Mower engines?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Same zero turn mower with a 48" deck comes with either a 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Professional Series or a 18.5 gross hp Kawasaki FS600V. Seems like lots of hp difference. Are they rated in such a different way?

Is Kawasaki better than Briggs?

dun":3sx308m2 said:
I se those 2 makes as a wash, as long as it isn;t tecumseh
Are Tecumseh engines still around? Had one and it was fair, seen lots of trouble from ones others had though.

Had good luck with Kawasakis and they are good. The newer briggs are good. Had to.replace an engine on a ztr year before last. It had Kawasaki and the replacement engine was 1500. I got a Briggs for 900. Ive been pleased so far.

I have a John Deere garden tractor with a Kawasaki engine and it is a lot quieter and burns bout half the gas as the mower I had with a Briggs it replaced. I probably wouldn't own another mower unless it had a Kawasaki engine.

I've heard good things about Kawasaki from my cousin who owns a lawn service. Briggs isn't what it used to be and I prefer Honda over Briggs. My dad's ZTR has a Kohler Command and it has been a good engine.

On Tecumseh from Wikipedia:

In 2007, the company's former gasoline engine and power train product lines, which is what the company had been most known for, were sold to Platinum Equity LLC, which does business as Tecumseh Power. Tecumseh engine products at one time were sold in over 120 countries. In December 2008, the company closed its engine manufacturing division.[3] TecumsehPower sold off its Peerless transmissions business to Husqvarna Outdoor Products.[3]

On February 10, 2009, Platinum Equity LLC announced that Tecumseh Power Company had sold certain assets of its engine business to Certified Parts Corporation. This included the sale of existing and unfinished engine parts inventory, tools to make finished product and certain intellectual property assets. Certified Parts Corporation also assumed responsibility for warranty of previous engine sales.[4]

In an interview published by The Janesville Gazette on February 10, 2009, Certified Parts Corporation President Jim Grafft said "that he plans to move the engine operation to Rock County, Wisconsin, where he owns three facilities in Janesville and one in Edgerton, and will initially supply parts for Tecumseh Power engines. Grafft also said that his company could eventually resume engine production, which Tecumseh Power ceased in December 2008".

On September 1, 2010, Certified Parts Corporation (CPC) of Janesville, WI announced it had entered into an agreement with LCT, (Liquid Combustion Technology) of Travelers Rest, SC to jointly manufacture air-cooled engines for the outdoor power equipment market. The agreement provided CPC with engineering, manufacturing, and sales capabilities allowing it to reintroduce the Snow King line of snow thrower engines and other engines formerly manufactured and sold by TecumsehPower. The engines are exclusively represented by LCT, and sold under the Snow King, Lauson, and LCT brands and serviced exclusively by CPC and the existing TecumsehPower dealer/distributor network. Traditionally, the Snow King line of engines had powered more snowthrowers than all other brands combined.

LCT's horizontal 4-stroke gasoline engine product offering was extended by this agreement and allowed CPC and LCT to provide single cylinder and V-twin vertical engines to outdoor power equipment manufacturers. According to Larry Zeman, VP of Winter Engine Products for LCT, "This establishes LCT as an engine manufacturer of choice as it continues to engineer a new generation of power."

MudHog":n12pwiuf said:
I've heard good things about Kawasaki from my cousin who owns a lawn service. Briggs isn't what it used to be and I prefer Honda over Briggs. My dad's ZTR has a Kohler Command and it has been a good engine.
My personal preferences run Honda, Kawasaki, briggs.

Latest posts