My black hereford pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin":2gcgqjon said:
As far as I am concerned this dominate and recessive gene thing may work in the lab but out here in the real world it's a bunch of crap.

SL, it does work. But the dominance/recessive relationship is only one of many relationships that exist within and between genes. As Knersie (I think) said, the white face mustn't be controlled by a simple mendelian dominant/recessive relationship. Unfortunately I have not had enough experience in animal genetics to tell you exactly how the white face is passed along.

Black exists in a dominant/recessive relationship. Not all colours do. For example, red and white in shorthorns is a co-dominance relationship. Neither the red nor white allele is dominant or recessive.

When you join a red animal (RR) to a white animal (WW), you get

----| R | R |
-------------------
W | RW | RW |
-------------------
W | RW | RW |
------------------

all roan calves (RW).

When you join two roan animals (both RW)

-----| R | W |
---------------------
R | RR | RW |
---------------------
W | RW | WW |

you get 50% roan calves, 25% red calves and 25% white calves.

Google "Gregor Mendel" - you should come up with something regarding simple mendelian genetics. You might also be able to find something about more complex genetics.

Sir Loin":1bjkewoe said:
We use a Hereford cow and Black Angus bull cross to produce a black baldy calf that is used as a replacement animal.
OK? Got it?

That is a wise thing to do.

Sir Loin":1bjkewoe said:
If you can: Which class, grade, quality or what ever you want to call it, of beef AKA meat, has the highest demand on it today?
SL

If your talking about which breed, it's obviously Angus. They, as a breed, are in high demand because of obvious positive traits such as mothering ability, carcass traits, milking ability, etc. But there are other breeds that can do those things equally as well.
If your talking about beef, then that is also Angus. Angus beef is in high demand, not because it's better, but because the AAA has convinced the public that it's better through an excellent marketing campaign. Convincing someone that a product is better doesn't particularly make the product better. If you use Angus because it makes you more money, that's great. Many, many people do, and I don't blame them. If you think Angus beef is better, fine, but I've seen no proof anywhere that the beef is better than that of some other breeds. I think Angus beef is good, but I also know I can get just as good a product from other breeds, especially the english breeds. The problem for those breeds, as far as market share goes, is that they haven't marketed their product as well as Angus has.
Now after all that, you still haven't answered the question I asked last night:

Now here's where I'm really confused: The other night you said that Angus produced the best beef and that Hereford beef was inferior to Angus. I disagree, but since you feel that way, why would you want any Hereford in your herd to begin with? Why not just raise straight Angus?

I'll ask it a third time. Why, if you think Hereford beef is inferior to Angus, do you use Hereford genetics? Why not just raise straight Angus. Wouldn't that produce a better, more profitable product in your eyes?

grubbie":21ynkhxt said:
Ummm,......I just wanted to post a picture of a pretty calf.

And I thank you for it...it is a beautiful calf, I don't care what anyone calls it. I've always wanted one, just because I think it's somewhat unusual and very nice to look at.

If others want to make a big buzz out of it, that's their problem. Thanks again for the pic.

Alice :)

Van,
You are simply going have to slow down if we are going to get anywhere.
My question was:
If you can: Which class, grade, quality or what ever you want to call it, of beef AKA meat, has the highest demand on it today?
Do you see the word "BEEF"?
We raise cattle and sell beef.
Do you raise cattle and sell cattle or beef?

The BEEF we sell has no hide on it and the buyer is free to set his/her own requirements/specifications of that beef and breed or color of the hide of the animal plays no part in those requirements/specifications.

A good example of when the hide color does play a part and a list of their requirements/specifications that some buyers use.
Cattle that is at least 51% black and exhibit Angus-type characteristics are eligible for "Certified Angus Beef" evaluation. However, it must meet all eight of the following criteria to be labeled "Certified Angus Beef" by USDA Graders: [9]
• Modest or higher degree of marbling
• Medium or fine marbling texture
• "A" maturity
• Yield grade 3.9 or leaner
• Moderately thick or thicker muscling
• No hump on the neck exceeding 2 inches
• No evidence of internal hemorrhages
• No dark cutting characteristics
Other buyers are free to set their own criteria, and most do not include any hide color or spacific breed. All they are concerned with is the quntity and quality of the meet (AKA beef).
Now to answer your question: Which is the best beef?
A.The beef that has the highest demand on it, as it will produce the most dollars per pound.
Now if you ask me what breed is best to fill this demand you will first have to tell me what you perseive to be the demand in todays market place. And as all buyers are free to set their own criteria one can only take an educated guess as to demand.
Now here it comes.
IMO ( IN MY OPINION) the demand THAT PRODUCES THE BIGEST BUCKS are the top of the line cuts of meet. As long as the buyers other specifications (totally unrelated to USDA) criteria are meet.
Now as only 2% of the beef produced in the US is classified as USDA PRIME that is what is causing the demand from buyers who write their own clasification of prime as does CAB.
Now again: IMO ( IN MY OPINION) the cattle breed (s) that will most likely consistently (key word) produce the quanity and quality of beef (meat) that is in demand by buyers that will make the biggest bucks is a composite with the main influence being Black Angus, depending on the buyers specification, which are subject to change without notice and between buyers.
I recently read a website by a buyer of cattle and a seller of beef who claims all of their meat is choice plus. (note: it does not say USDA choice)
What does "choice plus" mean? Could it simply mean the "best beef"?
SL

Sir Loin":2qmf70mf said:
What does "choice plus" mean? Could it simply mean the "best beef"?
SL

Choice plus is a grade of meat with a marbling score of "moderate". It's a little better than choice, but not quite as good as prime. Is it the "best beef"? For some, maybe, but not for others. Some people like lean beef. For them, a choice or prime steak would not be the "best beef". That's been my whole point all along. There is no "best beef". It's a matter of taste.

That's all. I'm done, as we've gone way past the point of hijacking this thread.

grubbie- I apologize. That's a beautiful calf, BTW.

Sir Loin":20ylt1zp said:
The BEEF we sell has no hide on it and the buyer is free to set his/her own requirements/specifications of that beef and breed or color of the hide of the animal plays no part in those requirements/specifications.SL
Does your boss know that you are selling his BEEF? Of course your angus composites will bring you the most money when you stole them to start with.

Latest posts