Most economical way to mow a pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I admit it I like to save money. Call me a cheapskate if you want.

What is the most economical way to mow a pasture?

I know, let the cows do it. But,, sometimes the grass gets ahead of me, or I need to knock down fescue seed heads, or I want to create some dry matter in lush grass.

I am talking about mowing 150 acres.

I thought about these behind an ATV. This might be problematic or too slow.

The reel one might struggle with taller grass, not sure.
66 inch seems to be the biggest one with a motor.

promowproseries7_500.jpg
product_9758_600.jpg

Do you have a tractor? using either of those on 150 acres in my opinion would be like eating poop with a splinter... By the time you finished with either I don't think you would save anything from using either.

I honestly think the most economical way would be to use the tractor by the time you fuel whatever you are pulling the others with and your time which is the most valuable I think you will probably wish you just hooked up to the tractor and did it.

skyhightree1":2fqo5pgy said:
I honestly think the most economical way would be to use the tractor by the time you fuel whatever you are pulling the others with and your time which is the most valuable I think you will probably wish you just hooked up to the tractor and did it.
You are probably right. I just keep trying to figure out ways to minimize fuel usage. It just keeps getting more expensive. Not to mention wear and tear on the the high dollar equipment.

I can understand that but then you gotta think you will be using 2 machines using fuel if you got the brush cutter. one if you are using the reel mower but if you hit a stick or rock or something hard you may tear it up. Yes, I agree with everything getting more expensive and the wear and tear sucks but hey a machines no good to you if you can use it right.

I remember, back around 1990, the Tennessee Cooperator (newsletter from the TN Farmers' Coop) showcased a fellow in his 70s who mowed his 80-acre farm, every year, with a 20 or 22" push-type lawnmower (big wheels in the back, mower deck raised as high as he could get it) NOT a self-propelled model. Started mowing around Oct 1, usually finished up around Christmas. Kept 5 or 10 blades sharpened, and changed 'em out several times a day.
Unfortunately, he died just before the issue came out.

My daddy had a homes rig kinda like that. Wheels only in the back. He made us clip under electric fences with it. It was much better than a weed slinger. Cheap skate didn't buy a weed eater till the last one of us was married and gone. I guess he had built all the character he needed.

Lucky_P":b2fw23ec said:
I remember, back around 1990, the Tennessee Cooperator (newsletter from the TN Farmers' Coop) showcased a fellow in his 70s who mowed his 80-acre farm, every year, with a 20 or 22" push-type lawnmower (big wheels in the back, mower deck raised as high as he could get it) NOT a self-propelled model. Started mowing around Oct 1, usually finished up around Christmas. Kept 5 or 10 blades sharpened, and changed 'em out several times a day. Unfortunately, he died just before the issue came out.

Should have been fit enough...

As a general rule, I don't bush hog. Maybe a little around the house. Mostly chemicle control for weeds. Spot spray for the brushy stuff. I never could see mowing down grass, when that is what I'm trying to raise. I will go ahead and bale a feed rather than just clip it off. I keep a neat place. To the point it's rediculous. I'm just not every going to shred a blade of grass, just cause it is there. Something here will eat it, in due time.

Bigfoot":jngx1b3w said:
As a general rule, I don't bush hog. Maybe a little around the house. Mostly chemicle control for weeds. Spot spray for the brushy stuff. I never could see mowing down grass, when that is what I'm trying to raise. I will go ahead and bale a feed rather than just clip it off. I keep a neat place. To the point it's rediculous. I'm just not every going to shred a blade of grass, just cause it is there. Something here will eat it, in due time.

I hate having to bush hog too. But this year my cows could not keep up with the grass. I only have a 5 ft hog and have always used the old Jubilee to hog with. Points fried Saturday, so I hooked the little hog up to the 6610. Wife said it was overkill; like using a calf puller to yank a bologna string out of a cats ass :lol2:

lol, ouachita - know what you mean.
Recently bought a 90-hp 4WD Kubota cab tractor. Had been bush-hogging with the 'newer' tractor here - a 1984 Case 1294. Just haven't been able to justify unhooking that 6-ft bushhog from the old Case and sticking it on the back of that big orange thing.

HDRider":1iu0y0i0 said:
I admit it I like to save money. Call me a cheapskate if you want.

What is the most economical way to mow a pasture?

I know, let the cows do it. But,, sometimes the grass gets ahead of me, or I need to knock down fescue seed heads, or I want to create some dry matter in lush grass.

I am talking about mowing 150 acres.

I thought about these behind an ATV. This might be problematic or too slow.

The reel one might struggle with taller grass, not sure.
66 inch seems to be the biggest one with a motor.

promowproseries7_500.jpg
product_9758_600.jpg

Dunno about the little finish mower with the lawnmower engine on it, but that reel gang mower will have the will have the blades locked and the wheels dragging instead of rolling in about every 100 yards of travel here.

You already have the tools you need to do the job--if you are concerned with fuel economy, choose a gear and rpm to reduce usage even if it takes a little longer.
That little B&S engine in the 2nd picture is going to burn a LOT of gasoline/acre, plus whatever fuel your atv or pickup burns. That's a non-starter IMO.

I have a 54 inch zero turn mower for my yard. Takes 2 hours to mow and 2 gallons of gas for 3 acres.
I have a 1972 case 1175 with a 12 foot Bush Hog. Takes 16 hours to mow 55 acres and right at 15 gallons of diesel, though it varies with taller grass. I wouldn't consider my zero turn mower. Nor could I afford it. Then consider a case 1175 can be bought for the price of a husqvaurna 54 inch mower. In my case dad bought the tractor new. The bush hog would add to the cost. But how much is your time worth? I work full time and that's my weekend mowing, but it sure is a peacefull weekend!

Latest posts