Some Montana pics

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
The Yellowstone flowing out of Montana.

P1010020-3.jpg

This is a lift bridge over the Yellowstone River. I REALLY like that is being saved. Built in about 1912. Yup! it was built to raise for steam ships to pass. Notice how the main stream has changed? [actually this is in ND a couple miles]

P1010018-4.jpg

This is another. This one is still being used as a railroad, hasn't lifted in about 75 years. On the Missouri River a few miles from the ND border. MAN! I hope this will be saved too.

P1010023-2.jpg

The free flowing Missouri River just a few miles West of North Dakota.

P1010022-1.jpg

Joe, I didn't bring fishing gear this trip. You know the second bridge photo? I took black dogs down the bank for a swim. [90 something :shock: ] I saw all the evidence of cat fish fishing. I thought "DANG" :cry2: should have brought a pole. :oops: :oops: One of these times. :nod:

mnmtranching":1ayti9as said:
Joe, I didn't bring fishing gear this trip. You know the second bridge photo? I took black dogs down the bank for a swim. [90 something :shock: ] I saw all the evidence of cat fish fishing. I thought "DANG" :cry2: should have brought a pole. :oops: :oops: One of these times. :nod:

You could have tried noodling. :idea: I went out there a few years ago and found the temp to be hot but the water was a lot colder than you would think.

That second bridge must be the Snowden Bridge... Many a year ago- I had a girlfriend that lived in the Bainville area- and we'd drive across that bridge on our way to go to Sidney or Glendive...
I think they closed it to vehicle traffic 20 or so years ago--but it used to have a green light and red light on each end-- and if the green light was on you could drive across (and pray you didn't meet anyone ;-) :lol2: ).. They still run a train up there occasionally...

Great pics, thanks for sharing mnmt, glad you and the hounds had a safe and productive trip. :D

You didn't happen to spot a horn bag floating in the Missouri just out of ND did ya? It was black with a camera and a water bottle in it. :nod:

Misty, must be a story behind that? The only things I saw floating on the river where honkers.

OT I guessed at the 75 years since it lifted. I know the steamship era ended with the building of the NP transcontinental railroad then the GN Highline. I doubt the Snowden will be used much longer as a RR bridge. Then I suppose it will be scraped like most of the rest of the RR history.
OT that would be a quite a effort for a girl friend, hope there is good memories there. :D

Thanks Y'all. So many people cruse out across Montana on the Interstate. I take the trails including the two tracks. Endless stuff to explore. Like lots of places I reckon.

Latest posts