My Daughter's Show Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

You know.. sometimes a person gets hung up on "not giving up". I think that is commendable, but I also think a person has to realize when they are fighting a losing battle, and be willing to give up and go on to something else.

Your daughter is going to have a hard time trusting the steer number 1, and he does look bullish, which means he probably isn't a good prospect anyway.

I have to agree that your freezer would be the best place for him at this point. It doesn't mean she's a quiter.. it means she weighed her options and make a informed decision that he wasn't worth more effort and more feed.

Word of advice... IF you and your daughter do decide to keep and show him... work him with the nose lead every day up to the fair. The show itself should be the only time your daughter doesn't use it. It's so easy for us to "test" the animal to see if they're OK with using a regular halter, or riding the horse in a milder bit, or taking the dog's ecollar off, but it's also so easy for the animal to figure out when they're wearing the equipment that means "behave", and when they're wearing the "show stuff." Especially in this case, you do not need him figuring out that sometimes he has the nose lead and has to obey... and sometimes he doesn't.

Latest posts