MONEY IDEA

Help Support CattleToday:

lilbitfarm

Reaction score
I have the idea of buying 5 or 6 hereford heifers and breeding them to a black limo bull when they are about 22 months old and selling them after I have perg. tested them. do yall think I can turn a little cash out of doing this? :cboy:

lilbitfarm":who2dcox said:
I have the idea of buying 5 or 6 hereford heifers and breeding them to a black limo bull when they are about 22 months old and selling them after I have perg. tested them. do yall think I can turn a little cash out of doing this? :cboy:

Not breeding them to a crazy Limo, Angus yes.

Yes, Limi would be the best to breed back to. Say you want to sell your calves at 700-800lbs. Limi's will get you there the fastest. Angus will take way to long.

Limi's will get you there the fastest.

Where? To the hospital? Never seen one that wasn't at least half crazy, certainly not cattle for beginners.

An alternative to balancing maternal and terminal traits within one breed is to select breeds that excel in a particular area. For example, Table 1 lists the latest information on 19 breeds compared for milk production, growth rate, mature size, percent retail product and age at puberty. This is a germ plasma study initiated in 1969 that is continuing at the U.S.D.A. Meat Animal Research Center (M.A.R.C.). The study indicates that out of 19 breeds researched, Charolais, Simmental, Limousin and Chianina ranked the highest in growth rate and mature size, percent retail product and have the longest age at puberty. These breeds were in last place for milk production.

I have been around cattle my whole life and just starting with my own little farm and for the limos my famliy has been useing them sences the late 80's with little to no troublesit's all in how you handle them. I wasn't tryn to get a fuss going just wanted to know if that may be a fast way to turn a few bucks I like almost all breeds just got to buy what I can get for the smallest amount of money and besdies I get the use of the bull of my choice red or black for free for working and helping my family out.

live wt- carcas wt- dress% %retail product-lbsretail pro
Limousin 1,142 726 63.4 76.5 555

Charolais 1,261 766 60.7 73.2 560

Simmental 1,278 766 59.8 72.8 557

Gelbvieh 1,247 748 59.9 74.2 555

Angus 1,133 695 61.3 67.1 466

Hereford 1,115 673 60.3 66.0 444

The importance of Dressing Percent and Retail Yield becomes dramatic when you consider:

Limousin cattle with approximately the same live weight as Angus and Hereford produced approximately 100 lbs. mor close-trimmed retail product.
When contrasted with Gelbvieh, Simmental and Charolais, Limousin weighing 100 to 130 lbs. less live weight produced the same quantity of retail product.
The importance of Dressing Percent and Retail Yield becomes dramatic when you consider:

Limousin cattle with approximately the same live weight as Angus and Hereford produced approximately 100 lbs. mor close-trimmed retail product.
When contrasted with Gelbvieh, Simmental and Charolais, Limousin weighing 100 to 130 lbs. less live weight produced the same quantity of retail product.

lilbitfarm":2gv3p4tc said:

Breed them to a low birth weight Angus bull. A Limo will be higher birth weight and many buyers will be afraid of calving difficulty.

LimiMan":31n5tw3w said:

Who cares about all that in this scenario??? He wants to sell bred heifers not steers on the rail. Give the buyers the calf that is most likely to be born alive. Breed them to an Angus and they can pick the breed they want for the second calf.

Is the Limi bull registered. If so, what's his BW EPD, Calving Ease, and Maternal Calving ease numbers? Calving ease would be my prime concern.

If it were me, first I'd have to ask myself if a Limi bull was the best bull I could use for breeding Hereford heifers. Personally, I don't think so. Second, I'd consider how many people would want to buy Hereford heifers bred to a Limi bull and how much would they be willing to pay? Third, what would my prospective buyers want to do with the calves (particularly the females)? Finally, what would this Limi bull do for the price that wouldn't be done as good or better with a good Angus bull? I'm not so sure there's great demand for terminal cross calving heifers. I'd go with a Black Angus bull if it were me.

Brandonm2":16zvxnp3 said:
LimiMan":16zvxnp3 said:

Who cares about all that in this scenario??? He wants to sell bred heifers not steers on the rail. Give the buyers the calf that is most likely to be born alive. Breed them to an Angus and they can pick the breed they want for the second calf.
Correct, I didnt read the question clearly.

Brandonm2":2x5z3f2t said:
LimiMan":2x5z3f2t said:

I love this it's like the Chevy,Dodge,Ford commercials all have the best built most powerful truck. I haven't seen a registered breeder yet that can't pull a data sheet from somewhere stating there breed is the best.

Definitely wouldn't breed to a lim. They are known to be crazy SOB's.
Breed to a good high gaining Angus bull and and it will out gain the limousin and bring a much higher price when you sell, whether it's just after being preg tested or if you decide to keep and sell as a cow calf pair or weaned calf or grown out and sell as a yearling. The good angus will out do and out gain a limousin any day of the week and bring more money per cwt. They are the most popular crosses anywheres in the country.

I have showed you my stats, can you show me yours? Stating that angus are more efficient and can yield more lbs of retail product than limouson.

la4angus":3ta86jor said:
Breed to a good high gaining Angus bull and and it will out gain the limousin and bring a much higher price when you sell, whether it's just after being preg tested or if you decide to keep and sell as a cow calf pair or weaned calf or grown out and sell as a yearling. The good angus will out do and out gain a limousin any day of the week and bring more money per cwt. They are the most popular crosses anywheres in the country.
Ha, you are dreaming if you think an angus will out gain a Limousin.

LimiMan":33y7h0k4 said:
la4angus":33y7h0k4 said:
Ha, you are dreaming if you think an angus will out gain a Limousin.
I know they will. You are dreaming if you think an angus can't outgain the limos.

Latest posts