More on the red saddled cattle conundrum.

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
More on the red saddled cattle conundrum.

Have you ever wondered why the red saddles on cows is always in the same area?
What is there that could be causing it to be in that location?
Liz

I have two that have the red saddles. They are both simmangus and are the only two simmangus that I have. All my cows are black but the brangus and black baldies don't have saddles and they are all togather in the same pastures eating the same hay and feed so I thought it was breed related to the simmangus.

Deepsouth":2s2133y7 said:
I have two that have the red saddles. They are both simmangus and are the only two simmangus that I have. All my cows are black but the brangus and black baldies don't have saddles and they are all togather in the same pastures eating the same hay and feed so I thought it was breed related to the simmangus.

I agree.
Copper deficiency in cattle and the resulting red tint saddle was presented on CT about a year ago by DOC HARRIS. As I remember, DOC was organized and credible in his presentation which is standard for him.

If a mineral deficiency is suspected, why not blood sample the one suspected of the deficiency and get direct results?

inyati13":g8z9cvm4 said:
If a mineral deficiency is suspected, why not blood sample the one suspected of the deficiency and get direct results?

Regular blood tests are pretty worthless for this purpose. The copper will show up n the blood as being present and usually "adequate", however, it is not available. The old oxides used in most minerals will test as "being present" as guaranteed, however, only about 10% of the amount included is actually available and utilized. The remainder passes through in the waste.

If mine get the red saddles it tells me it is time to spray for flies again. The "saddle" is where they sling their head back to knock off flies. The slobber/sun combination causes the saddle.
I am not saying this causes the red to come out in other peoples black cattle. I saw a picture in another thread where the red was in places hard to reach.

TexasBred":26o7hzcf said:
inyati13":26o7hzcf said:

Regular blood tests are pretty worthless for this purpose. The copper will show up n the blood as being present and usually "adequate", however, it is not available. The old oxides used in most minerals will test as "being present" as guaranteed, however, only about 10% of the amount included is actually available and utilized. The remainder passes through in the waste.
Very useful. Thanks

Calman":2huwv5w1 said:
Cant say as I have ever seen a cow with a red saddle on it.
Or even a horse

Cal
Would hate to try to ride a cow with this saddle.
!BoQ1BrQ!2k~$(KGrHqYOKj!EtlrR%2BN4LBLm3kb!tOQ~~_12.jpg

Red Bull Breeder":mmiduhvx said:
All of my cows are red, wonder whats up with that??

All in the same areas too? WOW This could be interesting. What's your take on that "Liz?"

Latest posts