Registering Brands

Help Support CattleToday:

John SD":3tobxc4r said:
cow pollinater":3tobxc4r said:
CA is $50 every other year(I think) and you have to register not only the brand but the locations and earmark. Mine is still in my dad's name as it costs more to transfer it and you have to sign in front of a notary and a few other little hassles so we just leave it that way. The brand inspector knows me and all of my neighbors know they're mine and that's the whole point.

Are you saying the brand is in your dad's name and you are allowed to sell the cattle in your name? :eek:

Unless you have a clearance, no brand inspector here would allow that.
He has two brands, one bar RP and one C hanging P. Since my initials are CP and his are RP and we share the last name and I've known both brand inspectors literally all my life there's never been a problem. :lol: About the worst thing that's ever come out of it was the army corp of engineers calling him about my cows being out on the lake. He in turn called me.

Joe, I'm branding so I'll know and be able to prove that the cows belong to me. The chances of me ever catching a thief with my stuff is slim to none. But if I do, I don't want no BS over ownership.

HG, I've never heard of cow theft in your area have you? Our dead beats seem to be too lazy and prefer a/c coils and copper.

Better safe than sorry. There's been some cattle stolen within a hundred miles. And no one has been caught selling any black cows yet to the best of my knowledge. I have CRS and can't tell my calves apart in my herd now. And if it wasn't for the ear tag we'd be lost trying to figure out what calf belongs to what cow. So how can you ever identify your cattle IF they do get stolen?

I don't dwell on every IF when the odds are in my favor. Cattle theft is not a problem here so I'm not about to make work for myself. There are people here who have more cattle than me and have them scattered all over the county and none of them brand. I don't think a brand would even raise an eyebrow at our sales either. I might be wrong. Do we have someone at our sales that polices brands?

When calves are 1200 to 1500 a piece its not going to take long for these crack heads to figure out its easier than copper. HG got a tour of my community yesterday and were far from being a town and had a car jacking robbery last week.

Stealing pecans got to be a big thing here when they hit $3/lb. After two of the thieves were shot stealing pecans the pecan thievery ended and to my knowledge there hasn't been another case.

Do I have to bring my brand paperwork with me, if I leave the state with cattle? No state I've visited with cattle really does inspections.

Named'em Tamed'em":v1hhj5z5 said:
The weight station on Hwy 90 at the Washington -Idaho border has a livestock inspection station requires you to stop.

I never do . :hide:

Same here but they are just checking to be sure you have vet paperwork.

I have a bull with a brand on it. Its not my brand. Wasn't the guys brand who sold it to me and I won't have any problem selling it when the time comes. I just really don't see the point myself. If my cattle were comingling with others or if we had a free range laws like many of the western states do I can see that. Just seems like unnecessary expense and trouble. What happens if you sell a branded cow to someone and it gets on the highway? The brand says the cow is yours and the fella might - now I know this would never happen because all cattlemen are honest and salt of the earth - claim its not his cow. Wonder who the attorneys sitting on the fence with the buzzards are going to come looking for.