Hurricane Irene Hits Montana

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Today the weather forecast was for scattered thunderstorms- 30% chance of moisture... At noon it was 90 degrees at the house...At about 2:30 a little cloud rolled in - couple flashs of lightning and claps of thunder- and then it started dumping rain... About 35-40 mph winds...

Picked up 3.8" in about 2 hours...And a couple miles each direction got little or none (weather bureau is 2 miles north and they got .28)...

Weather bureau called me a couple times during the storm to check how much we had as they said their radar was showing the storm was just sitting over us and down the creek/river valley - and dumping...

I don't know if it means good mojo or bad- as we can always use the moisture- but I was hoping this afternoon to start cleaning out corrals that were just drying out from the spring and floods....Be awhile now before they are dry again...

hillsdown":1nonirgy said:
That sure is a fast and strange moving tropical storm as it just hit NB today . :?

Yep-- I think this was Irenes twin sister.... ;-) But it sure dumped some rain down here in the valley...Luckily no hay down yet- as second cutting is about ready to cut..

That happened at our place once. Got 2 1/2 inches in about 30 minutes. Storm was 1 1/2 mile long and about 3/4 wide. Neighbors all around me got none. Really didn't do any noticable good, we were needing a rain, just seemed to steam away. It made the local news, I forgot what the weathermen called it. Hadn't been a cloud in the sky all day, then wham. gs

Oldtimer":21bzy4s7 said:
hillsdown":21bzy4s7 said:
That sure is a fast and strange moving tropical storm as it just hit NB today . :?

Yep-- I think this was Irenes twin sister.... ;-) But it sure dumped some rain down here in the valley...Luckily no hay down yet- as second cutting is about ready to cut..

Did the dung beetles go to looting?

Jogeephus":43jannyk said:
Oldtimer":43jannyk said:
hillsdown":43jannyk said:

Did the dung beetles go to looting?

I'm hoping it came down hard enough to kill the hoard of grasshoppers that were dining on my second cutting alfalfa- and wheat fields....

The Montana weatherman this morning mentioned that dirty four letter word in his forecast for tonight--SNOW...Altho only in the higher elevations...
Just out of curiosity I looked up the earliest we've ever gotten snow here in NE MT-- and it was Sept 13th...

OT,
When I saw your comment about the earliest snow in Montana I immeadiately thought January 1. I know I have been snowed on in Montana in July. It was at a little higher elevation than your corner of the state. I wonder if there is a date when it hasn't snowed somewhere in Montana?

Our weatherman used the "F" word this morning, Frost.
those storms went to the south and east of us yesterday. Hubby is cutting the malt barley as fast as he can and we have a neighbor just south of us with around a section of spring wheat windrowed and they are combining like crazy. Suppose to start raining here tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night.

Dave honestly I don't think there is a month in which Montana has not gotten snowed on somewhere. My family was snowed on on July 4th back in the 80's up in the Beartooth Mountains. It was almost 90 degrees in Billings when we got back.

I am sure that there has been snow somewhere in Montana every month. I remember leaving southern Oregon in May one year with a little thin jacket. Got to a rodeo in Bozeman and like to froze to death. I learned never go to Montana without a heavy coat. Might not need it but it is sure coming with. The temperature here hasn't broke 70 degrees here the last two day so we are sending cooler air your way.

Since everything is a muddy mess here and I can't do much in the mud- this morning I went to the north place- 30 miles north- thinking maybe I could clean corrals there...When I got there, there was water puddles standing in the road...Checked the rain gauge and we had gotten 3/4 of an inch there...So me and the granddaughter just drove around on the prairie and checked cows...

On July 4th 1974 I was on Lone Mountain near the upper village - and a storm rolled in that night...And about midnite it was snowing hard- with thunder and lightning flashs lighting up the snow...Weirdist thing I'd ever saw- thought the world was coming to an end...

Yeah we have an 80% chance of rain for tomorrow night...

The storms pretty much went by us. Got a little rain last night and have a mist falling now.
Sure could use some of it to get the winter wheat in the ground and going good.

We just continue to break records this year!
THE ALL-TIME YEARLY RAINFALL RECORD IN GLASGOW WAS BROKEN LAST
EVENING...AUG 31ST...WHEN 0.47 INCHES OF RAIN FELL. 2011 NOW HAS
21.00 INCHES FOR THE YEAR...BREAKING THE OLD RECORD FOR THE WHOLE
YEAR OF 20.73 INCHES IN 1938.

Winter from He77 gave us a new record snowfall- and that and record rainfall for several spring months gave us 90 days of flooding and new record flooding!!

I'd be plumb happy to just get back to a normal year...

Latest posts