Moby Dick of hogs and a invention

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2idlvz33 said:
I killed a bar hog years ago that was big. Hanging weight was 214lbs. Here's a picture of a sow that I killed in Georgia that was a nice one also.

These hogs today are not as big as the free range ones that ran the woods for years.
They are big headed and shoulders from Russian influence.
They can't compare to the old Berkshires, Durocs and Chester Whites and there crosses. Had to mark your hogs every year until they closed the range in 66

The one I killed in FL was a wild hog. He was a dog killer because he didn't have any ears left. We caught and cut him 5 years previous to when I shot him. I know you know that a hog travels a long ways CB. But this one was over 10 miles from where I caught him when I killed him.

Caustic Burno":2xc6f58h said:
True Grit Farms":2xc6f58h said:
I killed a bar hog years ago that was big. Hanging weight was 214lbs. Here's a picture of a sow that I killed in Georgia that was a nice one also.

These hogs today are not as big as the free range ones that ran the woods for years.
They are big headed and shoulders from Russian influence.
They can't compare to the old Berkshires, Durocs and Chester Whites and there crosses. Had to mark your hogs every year until they closed the range in 66

You had to be dang careful how you drove at night back in those days. Hogs and cattle both were everywhere then. The main road between here and Liberty County line going into Cleveland had a cattleguard on it--it didn't help much. :D

True Grit Farms":2ukzqj6c said:
The one I killed in FL was a wild hog. He was a dog killer because he didn't have any ears left. We caught and cut him 5 years previous to when I shot him. I know you know that a hog travels a long ways CB. But this one was over 10 miles from where I caught him when I killed him.

Those hogs were just as wild and mean as today's . They had a different strategy for dealing with the stock dogs. As you said they travel a long ways some of those bar hogs were monsters. When we marked the pigs we cut them as well,mark is still registered in the court house like all the old time families.

GB I seen a Buick Electraglide hit one
flipped it over on its top, that was one big hog. Do you remember how big those cars were?

True Grit Farms":2d47mthx said:

Those hogs were just as wild and mean as today's . They had a different strategy for dealing with the stock dogs. As you said they travel a long ways some of those bar hogs were monsters. When we marked the pigs we cut them as well,mark is still registered in the court house like all the old time families.

GB I seen a Buick Electraglide hit one
flipped it over on its top, that was one big hog. Do you remember how big those cars were?

We've been out several evenings this week and one morning, no luck. In fact there has been no hog activity on that whole place. Went out last night to fill our pig pipe and couldnt get the end off. Brought it home and we'll get it out tonight.

Oh, and its babysitting day and i had all the grandkids over ALL day... SIL who is the knife maker just stopped by to grab his 2 kids. I showed him a drawing of my idea and the shape of the blade. I think he's finally understanding what i'm trying to make. I understand when someone who has hand strength has a hard time understanding not having it..Someone who has no problems grabbing and holding onto things, does not have to go through someone doing the same things who cant. We find interesting ways to get the same job done...SO, tomorrow i'm going to work on the handle. I think it may be smarter to make the handle and then the knife to fit it. If this makes sense...

Latest posts