Registering Brands

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I was curious what procedures the different states have for registering your brand. Florida seems to be pretty easy so for. I printed the application (could have done it all on line) filled everything out wrote a check for 10 bucks and mailed it. The check was cashed 6 days later and I should have the certificate this week. Its good for 5 years and renewal is 5 bucks.

Were evidently, not much of a brand state. Less than a 1000 are registered, and most seemed like they were horse people.

Well our brand has been approved by the state, but the county probate judge hasen't called yet. My wife just called and ours application is in the mail. But GA is higher it cost us $15.00. Thanks M5 for the reminder.

highgrit":2u2e0bez said:
Well our brand has been approved by the state, but the county probate judge hasen't called yet. My wife just called and ours application is in the mail. But GA is higher it cost us $15.00. Thanks M5 for the reminder.
What does the judge have to do with it.

In Texas they're registered by county, at the county clerk's office. I can't remember the cost but it's reasonable. When you register one it's good until the next year that ends in 1, such as 2011, and good for 10 years after that.

CA is $50 every other year(I think) and you have to register not only the brand but the locations and earmark. Mine is still in my dad's name as it costs more to transfer it and you have to sign in front of a notary and a few other little hassles so we just leave it that way. The brand inspector knows me and all of my neighbors know they're mine and that's the whole point.

M5, the judge certifies it and records it in our county. Then the probate judge sends all the paper work back to the GA. dept. of Agriculture. That's what they told us to do, and it seems to be working. More government BS. But if my cows are stolen and I catch someone with them, I want to make sure their mine.

highgrit":wg8puuxo said:
M5, the judge certifies it and records it in our county. Then the probate judge sends all the paper work back to the GA. dept. of Agriculture. That's what they told us to do, and it seems to be working. More government BS. But if my cows are stolen and I catch someone with them, I want to make sure their mine.

Brand will be handy to have on your cattle when it gets on the highway and totals a car and the attorneys flock to the scene.

Yes Jogeephus I thought of that, but I'm supposed to have insurance for that. If it's my cow I'd claim it no matter what the consequences might be. I'm more worried about selling cattle to somebody and then them getting me in trouble. We've been working on this scenario today. It's looking like we might have to tattoo them in the ear.
It's heck trying to do things because your worried about what other folks might do, or not do.

.... I'm more worried about selling cattle to somebody and then them getting me in trouble....

What kind of trouble?

I brand mine because it's my understanding that it gives me a much better chance of getting them back if they're stolen, and they're probably less likely to get stolen in the first place.

cow pollinater":3ulj5ryt said:
CA is $50 every other year(I think) and you have to register not only the brand but the locations and earmark. Mine is still in my dad's name as it costs more to transfer it and you have to sign in front of a notary and a few other little hassles so we just leave it that way. The brand inspector knows me and all of my neighbors know they're mine and that's the whole point.

Are you saying the brand is in your dad's name and you are allowed to sell the cattle in your name? :eek:

Unless you have a clearance, no brand inspector here would allow that.

highgrit":2bcdd14n said:
Yes Jogeephus I thought of that, but I'm supposed to have insurance for that. If it's my cow I'd claim it no matter what the consequences might be. I'm more worried about selling cattle to somebody and then them getting me in trouble. We've been working on this scenario today. It's looking like we might have to tattoo them in the ear.
It's heck trying to do things because your worried about what other folks might do, or not do.

With our fence laws the way they are what is the point? Seems like a lot of trouble for little to no gain to me.

Oklahoma must be quite different. My understanding which may be dangerous... unless it's proven that an animal has a history of escaping, or the driver is proven negligent, it's a wash. Each party takes its own loses.

A trucker smacked a steer of ours last year, and that's how it played out. They were quick to call that good with the state patrol, and so we're we.

No one even looked at the fence, but it was a 5 wire in perfect condition. Calf had just been moved that day for easy load out a couple days later but apparently wasn't okay with it.

Black calf on a black highway at night, not a good combination. Just glad it was a truck and not a small vehicle where someone was hurt.

Every state is different. In Georgia if your cow gets out and a car hits it you pay the damages. You pay the damages even if you have signs on the road warning you are moving cows across the road and the idiot driver runs past your trucks with the flashing lights and the flagman and hits the cows crossing the road. You pay. Their stupidity is your fault.

Was told when I was in Montana if I hit a cow on the road I bought the cow and the brand told you who to pay.

I looked into branding but I don't see the point. The brand goes with the cow even if I no longer own it so what happens if I sell it to a neighbor and it gets hit by a car. Brand says its mine. I don't know. Can't see the point but maybe I'm missing something and HIghgrit can enlighten me on.

virginia
Please review the Requirements Governing the Branding of Cattle in Virginia regulation. This regulation will keep you in compliance with Virginia's cattle branding laws. A current register of active cattle brands is maintained at the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and all brands that are applied for are compared to the register to verify that no duplications have occurred. The register will be updated annually and posted, but please remember that since this register is updated annually, there may be additional brands registered in the last year that are not displayed.
If you are interested in registering your cattle brand, please print and complete an application for cattle branding; there is a brand registry price of $10.00 per brand location. All checks or money orders shall be payable to The Treasure of Virginia. After receiving your application for cattle branding, your cattle brand will be examined (to ensure that it complies with the registration and is not a duplicate) and if accepted the funds will be processed and you will receive your cattle brand certificate in the mail. At that time, your name and address will be added to the active cattle brands register for Virginia.

Latest posts