More beginner Help - What to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank everybody for their help. (See post "ABSOLUTE BEGINNER HELP") As I have more specific questions, I will start new posts, as to not be too confusing.

Now for the question(s). Since I will be starting with a 200 - 300lb steer, I assume that I will feed him grain/hay while confined in my feed pen, and after a month or so, turn him out to pasture. then I will let him grow over the next year to around 800 lbs, and then bring him back into the feed pen, to finish off on grain. Does this seem reasonable? If my reasoning is correct, then what type of grain (specifically) do I start him on? Also, how much daily?

What about Hay? What type of hay do I need to buy? Do I need to put the hay on some type of feeder, or can I just put it on the ground? Do I keep hay for him all the time and just let him eat what he wants? Once I turn him out to pasture, do I need to keep giving him hay? Or how can I tell if my pasture if sufficient enough for him. (At least until winter)

Also, once I turn him out to pasture should I give him a little bit of grain each day. (Mainly to keep him tame, and wanting to come into the pen)

Thanks for all your help

Tim

First of all, as others have said, you would probably be better off to get 2 animals if you are going to have them on pasture because a lone animal will seek out the company of a herd, i.e the neighbors cattle, etc. If you were going to keep them in a secure pen the entire time, then you could easily keep one animal contained.

If you are getting a 200-300 lb animal, it is either already weaned or in the process, so I would put it in a secure pen as soon as I got it home and provide it plenty of fresh water, all the hay it wanted, and a little feed (maybe 2-3 lbs in the evening). I would keep it in the pen for a few weeks and then turn it out to your 5-6 acre pasture, where all it should need until winter (say mid Nov) is grass, water, and a salt block. It wouldn't hurt to give it some feed each evening, just to keep him coming up to the pen. Around Nov. or when all your grass is gone, you will probably need to provide some hay. I would just put out a round bale and call it good - either coastal or sudan. That will last him quite a while.

When you decide he's big enough to put back in the pen to finish off, I would start him out slowly on a beef builder product (say 3-5 lbs morning and night) that can be obtained from most any feed store. Different stores have different names for a beef builder feed, but basically it is just a loose sweet feed with grain, corn, molasses, etc. Keep increasing the amount of feed until he is eating around 20-25 lbs day. During the time he is in the pen, I would only give him about 2 flakes of hay per feeding - just enough to keep his rumen working. A flake of hay is where a small sqaure bale naturally separates when you remove the wires.

Mine have never gained as well by themselves as when they have company. I'd say go with two calves.

you will want to feed the calf grain everyday.even with him being on pasture.as well as hay though the winter.costal hay or grass hay would be good for him.so id say feed him grain all the time.scott

What do I need to feed my calves from? As far as hay, I plan on just leaving it on the ground. I dont figure I will have that much wast with just 2 steers. Am I correct?

Also, what about when I feed them grain? Do I just dump it on the ground, feed out of a bucket (if so what type), or do I need to get some kind of feed trough. (Where is a good place to get one) Also, can I feed both steers at once, or do I need to try and separate them, so they can get an equal amount of grain?

Tim

tim1970":28pvxv5i said:
What do I need to feed my calves from? As far as hay, I plan on just leaving it on the ground. I dont figure I will have that much wast with just 2 steers. Am I correct?

Also, what about when I feed them grain? Do I just dump it on the ground, feed out of a bucket (if so what type), or do I need to get some kind of feed trough. (Where is a good place to get one) Also, can I feed both steers at once, or do I need to try and separate them, so they can get an equal amount of grain?

Tim

Don't dump feed (except perhaps range cubes) on ground. Get a large rubber tub or other feeder to put feed in. Any farm & ranch store has containers you need.

Yes, if two or more animals, give them separate feed containers...spaced 20 to 30 feet apart. If not, the dominant one(s) will chase the weaker ones off and eat their food too. Even then, they will play "musical feed bowls"; however, they will rotate and everyone still gets their share (hopefully).

I agree with Running Arrow....dont feed on the ground. You'll find them wasting a lot of it. The heifer we just weaned would eat and then make a bed on the leftover hay. You can buy black rubber tubs at any feed store. They run $5-$20 depending on size. Get larger ones for the hay and a couple smaller ones for the grain. That's what works for us when feeding small numbers.

tenacres":2mjmm2rd said:
I agree with Running Arrow....dont feed on the ground. You'll find them wasting a lot of it. The heifer we just weaned would eat and then make a bed on the leftover hay. You can buy black rubber tubs at any feed store. They run $5-$20 depending on size. Get larger ones for the hay and a couple smaller ones for the grain. That's what works for us when feeding small numbers.

I feed a smaller numbers of calves a few more than you but I still don't have it mastered but I have learned a few things. I feed silage and corn to my finishers. I grow em on a lower energy rations 20 lbs silage 8 lbs corn 1 lb 41% supplment 3 oz right now emerald mineral and then for the whole heard i feed a few flakes oat hay and a few flakes alfalfa they grade very well and grow descent dont know if that helps ya but its my thoughts

Latest posts