nose leads, a natural show meens no product on the animal, you blow them out and show.

Latest posts