More nursing home issues

Help Support CattleToday:

These are terrible things to happen...Nursing Homes are not the brighest star in the universe.

Is there any way you could post a list of medications she is on? Even though NO ONE posting on the board could legally give advice on her medications, I'm sure there are some medically trained individuals here that could at least "comment" on the possibility of her being on "too many" or "similar" medications... Would give you some more "questions" to ask her doctors and/or the nursing home "nurses?"...

;-)

With the slapping incident by your father, my guess is that he is from the "old school" that feels someone should just "snap out of it"...also his frustration and perhaps mental state precludes his really understanding what is going on with his wife...

On a sidebar... I have a suspicion that these Nursing Home staffs (many of the facilities) have any number of cantankerous "old folks" that "give the staff problems"...the "treatment of the day" is often to administer psychotropic (tranquilizing) drugs to keep the peace and make their "patients" more "managable". [This was VERY true in the 1960's when I worked as a Psychologist in a State Psychiatric Hospital...that continued until the accredication agencies (e.g., HCFA and others) did some investigations and found "abuse of medications" going on...]

Just do the best you can Lammie, i pray that God will guide you through all this.

Angus Cowman":2j0e15co said:
One of the things I hope for in life is that I will pass before I lose my senses and my dignity

My Grandmother had her second stroke and lost most of her eye sight as well as most of her intellect and judgement; but could still walk, eat, talk, move around, dress herself, etc fine for her last 9 years, though she was pretty much a mean child in many ways. My Great Uncle kept all of his exraordinary intellect to the very very end; though lost he his hearing, his knees, ability too walk, too stand, too dress him self, use the wheel chair, go to the bathroom, etc as his joints, bones and muscles deteriorated. I really don't know which end was worse.

Lammie":3176j4bl said:
I Wewild, I pray you don't have to go through this.

Thanks and we will pray for you as well.

Growing old is hard on all. My mother and my relationship is stronger now than ever before. Dad is like a kid but can still be kept at home.

Thanks, everyone. Dad called tonight. He's all confused about his doctor appointment and what the day is. I think he thinks it is the weekend. He thinks he's being sued. I tried to tell him it is just normal stuff and everything will be okay.

I also caught a stomach virus somewhere and have spent the day either kneeling or sitting. I hope neither of them got it. Feeling better now. It was short but intense. Held down some tea and toast tonight. Going to bed here shortly.

Mom is going to the hospital again. I told you all that she was not very awake when I visited this weekend and now she has a fluid imbalance because she isnt awake enough to get anything into her. I don't think they can find a vein for IV fluids. I'm sitting tight here for now unless I hear anything more from the hospital. I knew this was coming. I feared it, anyway. I know that I got PM's saying that this was a possibility.

I'll let you all know how she's doing when I hear something. I need to find another place.

miss lammie i have not read every1s post on your probs.but here is what see from reading yours.1 you put them close to your sis an bro.so they could go see them.well that doesnt appear tobe happening.2 you dont get to see them everyday because your 40mi away.3 they know they can treat your mom an dad anyway they want.because your not there everyday to see an check on them.so they can do what they want.yes they are keeping your mom dopped up.move them closer to you.an go see them every day.an make it clear to the home an staff youll be there daily.an if you see probs youll have it out with them.

My prayers are with you Lammie. I know how hard this is. You need to be sure to take care of yourself to! I know its very stressful and consuming, but you need to take care of #1 or you will be of no use to your folks.
My opinion, I think you should move them closer to you too. I do believe if you are there alot, they will not mistreat them and take care of them better than those that are basically abandoned.
It takes a whole lot of patience and strength to deal with all you are. You are to be admired for what you are doing.
I wish you the best! Keep the faith!

Lammie":3tqxw1fq said:
Mom is in the hospital now. They admitted her today.

Lammie, while your Mom is in the hospital might be the best time to make the changes...then she can come back to the new place rather than getting more confused about being moved somewhere else. It also might make it easier on your father...he won't be fretting and worrying about her during the move if she's not there. Just a thought.

Alice

As long as the investigation stays open, they won't be able to stay anywhere together. I would prefer, I think, to see what the findings are and then make a decision. They will either confirm, not confirm or be inclusive in their findings. If they are inclusive, then I doubt the home where they are will allow them to stay in the same room, just to cover their butts. I just need to take the time to find someplace closer to me. Mom is still in the hosptial. They don't know what's wrong with her yet. Dad calls and says he feels guilty about it. I am getting up there tomorrow. I need to make an appointment with the doctor to talk about Mom's medications. I think they should try to dry her out and start all over while she's in there. That might take a while. She's been pretty doped up.

Spent the entire day at the hospital yesterday with Dad and Mother. She didn't recognize me when I got there and I am not sure she ever knew who I was. She has no strength at all, can't or won't feed herself. Would not put in her teeth. Tried to talk but can't be understood because she mumbles and has no teeth in. Just stares out into the distance. Looks pitiful. They still don't know what's wrong with her. I think it is tardive dyskenesia, which is involuntary muscle movements from having taken too much atavan and other drugs they had her on. I don't know. I'm not a doctor, but I worked with mental patients for years and know what it looks like. Commonly known as "The Thorazine Shuffle". Lip smacking, purposeless finger movements, shuffling gate. It's a shame. She m ight get over it and she might not. Her brain chemistry may have been rewired.

I am firing the doctor. I never did get to see her yesterday. If this thing ends up killing her, I will sue to protect others from this kind of over-prescribing. I know, now, too late, that the doctor has been in trouble for over-prescribing before and has been banned from a couple of nearby hospitals from practicing there.

Anyway, it's so sad. I'm back at work today. Pray for Mom.

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers Lammie..lots of love to you :heart: :heart: Wish I could give you a hug-consider one hug sent to you..

Latest posts