More about Minerals.

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
After being on this site a while, I have decided that minerals are more important than what some make them out to be from my area. I have thrown the blocks away and went to loose mineral. I have beef heifers and am working toward a cow/calf operation. I recently stopped by the feed store and he sold me what he calls a "spring mineral" with magnesium. He also said the "fly mineral" was good for fly control. Can I keep one or both of these out all year? Is there a basic mineral that people keep out all year, or does it change with the seasons? Do the cows need something different when with calf?

The "spring" mineral has higher magnesium levels to prevent grass tetany, after they've been on good spring grass for a month or so they don;t need it anymore (till next year or when you get a real serious grass growing spurt). The fly mineral needs to be started a month or so before the flys start showing very much (before even starting to show is better). We use a basic mineral during the winter, the same mineral with high mag in the spring then the same basic mineral with IGR for the fly season.

dun":3smolcir said:
The "spring" mineral has higher magnesium levels to prevent grass tetany, after they've been on good spring grass for a month or so they don;t need it anymore (till next year or when you get a real serious grass growing spurt). The fly mineral needs to be started a month or so before the flys start showing very much (before even starting to show is better). We use a basic mineral during the winter, the same mineral with high mag in the spring then the same basic mineral with IGR for the fly season.

Thanks for the reply. What is the specific brand and name you use? I'd like to be able to walk in the store and say, "give me a bag of blah, blah, blah, and walk out. That would keep things simple.

We use Vigortone, but there are a lof of good minerals available. Pretty much stick with the brand names and you won;t get stuck.

dun":3qvz5lyj said:

What Dun is saying is it is not just "feeding a mineral". It is a continous, year round, balanced, mineral program that changes to meet the cattle's requirements as the conditions change. --- When changing to a good, balanced mineral program, don't expect to physically see with your eyes dramatic results, you won't. the results will be subtle and measurable 6-12 months later in improved gains and conception rates, less breeding and calving problems, stronger healthier cattle, etc.

dun":ejyonpqr said:
We use Vigortone, but there are a lof of good minerals available. Pretty much stick with the brand names and you won;t get stuck.

Vigortone is one of the best. It is a very old mineral company with tons of experience. Not just a feed company making minerals to sell.

hero.... YOu found out like I did several years back, that the block minerals just dont cut it, and the loose minerals are the way to go. As Mid South said, you will not notice a huge difference, but will be subtle over time. I kinda do as dun does... throughout the winter months we keep a good loose mineral out that I get from the local feed store, then around February timeframe change over to the same mineral with the fly control. I have been very pleased with the results, and my cattle like it too.. :2cents:

Protein source and it is only to feed at the rate of not more than 5 lbs each day. It is usually likely to feed with pasture that's adequate power to offset the protein.

vince22":131xa8hs said:
Protein source and it is only to feed at the rate of not more than 5 lbs each day. It is usually likely to feed with pasture that's adequate power to offset the protein.
You lost me with this one !!! :shock:

it's a good idea to have the mineral with IGR stashed away for spring use. i usually start the IGR in march and around the tulsa area there never seems to be any around at that time of year.........

Does anyone put out salt in addition to the mineral? Someone said that they didn't think cows often got enough salt from the mineral mixes, and I heard someone the other day talking about how important pure salt was to cattle.

Floyd":3lgyknh2 said:
All the loose mineral I have purchased recommends placing free choice loose salt near the mineral.

i put the salt licks out but with the mineral in their feed; the salt blocks go mighty slow.........

Latest posts