Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

Help Support CattleToday:

Most influential beef breed(s) of all time

• Shorthorn (due to number of breeds derived from)

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Hereford (the old mainstay in the west)

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Angus (the new thing)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Longhorn (made cattle profitable in the U.S.)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Brahman (number of breeds again)

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Continental (too many to list but definitely made their mark)

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
alftn said:
Like it or not other breeds have been playing catch-up with angus and the CAB program, DO NOT WHINE ABOUT THE RIDE, JUST GO WITH IT....

If Red Angus, Herefords, Shorthorn were available as B.angus , as cheap to buy, and sold as well at the salebarn, that is what I would raise....as it is (in my area) Black angus and black baldies bring best....

I see simm, limm, herefords, gelvieh, all turning BLACK to look like BLACK ANGUS, I DO NOT see BLACK ANGUS going the other way...[/quote]

But you still just have a crossbred when it is all said and done. As far as angus the reds are gaining popularity and I think will be a breed to watch.You can keep your black cows I will keep my red and white ones. :)

JHH":qplnhlil said:
You can keep your black cows I will keep my red and white ones. :)
You have to have at least one black cow, the contrast of that one with the solid reds and the red and whites is always eye catching.

alftn":16ryckw9 said:
DO NOT WHINE ABOUT THE RIDE, JUST GO WITH IT....

If I need to "whine", it won't be anything about this. In the 60's, gert were the craze. I also remember when polled herfs were desireable. This subject says most influential breed of all time. :D

There has been alot of crazes, the Euros( char,simm,limm), the composites , the (different bunch) Euros ( Maine,chis) ....

These Black cows, 300 years at least old, have not gone away but only got more common...still no horns...still the best all around cows there are...

Polled herefords are still very desireable, at least to me....I hate horned cattle...and they get tore up at the salebarn here....

Anyone who believes the Angus hasn't changed because of other breed influences is just fooling themselves. Look at the breed through the ages. The evidence is there. I am not saying that another breed was used in the Angus gene pool (though it is likely), I am saying that these changes were inspired by other breed influences.

Also, it was said earlier that if Shorthorn wasn't used on the homestead, another breed would have filled the niche. Couldn't that be said about Angus, and Hereford as well.

I voted Shorthorn, for the very reasons that Dun mentioned. Not only did they do that here, but they were the "original" dual-purpose cow in the old world as well.

As to the Angus not changing.... photo evidence of the changes in the breed isn't hard to come by. If you really want to see the difference look through a current Genex Co-op catalogue. Compare the North American Angus (Red and Black) to the Scottish cattle they are bringing over from Dunlouise Farms. The Scottish cattle (from Aberdeen no less) are much more similar to the Angus cattle originally brought to the new world than the majority of Angus cattle here today.

There maybe should be several more catagories and one of them should surely be Noahs' pair.

I'll bet that they were moderate sized, horned, :cowboy:multi-purpose, multi colored and probably fairly docile after their confinement.

They had also to carry all the genetic defects and other characteristics that have surfaced since. :tiphat:

Santas and Duhram Reds":2gv53m46 said:
Also, it was said earlier that if Shorthorn wasn't used on the homestead, another breed would have filled the niche. Couldn't that be said about Angus, and Hereford as well.
The question isn;t what "would have" it is "what is".
BTW Angus make lousey oxen, NO HORNS to function as a brake for the yoke.

dun":wk1ct4iq said:
JHH":wk1ct4iq said:
You have to have at least one black cow, the contrast of that one with the solid reds and the red and whites is always eye catching.

Ok you caught me. I have 2 black cows and I may save a bwf heifer this year. Still prefer the rwf.

JHH":2gde2xv8 said:
dun":2gde2xv8 said:
JHH":2gde2xv8 said:

Ok you caught me. I have 2 black cows and I may save a bwf heifer this year. Still prefer the rwf.

You need to start a local blackaholics anonymous. "Hello, My name is JHH and I have a couple of black cows....."

JHH":uue15rs5 said:
Still prefer the rwf.
Either solid or RWF are my preference too. But Granny is black and as long as she's here there will alwasy be a chance of a black something being born. Her last years calf is the black Baldy and a heifer out of a Hereford sired by a hetero black Gelbvieh is the other balck baldy.

:D hi im new and been out of the loop [cattle im mean] for a while.I chose brahman for zebu lines as there are so many recognised breeds out there with brahman influence. improving hardiness forage capabilities ,not to mention they do help a bit with bloat and incect resistance .

I have to say that having driven from Illinois through much of Colorado this weekend, I was struck by two things regarding cattle:

1) the very few cattle of any breed seen along the route (mostly I-80)

2) what cattle were seen were mostly black or BWF, even in Colorado. I was curious as to why so many of the black cattle in large open pastures in W NE and E CO were huddled in a tight group right in a corner of the pasture rather than out grazing.

Jim

SRBeef":28er485s said:
I have to say that having driven from Illinois through much of Colorado this weekend, I was struck by two things regarding cattle:

2) what cattle were seen were mostly black or BWF, even in Colorado. I was curious as to why so many of the black cattle in large open pastures in W NE and E CO were huddled in a tight group right in a corner of the pasture rather than out grazing.

Jim

Jim-

Animals instinctively anticipate weather changes, and there were HEAVY storms directly along that SW to NE pathway today (Sunday). Lightning (cloud to cloud) and pretty strong winds and rain in places! If I were to say that Black (Angus) cattle were more astute and acutely aware of their environment than some others, I would get a rash of criticism as a result. ...but they ARE!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, if every time I saw my cows huddled together in the pasture this summer and it meant rain was coming or a storm,I wouldnt ever mow hay.

SRBeef":3jzg9t8h said:

Jim

As Doc said could have been the weather. Also could be a mineral problem. My cows seem to go off and graze some larger groups around here seem to bunch up like you are talking. I was told it was because of flies and mineral?

I know it isnt good. Guy around here had 67 head killed by lightning last week ( all hudled up under a couple tree's) I had one get hit and die last week myself. Just like she fell over dead feet out.

DOC HARRIS":2pjxfs71 said:
SRBeef":2pjxfs71 said:

Jim

Jim-

Animals instinctively anticipate weather changes, and there were HEAVY storms directly along that SW to NE pathway today (Sunday). Lightning (cloud to cloud) and pretty strong winds and rain in places! If I were to say that Black (Angus) cattle were more astute and acutely aware of their environment than some others, I would get a rash of criticism as a result. ...but they ARE!

DOC HARRIS
I'm with Doc, my girls are far more accurate than the weatherman. They predict storms approx 2-3 days in advance. The tighter they are grouped together - couldn't get a hand between them - the more intense the storms are. I have a frioend that believes me know - she calls to see what the girls are callin for -
Valerie

3waycross":2w4zlmi3 said:
I agree on the Fly part of what you said but where does the minerals come in?
The may be where the minerals are, either a mineral feeder/block or a natural mineral deposit.

Latest posts