my calving story

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
I'm checking cattle to today and i see 2 cows off by themselves and i go check them.
When i get close i see a new baby calf and the 2 cows fitghting over it.
i start closer and 1 wants to charge the horse and i'm afraid it's going to step on the calf but i can't tell which cow has had a calf.
i back off and watch for a while but they both are licking the calf and trying run the other off.
I head back to the pickup and get the binoculars and by the time i get back 1 cows has walked off a ways with the calf and the other is down having a calf.
i guess 1 didn't remember she hasn't had a calf yet :???:

cross_7":3vlqa7yx said:
I'm checking cattle to today and i see 2 cows off by themselves and i go check them.
When i get close i see a new baby calf and the 2 cows fitghting over it.
i start closer and 1 wants to charge the horse and i'm afraid it's going to step on the calf but i can't tell which cow has had a calf.
i back off and watch for a while but they both are licking the calf and trying run the other off.
I head back to the pickup and get the binoculars and by the time i get back 1 cows has walked off a ways with the calf and the other is down having a calf.
i guess 1 didn't remember she hasn't had a calf yet :???:
I had the same thing last week but it went on for two days till the other one had her calf.

Had one a few years ago the lost her calf and ended up sharing one with another cow. Then they both started sucking each other. Ended up culling both of them!

Kernsie, I had it happen with a couple of 7 year olds a couple of years ago. Had to get them in the barn to see who's calf it was, separtae them, and the other one had her calf 3 days later. gs

A Jersey I used to have would do that. She loved babies. After the 1st incident I would make sure she was bred well in advance of the rest of the herd for 3 reasons----#1- so I would have her "ready" if I needed her for any of my calves.
#2- I would freeze some of her colostrum "just in case" it was needed.
#3- So she would already have HER baby and be less inclined to "steal" another.

Katherine

Lots of our milk cows when they are T-24 hours from calving will lick another cows calf off and claim it untill they get closer to labor themselves. Makes it easy to see who is going to calve next!
Also them real strong maternal beef cows seem to gather up and help take care of the new calf for a little while.

Latest posts