Mother Nature and Maternal Timing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
We had a blizzard about 3 weeks ago here and lost 4 calves. Two were born in the middle of the blizzard and the others were just a few days old and we found them froze to the ground... I think its amazing that cows always pick the worst times to have calves. Selling these three cows would make sense since a lack of transporting ability made grafting calves impossible but now with the BSE finds it's more profitable to keep them and get a calf again in Oct. or Nov.
Jake

Jake I don't know much about dealing with your weather, but couldn't you set your breeding season so that your calving season is in the Spring?

Jake":qycpyvoa said:
We had a blizzard about 3 weeks ago here and lost 4 calves. Two were born in the middle of the blizzard and the others were just a few days old and we found them froze to the ground... I think its amazing that cows always pick the worst times to have calves. Selling these three cows would make sense since a lack of transporting ability made grafting calves impossible but now with the BSE finds it's more profitable to keep them and get a calf again in Oct. or Nov.
Jake

We have two breeding seasons fall and spring. These cows were the last of the fall cows that evidently came in later this past breeding season. Our spring season is from mid March to Early May. Depending on the age of cow and pasture.

10-4. I have friends and relatives in the same situation but I didn't recall their reasons. I guess our geographical area is blessed in that department. It has only snowed here once and that was virtually a joke in 1977. Right now it is 77F here and mid to upper 50's at night. Jealous yet? Don't feel bad, I wish I could get my hands on your Summer weather.

Jake":1us4z6yn said:
We have two breeding seasons fall and spring. These cows were the last of the fall cows that evidently came in later this past breeding season. Our spring season is from mid March to Early May. Depending on the age of cow and pasture.

We had a couple days of 50 degree heat that melted a bunch of the snow and I'd walk around in coveralls and break a sweat. I wouldn't know what to do with temps in the 70s at this time of year.
I don't think our summers are much better 95-110+ degrees plus high humidity seemed to be overly common these past few years. So we get to see two extremes.

Latest posts