More nursing home issues

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
As most of you know, I put my parents in a nursing home this summer. They were just unable to take care of themselves any longer. I chose a home close to their home town and near to my siblings because I wanted them to be able to visit. It's about forty miles from my home, however, I though it was closer, but I also liked the place and thought they would receive good care there and have things to do.

The home changed doctors recently. Now, I know my mother has aggression issues, was extremely paranoid and delusional. In the past several visits, my mother has been just snowed, I believe, overmedicated, and has fallen several times. She is using a walker. They wanted to put her in a wheelchair and I overrode that recommendation because I think that as long as she can walk she should.

On Wed. the home called and said that Mother had fallen again and that my dad was trying to drag the walker along from the front because Mom has been shuffling her feet and barely moving. I know she's been doing this because last time I was there I had an awful time getting her from one place to another. I told the staff that I thought she was overmedicated and that this was what was causing her to walk in this manner. Anyway, back in the room, Mom had a toileting accident. An aide went to clean her up, and when she was done, Dad thanked her and then reminded Mom to thank her, too. When Mom didn't say anything, he slapped her on the face. They were seperated for the night, and I could understand that. Last night, the administrator told me that they want them to be in seperate rooms for good. I told his that was not acceptable, as they have been married for sixty years and have hardly ever slept apart and I thought it would do more harm than good. He persists, however, because they do not want to be fined for it by the state.

This was really the last straw. I like the home and I love the nursing staff, but there is a nursing home five minutes from my house and I am going to go and talk to them today about moving my parents there. I haven't told my siblings yet and I don't know how they will react. My sister only gets over there, maybe once a month, and my brother, about every other week, in spite of the fact that they are both about fifteen minutes away. I can only get over there once a week. If they are close to us, then we can visit all the time, they can come to my house and it would be easier to take them shopping and on outings. I have had issues with this home because I have had clients from there when I worked for MHMR and took issue with the food, and the cleanliness of the clients. But if I can take an active role in their lives and the staff know I am right there nearby, they might do a better job of caring for them. I am going to go there today after school and talk to them about it.

Would you move them if they were your parents? Is being closer worh risking that I have reservations about the facility? I keep weighing the options. There are also several places in Cleburne, about ten miles away, and I want to check those out, as well. I should have done this originally, but I had to move them quickly this summer because APS had become involved and I just had looked at the one place in Glen Rose. I just can't stand the thought of them being in seperate rooms.

This is hard. I'm about out of tears. But I think I would rather have them close to me than forty miles away where I can't do much for them except on the weekends. I think Dad hit her because he think she's faking and because he's frustrated. They have him on Atavan now. I don't think I want him to be as snowed as she is. Mom is on a list of meds as long as my arm and I don't think it is necessary, although she is in need of a little something to "take the edge off" as it were.

I dread the day when I am in your position and I know it is coming , I feel for you being the one making decision and your siblings not being active in the process

I know it would be hard seperating them but what happens in a few months if that has to be the outcome anyway
Have you spoke with another Dr to have your mom checked out and see if he thinks she needs to be on all that med a 2nd opinion may ease your concerns

I wish I had the answers but I don't sorry but you will have to do what you feel is best

our prayers are with you

Lammie, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I was an only child and went through this with both of my parents about 6 years ago. Thank goodness for my wife who was a huge help during the process.

There are a lot of things to consider, but frequent visits by a family member is a huge factor in the kind of care your parents receive. We learned that we had to take responsibility for the overall care of my parents and ensure that it was happening through frequent visits. We went through about a 2 or 3 year period where one or both of us was visiting daily either to the hospital, nursing home, or assisted living apartment. I cannot count the moves that we made, as everytime one of them went into the hospital, we had to readjust. At times we had both of them in the hospital and/or rehabilitation for extended periods of time. It was rough on all of us, but I think the frequent visits were necessary and made a big difference in the quality of life that my parents experienced over their last few years. Even if it was just stopping by for 10 or 15 minutes on the way home from work, it made a difference.

Everybody's situation is different and these decisions are very personal. I hope you and your siblings are able to come to a decision that you all can feel good about.

I understand the tears. I can still remember the day that we moved my parents out of their house on the property where my Mother had grown up. We were headed to the first assisted living apartment. I can still see my Dad's face as he sat on the couch watching everything being loaded onto to the moving truck. Finally they came to get the couch and asked him if he was ready to go. He wasn't. It was without a doubt the most difficult period of my life. But my parents were depending on me. I made the best decisions that I could as we weaved our way through the process. I'm sure that you will do the same.

Angus Cowman":3gx6f8ik said:
Have you spoke with another Dr to have your mom checked out
I agree withAC. If at all possible get another opinion. There are certainly incidences of overmedication. Often it is for convenience rather than health needs.
Get a bunch of drugs in anybody and nobody really knows what drug interactions may be going on.

Another problem with some places is that they don't give prescribed medication as they should and they (some) will lie through their teeth about it.

Not knowing the facilities I can't offer an opinion about where it would be best for them to be. But if they were closer and you could make your presence known at unpredictable times, it might get them better attention.

Lammie here is hug from me to you. :heart:

First I would check out the other homes. The one that is closest to you that you know has problems I would stay away from.
See what the others have to offer.
There is no "perfect" nursing home unfortunately.
I don't know what else to tell you. It is a tough situation you are in and I really feel for you.

As for your siblings, if they are not visiting them and you are they have nothing to complain about if you need to move them to a better place. unfortunately too many people are like that nowadays and then wonder how elder abuse happens.
With them closer to you, you can keep a closer eye on the home.

I'd move them in a heartbeat, given what you say.

My mom had to be put in a home when my dad could no longer manage. His health had deteriorated and he could barely care for himself. Mom had had a stroke 2 years prior to that and could only walk with help. Luckily our family all lives close and the home was in the same county. We could pick her up and take her places on a regular basis.

Check to see if there is physical therapy available for your mom. Make sure you get the doctors involved in the move, and that you like the doctor who would see her in the new home.

Do not be surprised if you can't get them in the same room at the new home. It seems difficult to get a room with 2 open beds for a couple. It may not be a bad idea to have seperate rooms if the home will put them together within a reasonable timeframe. Moves are stressful on the older folks, take that into consideration. If they have really settled into the home they're in, then moving could make things worse.

Where they are now, they let me bring their double bed into the room because they can't sleep unless they are together. It is set up nicely in there with two glider rockers, their bed, chest or drawers and cedar chest. They were so happy when I moved the hospital beds out. I just can't stand that they are apart. It just doesn't seem right after sixty years of marriage.

Lammie":1hkj7z7w said:
Where they are now, they let me bring their double bed into the room because they can't sleep unless they are together. It is set up nicely in there with two glider rockers, their bed, chest or drawers and cedar chest. They were so happy when I moved the hospital beds out. I just can't stand that they are apart. It just doesn't seem right after sixty years of marriage.

I don't know their medical diagnosis but if dementia is coming into play there will come a time that separation will be a safety issue. It is the hardest thing in the world to watch your parents deteriorate and even harder to accept that they are no longer themselves. Many nursing homes do over medicate to "control" aggression and you will need to address that if it is happening. I am so sorry you are going through this stuff. It sounds like this home is trying to be accommodating and hopefully they will continue to work with you and your parents to make them as comfortable as possible. Have you met with the new doctor and discussed your concerns??

Angus Cowman":1q618h0m said:
One of the things I hope for in life is that I will pass before I lose my senses and my dignity
Oh man you got that right. My Dad was so mad, humiliated, indignant etc. when the nursing home insisted that he sit down to pee. It was awful to see him there. We tried our hardest to not have to place him but...well it was awful. He only lasted two months.
I wanna drop in my tracks doing something I love and hopefully I have cowshite on my boots.

I looked at Alvarado Meadows yesterday. They are remodeling it a little at a time, as they have new owners. It's kind of a dump. I mean, just old looking. I got that pee smell when I went in there, too. Of course, my parents' room smells like that, too. I bring air fresheners and open the window when I visit to air it out.

They said that they could accomodate them with the furnishings and place them together. They also have some good activities, including using the WII (video game system) in their physical therapy. I met a couple of nice ladies who lived there who were together mentally and I think they would make nice friends for my parents. My dad is an awful flirt! I am going to stop by a facility by Huguley today, as I am going to be in the area. That's about fifteen minutes from here. I talked to Dad last night and he asked him if he thought that it would be better if they could live closer to me. He said he wanted to go home, but I told him that Mom's too sick for him to care for and that it might be almost as good if he could be nearer to us. He agreed. He was pretty mellow last night. Not angry at all. We had a good talk.

Mom has a rash today, they think from the anti biotic she's on. I asked them if it might be shingles, and the nurse said it didn't look like it. I've had shingles before and it was a nightmare.

Still looking. Haven't talked to my sister about it yet. I can't imagine that she'd be anything but relieved to have the whole thing taken off her conscience. Not that it bothers her now. I don't care what my brother thinks. He's got nothing to do with it anyway. I'll just take care of them as I see fit. I'm the only one that's going to do it anyway. It's sad that as little as my parents have that my family is only interested in what they can get out of it instead of what they can do. I don't want any of it. I have my own stuff. I'm only interested in making sure that we don't lose family pictures. I found an absolutely precious picture of my Grandma, Dad's mother, wearing full cowboy attire, chaps and all, next to her paint horse on the prairie in Kansas, probably taken around 1915 or so. She's about seventeen. She said once she used to be handy with a horse and a gun. It must have been right before she married. I would love to have that restored and display it with pride.

I have reached the time where I am my parents keeper..... it seems.

We aren't to the nursing home thing yet but it could be in the future.

Dad would never want to be there and my mother would.

Take care. It is a tough time.

Lammie":4dow5lfg said:
I looked at Alvarado Meadows yesterday. They are remodeling it a little at a time, as they have new owners. It's kind of a dump. I mean, just old looking. I got that pee smell when I went in there, too. Of course, my parents' room smells like that, too. I bring air fresheners and open the window when I visit to air it out.

They said that they could accomodate them with the furnishings and place them together. They also have some good activities, including using the WII (video game system) in their physical therapy. I met a couple of nice ladies who lived there who were together mentally and I think they would make nice friends for my parents. My dad is an awful flirt! I am going to stop by a facility by Huguley today, as I am going to be in the area. That's about fifteen minutes from here. I talked to Dad last night and he asked him if he thought that it would be better if they could live closer to me. He said he wanted to go home, but I told him that Mom's too sick for him to care for and that it might be almost as good if he could be nearer to us. He agreed. He was pretty mellow last night. Not angry at all. We had a good talk.

Mom has a rash today, they think from the anti biotic she's on. I asked them if it might be shingles, and the nurse said it didn't look like it. I've had shingles before and it was a nightmare.

Still looking. Haven't talked to my sister about it yet. I can't imagine that she'd be anything but relieved to have the whole thing taken off her conscience. Not that it bothers her now. I don't care what my brother thinks. He's got nothing to do with it anyway. I'll just take care of them as I see fit. I'm the only one that's going to do it anyway. It's sad that as little as my parents have that my family is only interested in what they can get out of it instead of what they can do. I don't want any of it. I have my own stuff. I'm only interested in making sure that we don't lose family pictures. I found an absolutely precious picture of my Grandma, Dad's mother, wearing full cowboy attire, chaps and all, next to her paint horse on the prairie in Kansas, probably taken around 1915 or so. She's about seventeen. She said once she used to be handy with a horse and a gun. It must have been right before she married. I would love to have that restored and display it with pride.

We would love to see that picture! Can you get it digitally scanned? I am sorry about what you are going through but I think you are perfectly capable of making the right decisions. I was the BIG sis for many years and the younger siblings depended on me for much of their lives.

My mother got leuchemia and I brought her to live with me and I was in my 20s. I took care of her by myself til she died. They visited on occasion and told me what to do and never contributed a cent to her care. When my dad got sick, I backed out and they hated me for a couple years. I still love my brother and sisters though. We just don't talk about that stuff!

Onthebit":u8fslhrz said:
I was the BIG sis for many years and the younger siblings depended on me for much of their lives.

My mother got leuchemia and I brought her to live with me and I was in my 20s. I took care of her by myself til she died. They visited on occasion and told me what to do and never contributed a cent to her care. When my dad got sick, I backed out and they hated me for a couple years. I still love my brother and sisters though. We just don't talk about that stuff!

Sorry for your time with all that. I don't have any brothers or sisters. I reckon it will be up to me.

I guess you just do this, Lammie. It isn't always fair and it is never pretty. I was a close observer of my parents with their parents. It is very humbling.
Folks nearing death say things. Shocking things. Things you wouldn't choose to know. And they are hardest on the family who do the most. It is amazing to me.
Dad had 3 siblings. One has already passed. The girl is 81 and out in alzheimers land. The youngest is starting to get the shaky hands his dad had. Dad is 82 and going in for a hip replacement Monday. Yesterday I had to pick him up when he fell down moving cows. God, how it must have hurt him. But he is a gamer, and he'll fight on.
Paperwork, that will be my curse. The rest (even diaper changes) I can (hopefully) handle. My mom and my aunt collaborated on the paperwork for my grandparents and it amounted to a half time job for each of them. Review the insurance statements, the bills, the regulations. Unreal. It shouldn't be that hard, but it is.

I have already been told by both of my older sisters that they would take care of our Mom, but as for Dad it was my job.
Our Dad was pretty abusive when we were younger, but they know I am the only one who can handle him.

I luv herfrds":2tbwe665 said:
I have already been told by both of my older sisters that they would take care of our Mom, but as for Dad it was my job.
Our Dad was pretty abusive when we were younger, but they know I am the only one who can handle him.

Mine too! That is why I backed off. My siblings didn't like having the proverbial rug pulled out from under them!

Lammie, I'm sorry you're having such problems. I was so lucky that my mother was able to stay home in her last years. I was able to be at her house before she got out of bed in the morning and made sure she ate and took her meds. Then we had lunch together, more meds. I drove her for appointments, grocery shopping, etc. My sister came home from work about 4 and took over. On weekends there was usually someone visiting so my sister had a break, too. I do think that if my dad had still been living, it would have been more difficult. My mother was so easy to get along with and appreciated everything anyone did for her. And her mind was good up until the end. You do the best you can under the circumstances you've got. Good luck and hang tough. :(

I visited today. Mom was out of it the entire time I was there. She's just overmedicated and that's a fact. I am about to get real angry about this. I have tried to see it from th point of view of the staff, but I think she's on too much stuff. No way would she sleep through a visit from her daughter and grandson. I am supposed to take them to Abilene for Thanksgiving and I can't handle her like this. There's no way she could even get to the bathroom like she is, much less eat.

I guess the slapping thing is under investigation. They can't stay together until it is resolved, and would not be able to do so anywhere I moved them. Dad was in pretty good spirits considering. We had a nice visit. He doesn't understand what this is all about. I tried to explain it to him but denied everything. I know he's ashamed of it. I know he regrets it. It just breaks my heart. He's not the kind of man to admit doing something like that, but I know he realizes what he did and is sorry. I just don't know if it would happen again.

I hate all this.

Onthebit, I have a scanner, I just have to figure out how to use it. It's a great picture.

Thanks, everyone. John, good luck with your dad. Wewild, I pray you don't have to go through this.

Latest posts