MONEY IDEA

Help Support CattleToday:

I just had one of our limi bulls up at the stud in VA and he said he was one of the best handling bulls he had ever handled. I asked him about bull docility ,and he said angus was as wild as any breed he had has up there. So dont preach that crap that limis are wild to the ones that dont know better and try push angus down thier throat.

What planet are you from? Where do you get that I'm pushing angus? Never in one post have I ever advocated angus to anyone. Not that the angus I have are bad, I just prefer other breeds better. I just will NEVER have a crazy limi period. I'm glad you had good luck with yours. I've seen too many that were nuts and from the response of most on here, they have too.

I would worry since there are some Limi that list 100# BWs...I wouldn't do that to anyone, sell a heifer that has the potential of claving problems...could get some nice calves but then you want to sell bred heifers not weaned calves...what the hell it's some one else's problem when calf pulling time arrives. Seasoned cows are another option...big cows. Just my opinion.
Dmc

man did I open a messy can of worms. I just had the idea of herefords because I can get them almost 10 cent a# cheaper at the market Imay just buy anything I can pickup half way decent. as for the age my family has always breed like that we feel it helps to have a big heifer and we have almost no trubles this way. the black limo bull I plan on useing trows calfs in the 60 to 67# aera and man they grow like kuzu. in the area were I live all of limo,sim,char,gel,and angus bulls are used on all types of cows so selling them souldn't be a big deal and Iam not tryn to get rich doing it just make a few bucks and enjoy the cattle.

bgm":2l2pwvhb said:
I just had one of our limi bulls up at the stud in VA and he said he was one of the best handling bulls he had ever handled. I asked him about bull docility ,and he said angus was as wild as any breed he had has up there. So dont preach that crap that limis are wild to the ones that dont know better and try push angus down thier throat.

What planet are you from? Where do you get that I'm pushing angus? Never in one post have I ever advocated angus to anyone. Not that the angus I have are bad, I just prefer other breeds better. I just will NEVER have a crazy limi period. I'm glad you had good luck with yours. I've seen too many that were nuts and from the response of most on here, they have too.

I think i speak for most of all the Limi breeders. We get tired of hearing how crazy and wild they are from the angus and other breeders. Most of which have never had or seen many limi 's. I got over 150 and they are as gentle as lambs .I dont get the wild and crazy crap. My neighboor has over 200 limi momas and they aint crazy . It is everybodys responsibility to cull wild animals in any breed . If you got a wild limi , by all means cull it.I think since limis cut better , yield better, grow better and convert better , people trash them on the only thing they can, docility. We dont trash angus every time someone mentions the word so why do everybody trash limis . At least limis will grow and wont be a year old before they get 600 lb.

I have a herd of Limos that have never given me any problem. This is a herd that was started on this farm many years ago. The only outside additions are the various bulls over the years. They are as tame as can be around me or anyone they are used to. If someone thay don't know want's to help out during the working they will get upset. Of course any breed will. I have had very gentle hereferd cattle. I bought one last week about 250 pounds that is byfar the craziest I have on the place. I still have him in the barn. Evertime I go in there he's climbing the walls. He breaks ignort evertime he see's anybody. I'll give him another week or two but if he don't come around he's gone. At 250 I can handle him, at 1050 I won't be able to. Bottom line is any animal can be highstrung, don't matter what color they are. Out of the three major breeds of cattle , Black-uns, Red-uns, and White-uns, any of them can be crazy.

Bama":3qf8ur61 said:
Bottom line is any animal can be highstrung, don't matter what color they are. Out of the three major breeds of cattle , Black-uns, Red-uns, and White-uns, any of them can be crazy.

A-MEN

polledbull":4j2g6k0n said:
Caustic Burno":4j2g6k0n said:
Why use a black limi as you are getting watered down Angus genetics anyway. I wouldn't cross a a Limi with a red cur dog.

The Limousin Genetics we have sure aint watered down angus, I got some angus and the limi calves beat the angus calves any every dept. In fact I have never seen a angus calf grow worth a tinkers doodle if you want my opinion. lets tell the truth , we all have seen those dumpy angus calves that weight 300 lb at 5 months and weight 350 at 9 months and never make a decent yearling.The sale barn is full of them every thur.but since they are black , they bring top dollar.let a black limi calf go in the ring and you can see the difference from the top row.No comparison on muscle and thickness.

How did they get black then, Darwins mutant black cattle gene that has effected all the major breeds. As I said watered down Angus.

polledbull":2byslkay said:
I think i speak for most of all the Limi breeders. We get tired of hearing how crazy and wild they are from the angus and other breeders. Most of which have never had or seen many limi 's.

Like I said, I'm glad you had good luck with yours. I've seen my share of them. At the sale barns here, they often the ones making everyone run for cover. Then at my grandfathers place, where he used them the last few years of his life. I told him what I thought of them, but he used them, right up till one of them killed him.

While I fully agree with Bama that any of them can be crazy, you will never convince me that the limi reputation isn't deserved.

Good luck to you.

bgm":a2gjjj29 said:
polledbull":a2gjjj29 said:
I think i speak for most of all the Limi breeders. We get tired of hearing how crazy and wild they are from the angus and other breeders. Most of which have never had or seen many limi 's.

Like I said, I'm glad you had good luck with yours. I've seen my share of them. At the sale barns here, they often the ones making everyone run for cover. Then at my grandfathers place, where he used them the last few years of his life. I told him what I thought of them, but he used them, right up till one of them killed him.

While I fully agree with Bama that any of them can be crazy, you will never convince me that the limi reputation isn't deserved.

Good luck to you.

I agree there are lots of nuts out there I hauled a Brangus 2 year old bull craziest I ever seen wouldn't walk in a pen with him without a 44, sold him for slaughter at the barn. I hope Hormel grinds him into chili.

bgm":1nmb3yt9 said:
polledbull":1nmb3yt9 said:

Tell us polled bull and limiman how docile those poor limousines are. Everybody just verbally abusing them saying how bad and man killers they can be. Nah. Not the limos. :p :p

la4angus":lagtgogk said:
bgm":lagtgogk said:
polledbull":lagtgogk said:

Tell us polled bull and limiman how docile those poor limousines are. Everybody just verbally abusing them saying how bad and man killers they can be. Nah. Not the limos. :p :p

Why did limis start a temperament epd if they aren't crazy.

Caustic Burno":1kwzslvp said:
la4angus":1kwzslvp said:
bgm":1kwzslvp said:
polledbull":1kwzslvp said:

Why did limis start a temperament epd if they aren't crazy.

:shock: :shock: Good point Caustic :D

there was a few certian fullblood sires that was used heavely during the early years (60's and early70's) of breeding here in the US . such as 747 , Carnaval, Espoir De Carnaval, which had some temperment problems . These bulls could be found in almost every pedigree in any limi cow throught the mid 80's . It was apperant that these certian lines were going to give problems and breeders started going away from them as new bulls came on the scene. This was 20 yrs. ago . The doc. epd was a tool adopted to distinguish the problem lines and to also recognize the good ones. It quickly brought to the surface the more docile lines . It is a completely different set of cattle than that of 20 yrs. ago. I reckon it is safe to say that yes some of the early limis were crazy , but I argue that point for what I call ths modern era of limousin. Limousin fill the show ring all across the US and I see no difference in how they act than that of any other breed come show day . Again let me reinerate , It is our responsibility as cattleman to make sure we cull every wild or crazy animal, or poor milker , or slow breeder we have to insure we are making progress with our own herds.I reckon I have everybody goodin stirred up now .

They started a docility epd because Limi breeders needed it, something Angus and some other breeds should consider.Angus got a yw and ww epd, they needed it, why did they start a frame epd, because they needed it.

Latest posts