Moved Daughter Off to College Today

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Well, we moved our oldest daughter off to her first semester of college today. Emotions are running pretty deep around here. Even the middle sister that pesters the snot out of her was boo hooing.

Skyline try not to worry . The schools make special effort for first year students, after all it's in their best interest that she is successful as a student there and wants to stay .Both you and your daughter will be in my prayers tonight .

Larry

My daughter ran out here like a scalded pup. Have had her here on the tractor mowing for the last two weeks. She will be starting her junior year at Texas.......If by chance your daughter is going to UT drop me a line . My daughter and another girl have started a club for kids from small farming and ranching towns

I dread the day when "the bug" leaves me. It just won't be the same. I can't even imagine what you are feeling. You are in my prayers but I'm sure you have instilled the values in your daughter so she will do well.

I remember well driving Steven to Amarillo and moving him into the dorm. When it was time to leave, I just cried my butt off for about an hour.

Times change. He wanted to move back home for the summer and I said no. :D

It's hard to see your babies move. But my house is so clean without him here leaving a trail of wrappers in his wake. And I have a spare bedroom. It is just part of the process. I love him to death, but I had to put my foot down and insist he stay and work there, since he has a full time job in his profession. he'll take his State Boards in Spring. I am looking forward to not having to carry him on my auto insurance and not having to send him money every month.

You raise them to stand on their own and plan their whole childhood for the times like this. Then when you turn them out, you are the one who is not ready.

Thanks all. Sleep wasn't easy last night. My wife talked to her late last night on the phone. Prayers are definitely appreciated. I know it's not the same, but I am relating to my momma cows running around the pasture bawling when we wean their calves.

My daughter is going to school at Dallas Baptist. I feel really great about the school and feel that it's a perfect fit for her. I'm afraid she would have been swallowed up and spit out whole at TAMU (my alma mater). She has a solid foundation under her. I admire her for her values at this point in life. I was nowhere near as mature when I was her age. My goal is to try to relax and trust our good Lord to take care of her. But sometimes that relaxing is not so easy...

Thanks again for the kind words.

heres wishing your daughter good luck at collage.an that everyone adjusts to her being gone.i know its hard for you to send her off to collage.

Skyline
It sounds to me like she has had as good a start from you as she could possibly get. she will do fine,and you will always be there to help her up if she falls. Give it a few days and you'll be fine.

Next time try some of that fenceline weaning maybe it will be easier :lol:

3waycross":2gr1h1gp said:
Skyline
It sounds to me like she has had as good a start from you as she could possibly get. she will do fine,and you will always be there to help her up if she falls. Give it a few days and you'll be fine.

Next time try some of that fenceline weaning maybe it will be easier :lol:

:lol: I think that we started fenceline weaning when she got her drivers license. Unfortunately, I don't think the weaning process was complete when we dropped her off yesterday!

Thanks for the laugh! :lol:

Skiline

I wish you and your daughter the best. I am sure she will do fine, from what I can tell she comes from good stock. When I went off to college, my parents knew I was a pretty good kid but was still unsure how I would deal with day to day life on my own. I think from time to time I impressed mom and dad on my ability to fix things or able to cook something other than Ramen Noodles. Point being is, your little girl at some point and time will be faced with a problem, ever how little or big it might be and she will take care of a problem and you will be able to set back and grin ear to ear because she's your daughter!

By no means do I fully understand what your going through and wont till I have one of my own. My fiancé left for college for her last semester Sunday.I am a good bit older and her. We have been dating for over a year and a half and just got engage in July. Each time she leaves it get harder and harder. I be glad when December gets here. She and I are planning on getting married in April 2009.

My daughter starts at MTSU next week. She grew up too fast. Fortunatly she is staying at home and commuting. She entertained UT and David Lipscomb but she says she is not ready to make a go of it on her own in a dorm and wished to stay closer to home. I did not discourage her :D

I just moved my daughter back to Auburn for her second year. It does get easier as time goes by. I still talk to her every night. I send her corney text one liners from time to time. I think this helps just to let her know we're thinking of her. My son is 16 and started some college classes this year. He is still at home though. When he goes off we will have an empty nest. Your Daughter will be fine. The ones that have trouble are the ones that have had everthing done for them. Some kids don't even know how to wash cloths. The ones that have had responsibilities at home will have no trouble adjusting. To be honest its kinda funny watching the kids that have no clue as to how the real world is. Your daughter will adjust and belive it or not she will come to see that those early responsiblites have made her more prepaired to be a adult.

We moved ours into the dorm Sunday. Thought momma was going to be the one missing her baby. I think it is me missing her more than mom. Guess I just worry about her and hope she can handle what life throws at her. Sure miss the help feeding and checking cows too.

My daughter is going to school at Dallas Baptist. I feel really great about the school and feel that it's a perfect fit for her. I'm afraid she would have been swallowed up and spit out whole at TAMU (my alma mater). She has a solid foundation under her. I admire her for her values at this point in life. I was nowhere near as mature when I was her age. My goal is to try to relax and trust our good Lord to take care of her. But sometimes that relaxing is not so easy...

I am a DBU graduate. They will take good care of her.

I will be startin my sophmore year at TAMU. I remember being dropped off by Dad my first semster. He helped me bring some clothes up to the dorm, shook my hand and told me i better study plenty. She may be nervous skyline but just wait a few weeks and you will be wonderin why she hasnt called and its going to be because she is having to much fun.

larryshoat":1hv38q9g said:
Skyline try not to worry . The schools make special effort for first year students, after all it's in their best interest that she is successful as a student there and wants to stay .
Larry

Not necessarily. The University of Wyoming makes a special effort for first year students, but that effort is to flunk out the pretenders and less than serious students among the general population because they are state funded and cannot reject an in state applicant. I would imagine the same thing holds true for other state universities, as well.

msscamp":2hoa0ub4 said:
larryshoat":2hoa0ub4 said:
Skyline try not to worry . The schools make special effort for first year students, after all it's in their best interest that she is successful as a student there and wants to stay .
Larry

Not necessarily. The University of Wyoming makes a special effort for first year students, but that effort is to flunk out the pretenders and less than serious students among the general population because they are state funded and cannot reject an in state applicant. I would imagine the same thing holds true for other state universities, as well.

Msscamp, I think you're right. You can sure get lost in the larger public schools. I had classes as a freshman and sophmore at TAMU with about 100 to 200 other kids. My profs in those early classes never knew who I was or if I was in class or not. But it's a great school and I got an incredible education that I wouldn't trade. I just don't think that those large public schools are right for everybody.

As for my daughter, I took her to about 6 or 7 schools during the summer before and the fall semester of her senior year. DBU was the first school we visited and our whole family felt that it was a very special place. My daughter compared all the other schools to it and never really waivered off of it, which was interesting to me because she knows nobody from back home that goes there. It's a smaller private school, and I think they do put a lot of effort into helping the freshman get transitioned. They even let the freshman register for classes before the upperclasses, so they can get the best schedules. I think her largest class will have about 20 people in it. I was really impressed and in my heart I know she is exactly where she needs to be.

She called yesterday and we had a good chat. I wish I could say that the seperation between her and the family is getting easier already, but not really. I've told her and my wife that we need to be looking 2 weeks down the road. This temporary uneasiness is going to get a lot better and we're all going to get used to it.

msscamp":33y1c0ox said:
larryshoat":33y1c0ox said:
Larry

:lol2: :p I agree.

UW has a 50% freshman dropout rate. :eek:

milkmaid":3jqafpdq said:
msscamp":3jqafpdq said:
larryshoat":3jqafpdq said:
Larry

:lol2: :p I agree.

UW has a 50% freshman dropout rate. :eek:

Excuse me , that statement was meant for encouragement not as factual information :lol: .

Larry