Moby Dick of hogs and a invention

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
If we get him tonight i'll for sure post pictures. Spotted him the other night but never got in range to shoot. While stalking him, husband spotted another right at sunset. I was in his way so i ducked down next to a hay bale, this is in the field we're cutting hay. He shot it and injured it. I got really nervous that he'd come my way pissed and i wouldnt know until he got close...Luckily husband was able to get another shot at it.
Here in a bit we're going to go out and sit....
Oh and i'm working on a knives for field dressing hogs. One of our sons in laws makes knives so i'm working with him. Its a set of knives that you do not have to use your hands. Have arthritis, these are going to work for you, have gimpy fingers or have a hard time grasping, these will be for you.... I unfortunately have both and i have girl hands. I've helped with cleaning hogs and my hands just give out or are not strong enough to do some task....And most times we get a hog its late, husband always says, Ugh, i dont want to hang, gut and dismember a pig tonight....and i'm like UGH, i want pork!

I just leave them for the buzzards and worms. If I want pork I'll go buy it. I'll have people say I'm wasteful, but we killed a little over 200 last year and I don't have the time to jack with them.

NolanCountyAG":2azkems9 said:
I just leave them for the buzzards and worms. If I want pork I'll go buy it. I'll have people say I'm wasteful, but we killed a little over 200 last year and I don't have the time to jack with them.
Thats the same here....But, after 30 years of having these pasture fleas around and many times spending time on one that taste gamy or just leaving it because who has time, i've finally figured out how to do it.
With my invention, i'll quickly take what i want. One quarter, 2, 3, 4, all done where its shot. No gutting, no having to load it onto a truck, no need in dragging it out of the woods.
I get it home, and once cleaned, in the electric smoker it goes. I'll leave it in there for up to 24 hours, that gives me time to clear my kitchen and get my canning things out and into canning mode. Once smoked and fall off the bone done, i pack it into pint jars (makes a meal for 2) add buffalo sauced apple juice and process. Usually i'm not into doing a whole pig if i'm canning it. Doing it this way any gamy taste is gone. All your left with is instant pull pork.
I see so many hogs while checking cows, i'd love to be able to do it all myself. Once they are over 50 pounds, i cant lift them without help. I''ve helped hang and clean one, but my hands give out. Its just too much work.......
Did not see Moby Dick.. Went out before sunup too and nothing. UGH...Actually, i dont care to eat Moby Dick, we just want to kill him. At 500 yards husband said he was quite the boar so i imagine he'd be really really gamy..

the cost of a bullet is too much to waste on them bastiardssssssssssssss. shoot em and leave em or drag em off.. I hate em and wont eat any of that devil meat...nasty..even on a good day

dieselbeef":3lbmcedq said:
the cost of a bullet is too much to waste on them bastiardssssssssssssss. shoot em and leave em or drag em off.. I hate em and wont eat any of that devil meat...nasty..even on a good day
Thats what i use to say.....but at the end of a working day and standing in my kitchen thinking of what to cook, it sure is nice to open a jar of pull pork.......I think someone released some meat pigs to mix with them, they seem to be getting bigger and bigger. When we were stalking Moby Dick, another came up behind us...scampering along like he had no care in the world....haha..It was not an instand kill so since it was dark we did not go look for him. But he died just on the other side of some trees we last saw him. And you know, its just been 2 days and there is not a trace of him left...He looked to be around 300 pounds, but was smaller than Moby..

NolanCountyAG":2szoc7hl said:
Yup.

Moby is bigger than this one. This pictured one surprised us. Never would i even have considered eating one this big, but once we got him here we found he was very young. He sat in the field over night so he was not good to eat anymore. The son in law who makes knives wanted to use it as a target to see how his knives penetrated. He's a knife thrower. Husband kept telling him his knives would bounce off a hog this size.......and, father in law was right.

cowgirl8":33hph8l3 said:

Moby is bigger than this one. This pictured one surprised us. Never would i even have considered eating one this big, but once we got him here we found he was very young. He sat in the field over night so he was not good to eat anymore. The son in law who makes knives wanted to use it as a target to see how his knives penetrated. He's a knife thrower. Husband kept telling him his knives would bounce off a hog this size.......and, father in law was right.

You need to contact Dr Billy Higginbotham with the state as he is over the eradication program.
I know he would be interested in the beast.
Feral over 325 lbs is very rare I wouldn't believe it as anything other than another photo shopped internet bs unless confirmed by the state.

Caustic Burno":18tpe8dq said:
cowgirl8":18tpe8dq said:

You need to contact Dr Billy Higginbotham with the state as he is over the eradication program.
Feral over 325 lbs is very rare I wouldn't believe it as anything other than another photo shopped internet bs unless confirmed by the state.
dont you live in a very different Terrain cb? Seems to me that maybe the ferals where cowgirl lives get bigger then where you live

But i dont know much about feral hogs!

Well, its pretty typical out here. They get huge. But, if we get Moby, just so you'll believe i'll report it. And for the record, i did not photo shopped.. That bastard was BIG...I"m guessing pictured hog is around 300...I think sometimes people exaggerate how big their hog was because even a 200 pounder seems big..Just compare it to the tractor holding it up

Caustic Burno":34bh9bo3 said:
cowgirl8":34bh9bo3 said:

Tamu is a great resource. But on the wildlife / fisheries side they are to much in bed with the tpwd mad scientist. I wouldn't report shyt to them.

Caustic Burno":1j9yowxf said:
cowgirl8":1j9yowxf said:

Hogs over #325 are not that uncommon. Go to any NV or Dog forum and you can see quite a few of them. Go to a hog hunting contest and you can see them in real life.

I've killed probably 10 or so in my life that would go over #325. #405 was the largest confirmed weight I have killed.

I agree with a CG8. Even a #150 pig looks like a beast so people tend to think they are larger than they are. Once you see a pig that is #300+ ... the thickness of the quarters... the diameter of their legs.. the weight of their heads alone... you can spot a #150 a mile away.

Brute 23":1gumpqt1 said:
Caustic Burno":1gumpqt1 said:
cowgirl8":1gumpqt1 said:

Hogs over #325 are not that uncommon. Go to any NV or Dog forum and you can see quite a few of them. Go to a hog hunting contest and you can see them in real life.

I've killed probably 10 or so in my life that would go over #325. #405 was the largest confirmed weight I have killed.

I agree with a CG8. Even a #150 pig looks like a beast so people tend to think they are larger than they are. Once you see a pig that is #300+ ... the thickness of the quarters... the diameter of their legs.. the weight of their heads alone... you can spot a #150 a mile away.

Like I said they are rare and everything else is the boogie man most of those hogs over 300 pounds never seen a scale.

You know when you have one of these monsters around, they dig craters a 4 wheeler fits in....and not just one, they'll have several acres trashed over night...Moby is doing that in our hay fields, the reason we're after him....

I killed a bar hog years ago that was big. Hanging weight was 214lbs. Here's a picture of a sow that I killed in Georgia that was a nice one also.

Latest posts