Most economical way to mow a pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Use the old Case tractor and burn a mix of 50-50 diesel fuel to used oil. I have burned every kind of used oil in my older JD and Ford tractors without a problem. Most of the time the oil is free, but I have paid .40 cents a gal before for used engine oil.

mnbryant2001":15zy8mov said:
I have a 54 inch zero turn mower for my yard. Takes 2 hours to mow and 2 gallons of gas for 3 acres.
I have a 1972 case 1175 with a 12 foot Bush Hog. Takes 16 hours to mow 55 acres and right at 15 gallons of diesel, though it varies with taller grass. I wouldn't consider my zero turn mower. Nor could I afford it. Then consider a case 1175 can be bought for the price of a husqvaurna 54 inch mower. In my case dad bought the tractor new. The bush hog would add to the cost. But how much is your time worth? I work full time and that's my weekend mowing, but it sure is a peacefull weekend!
That's a meaningful comparison. Thanks.

highgrit":1p6mz1oh said:
Use the old Case tractor and burn a mix of 50-50 diesel fuel to used oil. I have burned every kind of used oil in my older JD and Ford tractors without a problem. Most of the time the oil is free, but I have paid .40 cents a gal before for used engine oil.
Now there's an idea that appeals to the Scot in me.

Latest posts