Murray Grey Bull results....Lots of pics

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't remember what the murray grays were derived from, I think shorthorn x black angus? I just saw some a little while ago, the ones in the pics here look nicer than what I saw. We always found we take a bad hit at the sale yard for anything that isn't an angus or hereford around here, so we're trying to stay with a solid brown... some nice calves there though!

Nesikep":12rmukk5 said:
I can't remember what the murray grays were derived from, I think shorthorn x black angus? I just saw some a little while ago, the ones in the pics here look nicer than what I saw. We always found we take a bad hit at the sale yard for anything that isn't an angus or hereford around here, so we're trying to stay with a solid brown... some nice calves there though!

Yep roan Shorthorn and Angus. They say the same about angus in Aus as well, my father is talking about buying an Angus bull to cross with the MGs but hopefully I can talk him out of it :) . If they're good cattle they sell ok anyway.

I'm small time.
And the first place I want to sell my calves is to the end consumer.
They aren't nearly as interested in the color as the commercial market.
They're more interested in the inputs or lack there of, and of course it's got to be quality meat.

The last place I want to have to sell them is the sale barn.
Too many (IMHO) ridiculous factors dictate cutting my end profit.
I understand why these factors are in place, I just work around getting beaten up by them.

Plus, I like a little assorted color in the pasture.
Especially when it's wrapped around something meaty beefy big and bouncy.
(imagine an emoticon licking his chops) :)

angie":3l09hkzr said:
I think your calves look wonderful... Nice thick, sturdy calves, ~ the kind you look at and think "Ah! Now there's the beef!". Good work! :tiphat:

funny Angie...

you don't LOOK like Clara Peller!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some very nice calves. I have a neighbor who used a Murray Grey bull on his Santa Gertrudis cows with excellent results. He liked them so much that he saved several heifers. They are uniformly smoky in color and seem to be raising very nice calves when bred back to a Santa Gertrudis.

My favorite Brahman influenced cow is an F-1 white faced tiger stripe or brindle. But next would have to be Gerts.
A friend had some for many years before he got out and I always thought of them as just good solid stock that just did what they were supposed to do.
I'd like to see that cross.

I too have a MG bull. As your pics show the calves are born small but the weight starts to gain quickly and by 6 to 8 weeks of age hardly seem to be the same animal. Enjoyed the pics and looking forward to a current pic of the bull. Do you find the cows to be easy keepers? I really like MG temperament. I can catch and castrate any bull calf in the pasture without worrying about the cow. She will just stand nearby and maybe snort worst case.

You cattle and calves really look great, was a good cross...

The many different colors would be O.K. with me because I sale beef to private partys , but at the sale barn they sure are not very uniform and around here you would take a hit....

I would have use a black bull, angus or not , you calves would have been more uniform look...main black or B. baldies

Latest posts