Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

Help Support CattleToday:

Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

• Shorthorn (due to number of breeds derived from)

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Hereford (the old mainstay in the west)

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Angus (the new thing)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Longhorn (made cattle profitable in the U.S.)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Brahman (number of breeds again)

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Continental (too many to list but definitely made their mark)

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They estimate each American eats 67 pounds of beef a year and drinks 100 quarts of milk. (that's over 200 lbs of milk).

Domesticated cattle originated long before America did. This is a big ole globe with a lot of different climates.

backhoeboogie":3cuepmad said:
They estimate each American eats 67 pounds of beef a year and drinks 100 quarts of milk. (that's over 200 lbs of milk).

Domesticated cattle originated long before America did. This is a big ole globe with a lot of different climates.
I must be 2 Americans!! :lol2:
Valerie

backhoeboogie":3ev1pgm4 said:

well aleast your thinking outside of texas now :cowboy:

3waycross":2hcwej09 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":2hcwej09 said:
That is certainly a unique way to look at it. I don't know if I agree with the "combined" part.

I can't speak for the Eastern or Southern US but for sure out west I would say that when I was a kid in the 50's there just wasn't anything else besides Herefords. I agree with Doug. They probably comprised 80 to 90 percent of the western cowherd in those days.

Funny thing about paying for the ranch though. My Grandfather ran sheep from the 20's till around 1940 and as soon as the ranch was paid for he sold every last one of them.

That was probably the last line of his long term business plans....SELL THE DAM SHEEP AND BUY CATTLE. :lol2:

Limousin. limousin and limousin crosses have dominated more carcase competitions across the globe than anyother breed!, there are breeds within breeds, and there are limousin cows that are just as maternal as any british breed! limousin dominate the terminal sire breeds in europe! they win just about every carcase competition here in australia, the docility issue is within certain lines and shouldnt be branded across the breed! you cant tell me you havent encountered some crazy Angus? I sure have.

carlson u made an excellent point there is a man in missouri breeding bramousin cattle he sends them to msu or osu colleges to have these carcass test done he says they blow angus out of the water . i own a limousin bull and like his calves they r long as a truck.80s and 90s my best friends family had limi some of the best meat i ever ate .this was when limi was popular .long cattle lot of muscle then angus seen how good limi was doing and wanted them genetics.

Santas and Duhram Reds":18o4b08o said:
Personally, I think the most influential of the European breeds would be the Charolais, but that is just my opinion.

I for one would sure like to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

3waycross":3754g4ib said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3754g4ib said:
Personally, I think the most influential of the European breeds would be the Charolais, but that is just my opinion.

I for one would sure like to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

Because they so thoroughly drove people to other breeds???? :cboy:

we had plenty of that, bull's thrown out with a motly crew of commercial momas,,,,sure made the buzzards fat and sassy,.. they were labled cow killers by the ignorant :cowboy:

alacattleman":30vt6dud said:
we had plenty of that, bull's thrown out with a motly crew of commercial momas,,,,sure made the buzzards fat and sassy,.. they were labled cow killers by the ignorant :cowboy:

The biggest thing I remember was they were known more as Cowboy killers.

Influences are not always positive.

Edit: numbers don't always mean influence either.

I will grant the Limflex idea was pushed hard early on and possibly Limousin were the first to accept black into their registry.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3c69617f said:
Not sure on this but isn't Charolais the largest organization and breed registry of the European breeds?

Last figures I saw were from 2007 if I remember right. Limousin in the lead followed by Charolais, Simmental and Gelbvieh. Can't seem to find anything now but I'll keep trying.