Murray Grey cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy44

Reaction score
I have just started researching the breed , one place I read it will be the breed of the future, how much is hipe or fact I do not know. What I have seem of them I do like. Who has information on them using bulls for breeding commericial cows to sell calves at sale barn would be interesting information. good or bad. Thanks

Cowboy44: We have purebred and commercial Murray
Greys. That breed choice is the best decision we made
in 1995 when getting started...they are all they are hyped
up to be in my opinion. I have no information about
sale barn prices. Any animals that we do not sell private
treaty for breeding stock are generally finished out for
direct-market beef. Cull cows go to the butcher for
ground beef, also sold direct. If you use a murray bull
on almost any colored cow, you will get a chocolate
colored calf(polled)....all the way from cocoa to dark hershey colored. I suspect sale barn buyers would
think it is an angus cross.
We have a couple of heifers in this year's auction that
are 1/4 angus and 3/4 murray grey....instead of the chocolate
color, they arrived in the silver category. Here's a link to the
"gallery" page of the auction if you want to see what they
look like: http://tinyurl.com/rmzdf

good luck!

cowboy44":1djh7d90 said:
Who has information on them using bulls for breeding commericial cows to sell calves at sale barn would be interesting information. good or bad. Thanks

We've raised them since the late 70's. Our herd is primarily registered, and we sell the steer calves through the sale barn. We usually take a small hit because Murray Grey's are a little finer-boned than Charlois (one of the bigger breeds around here), but are often mistaken for them. That is not necessarily true in other areas. You would have to do a little research to find out about your area.

I run both purebred & crossbred MG cattle. I have no problem selling the crossbred calves as feeders right off the farm. The thing that I like about using a MG bull on my crossbred cows is that the calves tend to be uniformly thick and colored from dark dun/grey to a lighter grey/silver. I consistently have calves that average 500 lbs at 180 days.
Excellent breed of cattle...I can't say enough good things about them, and would strongly recommend them to anyone!

mgman":3c0jk94f said:
I consistently have calves that average 500 lbs at 180 days.
Excellent breed of cattle...I can't say enough good things about them, and would strongly recommend them to anyone!

So do we. I agree that they are an excellent breed of cattle. The only thing I can see wrong with them is that they have not been/are not being promoted as they should be, and are an unknown breed to too many people.

We use a murray grey on our heifers which are comm. cattle. There around 50lb at birth and they put the meat on faster than anything Ive ever seen. When we sell them at the salebarn they call em ang-char cross and Ive never been dissappointed in the price.

Cowboy44,

In response to your question about MG's being promoted as the "breed of the future"; it seems that nearly every breed has been promoted as such at one time or another. Most of the latest and greatest breeds have never succeeded to the degree that they hoped.

Though I've never owned any MG's I am intrigued with them and feel that they offer many positive traits to the beef industry. Just not sure if they are the "breed of the future." Then again; I'm not sure what breed I would give that label to.