Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

Help Support CattleToday:

Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

• Shorthorn (due to number of breeds derived from)

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Hereford (the old mainstay in the west)

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Angus (the new thing)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Longhorn (made cattle profitable in the U.S.)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Brahman (number of breeds again)

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Continental (too many to list but definitely made their mark)

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
According to the data that the breed associations themselves provided to the National Pedigreed Livestock Council, the continentals stack up like this. The NPLC membership is due in March so I would assume these are all 2009 stats:

Charolais 65,954 registrations
Simmental 49,718
Gelbvieh 37,448
Limousin 25,336
Chianina 9,208 (although they register a bunch of composites too so those are likely included. I saw a registration certificate once where they registered a "Chi-Maine" that was only like 10% Chi and 10% Maine.)
Maine Anjou 8,382
Salers 6,040
Braunvieh 2,770 (This was registrations, they reported about triple that amount in their THR)

How could I leave out Hereford, what is there numbers????????

Ohhhhh, so inquiring minds want to know, huh?? :lol: Here are registration figures from some other breed associations, also via the National Pedigreed Livestock Council. There are other breeds of course but they were not members of NPLC so their data was not conveniently listed in one place. You go look it up! Worth repeating - the NPLC membership comes due in March, so it should be safe to assume these are the 2009 stats. (For breeds that listed both registration numbers and their THR, CHR or WHR stats, I picked up the registration tally. That's how many new animal records were actually added into their herd book)

Angus 282,911 (the 900 pound gorilla of beef associations these days, but still didn't overtake Holstein for volume of registrations.)
Hereford 64,293 (I learned recently that they also register the mini Herefords, wonder if those are counted??)
Red Angus 44,722
Brangus 29,643 (Is it the same association for red and black ones??)
Beefmaster 17,236
Shorthorn 15,036
Brahman 9,000 (a nice even number insinuates to me they rounded UP)
Santa Gertrudis 7,500 ditto here
Corriente 2,349
Longhorn 2,254

MO_cows":kytbqjah said:
Ohhhhh, so inquiring minds want to know, huh?? :lol: Here are registration figures from some other breed associations, also via the National Pedigreed Livestock Council. There are other breeds of course but they were not members of NPLC so their data was not conveniently listed in one place. You go look it up! Worth repeating - the NPLC membership comes due in March, so it should be safe to assume these are the 2009 stats. (For breeds that listed both registration numbers and their THR, CHR or WHR stats, I picked up the registration tally. That's how many new animal records were actually added into their herd book)

Angus 282,911 (the 900 pound gorilla of beef associations these days, but still didn't overtake Holstein for volume of registrations.)
Hereford 64,293 (I learned recently that they also register the mini Herefords, wonder if those are counted??)They only count as half :lol:
Red Angus 44,722
Brangus 29,643 (Is it the same association for red and black ones??)
Beefmaster 17,236
Shorthorn 15,036
Brahman 9,000 (a nice even number insinuates to me they rounded UP)
Santa Gertrudis 7,500 ditto here
Corriente 2,349
Longhorn 2,254

I would question if some breeds like Brangus numbers were international numbers as well.

edit: I also question the accuracy of these numbers. I looked them up an in one year Brangus increased by roughly 30%. Also, the Santas numbers are the exact same for every year. I am sure they only go by what the association reports but some breeds probably take this more seriously than others. The Gelbvieh didn't even report one year for example

So what is the most inflential Breed of all time...

Frist , I am talking only The U.S.A., my location...

Second, the past is all but forgotten and the furture is unknown....

So Facts are ...THERE WERE MORE BLACK ANGUS REG. than all other breeds combined....( Now how about that INFLUNCE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO MORE OPIONS, JUST FACT......

By the way, Black angus, has been number one in Reg. for what, 50 years......

Brahman and Brahman derived breeds in the South !

I think it is important as to what part of the US that you live in!

I thought Longhorn had devolved into two or even three registries and cattle can be multiply registered so I don't know if that number is credible.

I think the Angus registration numbers are due to the fact that the AAA is the
"Most influential association of all time".

Everyone has their opinion, but this trend stoped dead in it tracks when THE NUMBERS of Reg. stock can out......

You just can not, argue with those numbers....

alftn":pvpsm5n2 said:
Everyone has their opinion, but this trend stoped dead in it tracks when THE NUMBERS of Reg. stock can out......

I suppose you can if you look at a lot of the cattle and wonder why they were registered instead of sold without papers or slaughtered.

alftn":1p6bq39s said:

Who exactly is it wanting to argue ?

alftn":3g4qi174 said:

What's there to argue about? I haven't seen anyone deny that Angus, by a wide margin, has the most registrations today. I don't think any clear thinking person would deny that Angus has the most influence of any beef breed today either. But this thread is supposed to be about the most influential beef breed of all time, not just today.
It wasn't specified, but let's say we're talking about North America. The first cattle were introduced into North America about 500 years ago. Angus has been number one in registrations, at least in the U.S., for the past 35 years. What about the other 465 years? There are lot's of things that we need to look at leading up to this point. One being that there were a lot of cattle in North America long before breed associations and cattle registrations even existed. Another being that most breeds, as we know them today, are relatively new to North America.
Now, if after considering everything, a person wants to say that Angus is the most influential beef breed of all time that's fine. That's their opinion and a case can be made for that. But if someone says Hereford or Longhorn or Shorthorn or whatever, then their opinion is equally as valid. There is no slam dunk here.

that pretty much puts it into perspective. That is why Angus was identified as the new thing. Based on the intention/question the thread presents, I think a person could easily argue that Angus is not the most influential breed of all time, but I don't think anyone has done that yet.

Latest posts