Montana Brands Database

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
For you Montana folks on here-- I tried it out and it works great...

MCA Launches Montana Brands Searchable Database

Source: Montana Cattlemen's Association (MCA)

February 26, 2008

Billings, Mont. ~ The Montana Cattlemen's Association (MCA) is pleased to announce that it has launched the Montana Brands Searchable Database, an online version of the MCA Cattlemen's Brand Book Reference Manual. The searchable database contains Montana's approximately 54,000 registered brands that are accessible to all current members of the organization.

"I am pleased with the outcome of the brand book. We have invested a tremendous amount of time and energy into collecting and converting the state's brand information into an electronic database—it seems only logical that we adapt this information into a 21st century tool!" said MCA Vice President Kim Baker.

Working with the Montana Department of Livestock, MCA began compiling the data for the brand books in 2005. Through the tireless efforts of the Brand Book Committee, organized by Kim Baker, the first edition of the brand books were released in November 2007.

"The need for a 48-hour trace back is actually what spurred us to offer this resource on the web," continued Baker. "MCA opposes the idea of a mandatory electronic animal ID system. Montana's hot iron brand laws provide an effective, low-cost system for tracking the movement of livestock. This system is available online 24/7, and brand information will be updated every three months."

Anyone can log onto the Montana Cattlemen's Association website at: http://www.montanacattlemen.org and click on the brand search button. Follow the directions to create a user account, which will allow you to search the system three times free of charge. A one-year membership to MCA costs $50.00 and will allow unlimited access to search the brands database for one year.

Brands can be searched by major and minor characters, the brand owner, and the county of range. You may also search through brand position and species. Search results will provide a copy of the brand, the locations, and registration information of the owner.

"This has been an excellent project for MCA. We just completed printing the second edition of the book, and have sold more than 600 copies of the first run," noted Baker. "I am glad that we can offer all of this information in an electronic format."

montanacattlemen.org.

Guess I better get on there and look up our brand's.
Check and see if the uncle still has that brand I keep trying to buy off of him. ;-)
thanks for letting us know OT.

It's interesting, while I'm in Montana to look at all the brands on the different herds. Don't know why? but in MN, ain't no branding. :?

mnmtranching":2e16zg64 said:
It's interesting, while I'm in Montana to look at all the brands on the different herds. Don't know why? but in MN, ain't no branding. :?

Around here if you sell something that doesn't have your brand (is a no brand) you almost have to take a lie detector test to prove its yours.... ;-) :lol:

We do have brands in MN. It is through the Dept of Animal Health. It is difficult to get a brand. There are quite a few that do brand here. Alot of the bigger outfits do brand, using the freeze brand method. My hubby being from Wyoming they branded everything, even the horses.

We brand our horses here too.
We use a hot iron, like to do it when we have the stud colts castrated because they are already out cold and don't know anything.
Really hard getting a brand here too. Single brands are darn near impossible to get. Our friends brand is the Apple, his uncles used to be the Pear.
Sometimes you can try to submit a new brand, but the rules make it hard to do also. Just easier to go look and see what brands are no longer registered and apply for that one.

idylglade1":3h717i4f said:
We do have brands in MN. It is through the Dept of Animal Health. It is difficult to get a brand. There are quite a few that do brand here. Alot of the bigger outfits do brand, using the freeze brand method. My hubby being from Wyoming they branded everything, even the horses.

That is interesting :???: I have watched a ka-zillion feeder calves sell in Minnesota :shock: ain't never seen Minnesota calves with a brand. :roll:

Not saying there aren't some that brand, but it must be rare.

Latest posts