My bull is a traveler ... now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to keep a young Brangus bull at home? The Simbrah girls next door seem to have turned his head ...

What do I do now? I can't sell him and buy another one. Do I just get used to getting calls from my neighbor? Thankfully, he runs a Brangus bull, too, and he don't care much that mine comes visiting.

Do I invest in a game-quality high fence on one side of my property? I don't have that kind of money either.

Sale barn is a sure cure .

If you can't keep your animals at home you should sale all of them . it's your duty and responsibility. Can you afford him getting out and hit by a car and people die??

Lots of really hot wire and a no-man-zone will probably help, but to call it a sure cure, well, that it wouldn't be.. a 10+J, 10+KV energizer is a good place to start.

Old timers would put a ring in their nose with a few feet of log chain on it. Should put the brakes on jumping if you can't part with him.

RanchMan90":3a2fimn9 said:
Old timers would put a ring in their nose with a few feet of log chain on it. Should put the brakes on jumping if you can't part with him.

I know of one fellow that has done that. He also put a yoke on one of his goats.

Seriously, I'd either off-load him and install some good solid fence and high-powered electric, prior to installing the next bull (this way he doesn't have the opportunity to learn how to escape).

Or, get some hot wires up, pronto! That's fine that your neighbor doesn't seem to mind too much, but there will be that one time when the bull is out and he's not in your neighbor's field and at that point he is a huge liability.

What kind of fence is between you and your neighbor? I like a good strong six strand with stays.

Why can't you sell him and buy another? Heck you might find someone with a better setup and more cows that would buy him then take the money and buy a young bull or go to AI.

Have you tried putting him in a different pasture for awhile?

How many cows do you have him with?

You can try a hot wire. You could sit out there with a paintball gun an shoot him every time he gets close to the fence if that don't work try a 22 with rat shot.

After the third time he wouldn't have to worry about him I would have the sheriff impound him. Life is too short to put up with a pain in the butt neighbor or cow.

CowboyBlue":1uzgdypu said:
Any suggestions on how to keep a young Brangus bull at home? The Simbrah girls next door seem to have turned his head ...

What do I do now? I can't sell him and buy another one. Do I just get used to getting calls from my neighbor? Thankfully, he runs a Brangus bull, too, and he don't care much that mine comes visiting.

Do I invest in a game-quality high fence on one side of my property? I don't have that kind of money either.

Buy another bull to run with him. That way he will have another bull to fight with. Good chance he is breaking in to have a fight with the neighbors bull.

neighbors kept doing that to me and he finally put a single electric HT line on his side of the fence.

fixed the problem. I just spent 6k on a new woven wire fence and he was destroying it.

Another consideration is whether your neighbor has a closed herd and a solid vaccination program (and vise versa). Potential liability should not be taken lightly; guy was killed and his wife seriously injured when they hit a bull last year that was out. Hot wire, upgrade your fence or load him on the trailer.

As my Daddy used to say, "it don't cost a Da__ed bit more to feed a good one than it does a sorry one."

it is your responsibility to keep your livestock contained....do what it takes.

Think outside the box. Sell your wandering bull. Switch to oppisite calving season as your neighbor and lease his bull in his off season. Both of you will get a break with the headache of having a bull for 6 months.

If you go the electric fence route, consider running at least two strands of hot wire 5-10 feet inside the fence that borders your neighbor's pasture. That way may keep them from touching heads. Once they touch and push on each other, I don't think they care about what kind of barbed wire you have, nor how many strands, nor about how hot the wire is...

Latest posts