MONEY IDEA

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry, I forgot Lilbitfarm asked the question that started this thread, not LimiMan.

LimiMan, you buy the Hereford heifers and breed them to your Limi, then tell us if you can do it turning a profit.

I am not saying that it cant be done, I know that some will out gain the limousins, but on a large scale the limousins will smoke the angus in feed effecientcy.

LimiMan":2mpyscbx said:
I have showed you my stats, can you show me yours? Stating that angus are more efficient and can yield more lbs of retail product than limouson.
Read my post again.

lilbitfarm":mkaylpzg said:
I have the idea of buying 5 or 6 hereford heifers and breeding them to a black limo bull when they are about 22 months old and selling them after I have perg. tested them. do yall think I can turn a little cash out of doing this? :cboy:
Well, I hate to break up a good argument by trying to answer your question, but---

Its really hard for anybody to guess whether or not you might make a profit without knowing what you're going to have to give for your heifers. If you buy them too high, you will most likely lock in a loss for yourself.

The only advice I would give on the breeding is to breed them to something that you wouldn't mind having calves out of. That will give you a little more flexibility in your marketing just in case you can't come out on them as bred heifers and need to calve them out. Sounds like you have free access to the Lims, so I'd pick one with a good BW (both actual and EPD). Might as well be black. Good luck.

rwtherefords":3cnzvytr said:
Sorry, I forgot Lilbitfarm asked the question that started this thread, not LimiMan.

LimiMan, you buy the Hereford heifers and breed them to your Limi, then tell us if you can do it turning a profit.

You need to go back and read what I wrote, I agree in this situation an angus would be better than a Limousin Bull.

Why are you waiting so late to breed them? Why not breed them at 15 months? Just curious.

la4angus":3buwet2s said:
LimiMan":3buwet2s said:
I am not saying that it cant be done,.
Then retract your statement about me dreaming
I am not even talking to you,you need to catch up or go to another thread.
First statement was to caustic
second statement was to the hereford guy.

Brandonm2":1ae4qlu4 said:
Breed them to a low birth weight Angus bull. A Limo will be higher birth weight and many buyers will be afraid of calving difficulty.

I think Brandonm2 hit it perfect:

Could you turn a profit breeding to a limo? probably.

Would I buy heifers bred to a limo? NO

If I were buying heifers to put in a herd I would be more concerned about them calving easy the first time around. Whoever buys these heifers are going to be putting their cash on the line, and I personally would want as low of a risk of losing the heifer and or calf as possible.

Do a business plan...figure out how much you will have to feed them and take care of them and how much it will take to buy them. Just get good looking cows and sounds like your bull is already taken care of. If you are selling them as bred cows I would say your EPD's are less important because you arent screwin with the calves you just wanna buy em right breed em and sell em and gain a few bucks. You might beable to make 50 bucks a head It just depends what a bred cow is worth verse just a cow. And if its worth hauling them. Just figure up all you expenses and see what they look like verse you estimated profit...when i do it i like to leave myself around an extra ten bucks a head to cover any unforseen disasters that may come up...hope that helps...pry more than whether to get a limi or angus

LimiMan":72unhvk8 said:
la4angus":72unhvk8 said:
LimiMan":72unhvk8 said:
I am not saying that it cant be done,.
Then retract your statement about me dreaming
I am not even talking to you,you need to catch up or go to another thread.
First statement was to caustic
second statement was to the hereford guy.
Why did you quote me then. You are sort of a smart ass hu. You could go to another board without making many people on here mad.

Since you are wanting to sell bred heifers and not calve them out yourself, I would suggest 2 things.
1. Breed to something with calving ease that EVERYONE in your area is familiar with.

2. Breed to the most popular breed in your area.

You are wanting to make the most money selling bred heifers. You need to make it so easy that EVERYONE will want them. The more people bidding, the more money they will bring.

All right, my opinion, for what ever that is worth. You want to know if you can make a profit at it, right? What are you risking up front? Your buying heifer calves at what seems to be considered the peak of the current cattle cycle, and selling bred heifers almost a year later? Why risk it?

A sale on superior this week had a guy sell his 100 open heifer replacements for $950/head. Best quality they had at the sale. Now another guy sold the best quality bred heifers at the sale (350 and same kind) for around a $1300 avergae. Can you justify keeping the heifer back and breeding her for $350/head, minus bull, feed, pasture, AI, vet, labor, open rate, etc., while keeping in mind that there is a strong likelyhood the market will get cheaper, cutting into that $350. I think you are at the wrong end of the cattle cycle regardless of breed. just my $.02

Good luck either way.

Personally, and no offense to Limo fans, I would shy away from breeding Herf heifers to a Limo bull (same as I'd be darn leery about buying any Britisher heifer bred Continental...can be costly in the C-section department).

Although I'm fairly laid back about cattle crosses, most black baldy calves do seem to bring a decent dollar, both as feeders for the steers and potential cows for the heifers, so for what it's worth, I'd throw a easy-calving, long-bodied black angus bull in with those heifers....as long as he had a decent weaning weight w/out creep - that is.

Take care and have fun with whichever path you travel.

ps. With either the angus or limousin cross, make sure you've got the calves branded and tagged before they get too big, 'cause they're definately lively at 100lbs, and don't tend to become more docile at 300lbs. ;-)

You gotta spend a lota dough to find a Angus that has a small birth weight, but that can still deliver the goods at weaning time.... Not saying their not their. You can spend half as much money for a Limi with a small birth weight THAT can deliver the goods at weaning...... Poor weaning weights by English bulls are what gave the European breeds a chance here in the states to begin with

I'm with J.T. - why wait to breed them so long? I would sync them and breed at 14 -15 mts so that you have a uniform group to sell. You would make more money on a group that are all bred about the same instead of spread out. That way you will have heifers bred 6-7 mts by the time their 22 mts old. Also I see no problem breeding herfords to a blk limo bull. I did it. I had a blk limo on my hereford herd (heifers included) until he got crippled and I had to sell him. He was dog gentle. All the calves were super and also dog gentle. I've kept a few of his daughters to which I will be breeding to a hereford bull in the next month or two. He was 5 yrs old when I got him, so it wasn't that he was a yearling bull either. Just my 2 cents, To each their own.

dph":2n05603f said:
Can you justify keeping the heifer back and breeding her for $350/head, minus bull, feed, pasture, AI, vet, labor, open rate, etc., while keeping in mind that there is a strong likelyhood the market will get cheaper, cutting into that $350. I think you are at the wrong end of the cattle cycle regardless of breed. just my $.02
dph, you are dead on right. That $350.00 could shrink to minus $350.00 real easy.

la4

Caustic Burno":2x4npmra said:
Why use a black limi as you are getting watered down Angus genetics anyway. I wouldn't cross a a Limi with a red cur dog.

The Limousin Genetics we have sure aint watered down angus, I got some angus and the limi calves beat the angus calves any every dept. In fact I have never seen a angus calf grow worth a tinkers doodle if you want my opinion. lets tell the truth , we all have seen those dumpy angus calves that weight 300 lb at 5 months and weight 350 at 9 months and never make a decent yearling.The sale barn is full of them every thur.but since they are black , they bring top dollar.let a black limi calf go in the ring and you can see the difference from the top row.No comparison on muscle and thickness.

bgm":25gzwr9a said:
Limi's will get you there the fastest.

Where? To the hospital? Never seen one that wasn't at least half crazy, certainly not cattle for beginners.

I just had one of our limi bulls up at the stud in VA and he said he was one of the best handling bulls he had ever handled. I asked him about bull docility ,and he said angus was as wild as any breed he had has up there. So dont preach that crap that limis are wild to the ones that dont know better and try push angus down thier throat.

i've been around literally 1000's of bulls up close and personal and those limis arent to user friendly but the angus sure have some hot headed little fire crackers themselves. Salers are cranky critters to. If i was going to choose a breed that is the calmest overall i would say Red angus or herefords and still i've met a few ornery ones of those. The dairy bulls are by far the meanest Stein and Jersey. When breeding to heifers i would suggest a low BW Red angus myself, but if you have a low bw limi bull handy that you can use for free it would make sense to use him or AI then clean up with him. It would be a waste to go buy a bull just to breed a few heifers to.

Latest posts