My bull is a traveler ... now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule":jet4xpl1 said:
If you go the electric fence route, consider running at least two strands of hot wire 5-10 feet inside the fence that borders your neighbor's pasture. That way may keep them from touching heads. Once they touch and push on each other, I don't think they care about what kind of barbed wire you have, nor how many strands, nor about how hot the wire is...

Your exactly right in that once a bull figures out his own strength he's going to be a problem his whole life. What about when he's moved to a different pasture or to a different property. The neighbor on the other side gets some cattle. Nothing but trouble. Sell him and get a New bull. start him with some hotwire on a good wire fence. Hope he doesn't go bad.

Finished with Gatorade rules quote..

I'll sell a bull for jumping a fence way before I'll worry over a spot in the wrong place. :dunce:

Go buy another bull about the same age and size and run the old bull and the new bull together. This works. My father taught me this many a year ago. Bulls have to have someone to challenge each day. Two bulls will challenge each other and stay home. How do you know if the next bull you buy will not be in the neighbors pasture. What do you have to lose with
the two bull solution. If does not work you can keep the new one and sale the old.

If you have a small herd, it's kinda ridiculous to keep two bulls.

If you go the AI route and get rid of the bull entirely, then his bull may come to your place visiting the girls.

Definitely need a no-man's land zone.. if they get close, they don't care about anything anymore.

Gators Rule.. Have I got the bull for you.. stays home nicely, has spots.. leads on a rope, and come begging for fly spray.

You could build a smaller pasture bull proof type pen. And bring the cows to him when they are ready to be bred.

Gators Rule":2i41nmdl said:
Once they touch and push on each other, I don't think they care about what kind of barbed wire you have, nor how many strands, nor about how hot the wire is...
I've seen one streaming blood from nose to tailhead and down both sides...and that's just from getting thru the fence to the other bull.

greybeard":2rmvl6hj said:
Gators Rule":2rmvl6hj said:
Once they touch and push on each other, I don't think they care about what kind of barbed wire you have, nor how many strands, nor about how hot the wire is...
I've seen one streaming blood from nose to tailhead and down both sides...and that's just from getting thru the fence to the other bull.

Got that right if they can touch noses and blow snot on each other it's on.
I have never been able to stop one after they learn they can get out other than putting wheels under them.

If you unpack his bag he would probably stay home, but he wouldn;t get any cows bred.

Latest posts