Mother passing

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Been gone for a couple of weeks watching my Mother die. She had a stroke and was unable to swallow so basically she starved to death. She was 95 and lived a pretty good life.

The problem I'm having is that we allow animals to be put down to relieve suffering. It's the humane thing to do - and I agree with it. Unfortunately, we don't allow the same mercy to be applied to human beings. Have any of you watched a loved one die of starvation? Not an very pretty sight. Dr. Korvorkian was a saint. It's too bad our do gooder leaders put him away.

lavacarancher":b792a1qj said:
Been gone for a couple of weeks watching my Mother die. She had a stroke and was unable to swallow so basically she starved to death. She was 95 and lived a pretty good life.

The problem I'm having is that we allow animals to be put down to relieve suffering. It's the humane thing to do - and I agree with it. Unfortunately, we don't allow the same mercy to be applied to human beings. Have any of you watched a loved one die of starvation? Not an very pretty sight. Dr. Korvorkian was a saint. It's too bad our do gooder leaders put him away.

My Fathers greatest fear is suffocating. He is dying from COPD. This is not going to be good. Thanks for sharing and my deepest condolences!

BTW you are right about Kevorkian!

Please accept my sympathies for your loss....

I agree that those who seek to protect us overstep the bounds.....

A competent individual should have the right to determine the end of their own suffering.

lavacarancher":2o5xo5hh said:

Sorry for your loss may God bring comfort to you and your family.
It is tough, ten years ago on June 6 lost Dad to a 3 year battle with Alzheimer.
I watched him die slowly for three years it was horrible.
I prayed everyday that he would die rather than suffer not knowing anything or anyone.
We all have that journey to make one day some ways are a blessing to us and our families.
The others are haunting to our souls in what our love one's had to bear.

My deepest condolences!

Yes, I have watched someone die and it made me so angry to know that I could do nothing to help. I do believe that we have the right to self determination and should be allowed to choose our own fate and end suffering. An agreement with a doctor assigning him/her to make any health decisions on your behalf should you become non compos menis should be made. Whether you call it mercy killing, euthanasia or something else it should be allowed in certain cases. I also realize the negative side of legalizing something like this where people could take advantage of the situation but surely with all the brain power out there in the system something could be worked out.

I don't think I would want to put it in the hands of doctors....after all keeping you alive in the hospital is their business. and a very lucrative one.

they cover their butts by telling you that the end could be near.

TexasBred":ejfc3xxl said:
Were feeding tubes not used "at the family's request"??

My mother (and my father as well), had a doctors directive in place at their time of death that stated no artificial means were to be employeed to keep them alive. No feeding tubes , no respirators, no heart machines, nothing. In my mothers case she had a stroke which rendered her unable to swallow which means no food or water. She starved to death. And since she was such a strong woman it took two weeks and a day to do so.

Thanks, everyone for all the kind words.

My condolences to you and the rest of the family LR...but it seems things were done exactly as your mom and dad wanted it. God Bless.

I have stood exactly where you are now.
It is not easy.
With my mother the whole ordeal lasted a long time and it just wore me down. It affected my well being and I still have not recovered after four years.

All I can say is realize and accept that it happened and it is over. You can't explain it, justify it,or anything else.
Just realize that "it is" and go on from there.

Just read this thread now, sorry for being late.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers and condolences to you and your family.

I agree with regards to the Kevorkian comments. Just over a year ago I lost my dad. Not easy to watch. He did it his way, as best he could. For a month he talked about that sort of thing and couldn't understand why we can end the suffering of an animal but not of a person, and he was in his right mind. He had cancer and opted to go without treatments of any kind. We respected his choices. But it wasn't easy.

Katherine

lavacarancher":eadqgv10 said:

I'm so sorry your mother and family had to go through that. I used to be 100% against Kevorkian and his ilk until I watched a couple of loved ones die painful, undignified deaths. Reality slapped me hard and I'm now strongly in favor of people making their own decisions on such things. We tend to see things differently up close than we do from afar.

Ryder":38cn3311 said:
I have stood exactly where you are now.
It is not easy.
With my mother the whole ordeal lasted a long time and it just wore me down. It affected my well being and I still have not recovered after four years.

All I can say is realize and accept that it happened and it is over. You can't explain it, justify it,or anything else.
Just realize that "it is" and go on from there.

I guess I feel really guilty at the relief I felt when she took her last breath. The feeling that she's gone and we'll never see her again is something I think I can deal with. But the feeling that I was so releaved when she did pass, well, I don't know how to handle that. I know I need to stop beating myself up and that in time it'll pass. And it will.

Thanks,

Earl

Latest posts