Model A

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
what kind of fuel do you need to run in a Model A pickup? Seems like they'll run on anything, maybe even pee if you drank enough beer. I'm just curious if the 87 octane crap with ethanol will screw it up and will I need to run a lead substitue additive.

dun":1n7uu569 said:
what kind of fuel do you need to run in a Model A pickup? Seems like they'll run on anything, maybe even pee if you drank enough beer. I'm just curious if the 87 octane crap with ethanol will screw it up and will I need to run a lead substitue additive.

I don't know if it is the same but we use only non ethanol fuel in the old pulling tractors. I have been told that the ethanol cleans out the system and it all goes through the carb.

kenny thomas":m3mxky7i said:
dun":m3mxky7i said:

I don't know if it is the same but we use only non ethanol fuel in the old pulling tractors. I have been told that the ethanol cleans out the system and it all goes through the carb.
That;s what I was concerned about. Maybe I'll just run it on kerosene

Ouachita":3hrhdly6 said:
Find your local airport and buy Avgas. Still has lead, and it last forever
Thanks, we've got a piddly little private airplane airport in town.

Ouachita":2do2aa8n said:
Find your local airport and buy Avgas. Still has lead, and it last forever

Very good idea. The guys here that have spent a lot on their tractor engines use it to help protect them and it gives more power it seems.

What year model A do you have?
I have a Model A 1928 Business Coupe I run the 87 octane gas in with no problems. I've been driving it for over 15 years since I restored it and no problems at all with the ethanol fuel. I used to run the lead substitute in it but that became a hastle and after doing some research it's not really needed. The only problem with Model A carbs is that the Zenith carbs have a tendancy to dump all your gas on the ground when parked. The gravety fed system over powers the needle and seat and if you forget to shut your fuel off when parked, your left with a nice puddle of gas underneath. Nothing to do with the ethonal, just the nature of the beast.

My dad also runs with no problems a 1926 Chevy with not lead sub added and 87 octane from the local gas stations and they all have the ethonal added. The gasoline today all has some kind of lubricant added.

rla442":3ice3xvw said:
What year model A do you have?
I have a Model A 1928 Business Coupe I run the 87 octane gas in with no problems. I've been driving it for over 15 years since I restored it and no problems at all with the ethanol fuel. I used to run the lead substitute in it but that became a hastle and after doing some research it's not really needed. The only problem with Model A carbs is that the Zenith carbs have a tendancy to dump all your gas on the ground when parked. The gravety fed system over powers the needle and seat and if you forget to shut your fuel off when parked, your left with a nice puddle of gas underneath. Nothing to do with the ethonal, just the nature of the beast.

My dad also runs with no problems a 1926 Chevy with not lead sub added and 87 octane from the local gas stations and they all have the ethonal added. The gasoline today all has some kind of lubricant added.
1929 pickup

Latest posts