Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

Help Support CattleToday:

Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

• Shorthorn (due to number of breeds derived from)

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Hereford (the old mainstay in the west)

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Angus (the new thing)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Longhorn (made cattle profitable in the U.S.)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Brahman (number of breeds again)

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Continental (too many to list but definitely made their mark)

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dun":2q9azxp7 said:
3waycross":2q9azxp7 said:
I agree on the Fly part of what you said but where does the minerals come in?
The may be where the minerals are, either a mineral feeder/block or a natural mineral deposit.

I watched my whole bunch on a newly exposed dirt bank eating fresh dirt. They have emerald minerals and a mineralized salt block available to them at all times and they eat dirt. Go Figure!

3waycross":3ulzaims said:
dun":3ulzaims said:
3waycross":3ulzaims said:
I agree on the Fly part of what you said but where does the minerals come in?
The may be where the minerals are, either a mineral feeder/block or a natural mineral deposit.

I watched my whole bunch on a newly exposed dirt bank eating fresh dirt. They have emerald minerals and a mineralized salt block available to them at all times and they eat dirt. Go Figure!
Maybe they read this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65332&st

maybe they did. You have a pretty good memory for some of your advanced years :tiphat: :lol2:

3waycross":bfnpsf0r said:
maybe they did. You have a pretty good memory for some of your advanced years :tiphat: :lol2:
I'm a storehouse of useless memory.

SRBeef":387qj2ut said:
I have to say that having driven from Illinois through much of Colorado this weekend, I was struck by two things regarding cattle:

1) the very few cattle of any breed seen along the route (mostly I-80)

2) what cattle were seen were mostly black or BWF, even in Colorado. I was curious as to why so many of the black cattle in large open pastures in W NE and E CO were huddled in a tight group right in a corner of the pasture rather than out grazing.

Jim
Down here it would mean flies....thousands of the biting devils. And when the cattle do move they move like a herd of buffalo.

i would agree that it would mean flies. I would also say that one breed is not more in tune to the weather than another. If this were the case, I would also believe that it would be an animal that is not as far removed from instinctual beginnings as the angus

alftn":3aums2q9 said:
There has been alot of crazes, the Euros( char,simm,limm), the composites , the (different bunch) Euros ( Maine,chis) ....

These Black cows, 300 years at least old, have not gone away but only got more common...still no horns...still the best all around cows there are...

Polled herefords are still very desireable, at least to me....I hate horned cattle...and they get tore up at the salebarn here....

i am not very good with a computer .i chose brahman 70s 80s brahman cross bred cattle where the thing everyone in the midwest and down south where breeding continental bulls to them brahman influenced cattle it dang near nocked angus off the map thats when they took genetics from others to keep up.i think u need to put opinion by black angus cows r the best all around mothers.usually everyone has 1 white,red or brahman cow amongst there black herd.that cow usually has the biggest calf of the bunch.ithink jersey needs to be on that list .everyone used to have a milk cow running with there herefords in the old days some of the best crosses ever made milk em turn them out with there calf.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1ya99f0e said:
Certainly Jerseys have made there mark on the homestead but I don't think they have made a huge impact on the beef industry.

At least not like Holsteins have ;-) :cowboy:

i bet alot of cattle have jersey strains in them.wasnt it around the time of the civil war when florida cracker cattle where made.i think they had some jersey in them.i might be wrong .maybe it was longhorn.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3tk2xc8m said:
That is certainly a unique way to look at it. I don't know if I agree with the "combined" part.

I can't speak for the Eastern or Southern US but for sure out west I would say that when I was a kid in the 50's there just wasn't anything else besides Herefords. I agree with Doug. They probably comprised 80 to 90 percent of the western cowherd in those days.

Funny thing about paying for the ranch though. My Grandfather ran sheep from the 20's till around 1940 and as soon as the ranch was paid for he sold every last one of them.

I is a TIME thing, more hereford paid for land than any other breed, might be true but, hereford and longhorn were your only choice at the time...

The Euros and even the BLACK cattle were un heard of at the time....It is all prospective...In modern times, since the 1970's, BLACK ANGUS IS KING......

WE WILL SEE WHAT BREED OR BREEDS , take the title away, but now Black angus is still KING....

3waycross":1cwvjgnp said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1cwvjgnp said:
That is certainly a unique way to look at it. I don't know if I agree with the "combined" part.

I can't speak for the Eastern or Southern US but for sure out west I would say that when I was a kid in the 50's there just wasn't anything else besides Herefords. I agree with Doug. They probably comprised 80 to 90 percent of the western cowherd in those days.

Funny thing about paying for the ranch though. My Grandfather ran sheep from the 20's till around 1940 and as soon as the ranch was paid for he sold every last one of them.
so do i,,, herefords were pretty strong here years ago,,, but cattle alone didnt pay for the farms,,,

alftn":2stm9fn7 said:
I is a TIME thing, more hereford paid for land than any other breed, might be true but, hereford and longhorn were your only choice at the time...

The Euros and even the BLACK cattle were un heard of at the time....It is all prospective...In modern times, since the 1970's, BLACK ANGUS IS KING......

WE WILL SEE WHAT BREED OR BREEDS , take the title away, but now Black angus is still KING....

Just google "most influential cattle breed of all time" and read through the hits. You'll get a lot of opinions, facts, and enlightenment.

Bear in mind there are a whole lot of folks out there who drink milk but eat chicken. Shorthorn had a lot to offer in the days of old.

alacattleman":1w3s55ec said:
its gonna take alot of bang to jar angus loose from number 1 spot

The subject of this thread was most influential breed of all time.

None of us have been around 8 thousand years:

"The taurine (humpless, B. taurus) was probably domesticated somewhere in the Fertile Crescent about 8,000 years ago. Taurine cattle were apparently traded across the planet, and appear in archaeological sites of northeastern Asia (China, Mongolia, Korea) about 5000 years ago. "

Latest posts