Missouri cougar

Help Support CattleToday:

We have that same problem with mountain lions in Arkansas (are they the same as cougars?). If you report seeing one, they don't exist here, so I guess we're seeing mirages. One of our neighbors a few years ago had a bear that was eating his calves - wildlife folks said bears don't eat meat. They wanted to set a trap for the bear, and transport it to release it elsewhere. They were not happy when the neighbor shot it with the evidence in hand, they were even more unhappy to find out that this guy let all the rest of the neighbors view it first before calling them.

kimw":1mgf4cg8 said:
We have that same problem with mountain lions in Arkansas (are they the same as cougars?). If you report seeing one, they don't exist here, so I guess we're seeing mirages. One of our neighbors a few years ago had a bear that was eating his calves - wildlife folks said bears don't eat meat. They wanted to set a trap for the bear, and transport it to release it elsewhere. They were not happy when the neighbor shot it with the evidence in hand, they were even more unhappy to find out that this guy let all the rest of the neighbors view it first before calling them.

I think I really like your neighbor.

I have a friend who almost shot the division of wildlife animated decoy that they were using to try to get folks to shoot from the road. He fooled them and stalked it from a legal position and made sure they saw him before he shot. They almost lost their minds. His only reply was what did I do wrong? They had no answer.

:lol:
3waycross":1va5a95r said:
kimw":1va5a95r said:

I think I really like your neighbor.

I have a friend who almost shot the division of wildlife animated decoy that they were using to try to get folks to shoot from the road. He fooled them and stalked it from a legal position and made sure they saw him before he shot. They almost lost their minds. His only reply was what did I do wrong? They had no answer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MO_cows":25oapb90 said:
msscamp":25oapb90 said:
MO_cows":25oapb90 said:

I guess I'm missing the point. A cougar wanders through my place on a fairly regular basis, and he/she has yet to bother any livestock - or anything else, for that matter. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings so you don't startle him/her.

The point is, up until this I believed cougars were not in residence here. I'm not scared to go outside now; it's just somewhat of a shock to the system to think for my whole life that the top predator around here was a coyote and then find out a cougar attacked cattle just a few miles away.

Yes, I know exactly what that feels like. I live less than 5 miles from town, so you can imagine my shock and surprise the day I walked outside at about 2 in the afternoon to find a mountain lion sitting in the driveway by the corner of the shop. I got over it, and you will too - it just takes a little time. :lol: No, I'm not making fun of you, nor am I making light of your situation in any way. I've found mountain lion tracks right behind my house, I've found him in my dog pen, and I've found tracks in the snow after traipsing back and forth checking calving heifers all night. You'll get used to it. The trick to living with a mountain lion is to make sure that you're always aware of your surroundings so you don't startle him/her. They don't usually attack people, and are normally quite shy unless cornered.

3waycross":2oqwzfka said:
msscamp":2oqwzfka said:
MO_cows":2oqwzfka said:

I guess I'm missing the point. A cougar wanders through my place on a fairly regular basis, and he/she has yet to bother any livestock - or anything else, for that matter. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings so you don't startle him/her.

Well look who crawled out of the woodwork. Nice to see you back! As usual, good post!

Thank you! :heart: Been a little busy. How's life treating you? Good, I hope. Interesting winter so far, don't you think?

What always amazes me here is how many people see a panther. I am over 6000 acres leased for hunting every year these city boys see a pile of them. Every one of them is toting a rifle and a camera and can never get a shot at one. Now these same boys can nail a possum at a 100 yards but can never get a shot at one of these cats. They tell me about the cats and tell them how amazed there are so many and they are only here in deer season. Now do I think there are a few in the big thicket you bet just not one behind every tree.
The hunting territory for one cat is like a 100 square miles.

Caustic Burno":hfcn42al said:
What always amazes me here is how many people see a panther. I am over 6000 acres leased for hunting every year these city boys see a pile of them. Every one of them is toting a rifle and a camera and can never get a shot at one. Now these same boys can nail a possum at a 100 yards but can never get a shot at one of these cats. They tell me about the cats and tell them how amazed there are so many and they are only here in deer season. Now do I think there are a few in the big thicket you bet just not one behind every tree.
The hunting territory for one cat is like a 100 square miles.
Sounds more impressive to say they saw one and didn;t get a shot then it is to show you the squirrel they shot that they thought was a mtn lion

We have em in Washington County, Mo, upper Ozarks, Mark Twain NF. I haven't seen one for several years but do hear of sightings. My Dad always said that they pass through coming out of Arkansas heading north.

Several years ago my nephew was "putting some turkeys to roost" one spring season. He was in sitting down full camo, calling and listening for the last gobbles of the day when he heard "something" behind him. This something got closer and closer until he finally turned around to see what it was. It was a Panther (thats what we call em) sneaking up on him. The panther was coming into the hen turkey sounds. Apparently the panther and my nephew saw each other at the same time. If you remember the old Cougar (Ford) commercials when the cat would roar, that is what it did at about 30 to 40 feet. If you know anything about spring turkey hunting in MO, you probably already figured out that he was un-armed due to regulations. If you get caught with a shot gun after hunting hrs in the spring (you can hunt turkeys until 1:00) your are pretty much considered guilty of attempt.

He said that as he ran back to his truck he could feel the cat climbing up his back with every step. By the time he got to his truck he dove through the open window and "cried like a baby". His words, not mine. Turned out the cat went the other way. BTW he was only 16 yrs old at the time. To this day he won't go to the woods without a firearm.

BTW, we have bears and hogs now! Haven't seen one yet but I am pretty much always a 45 ACP when I am on the farm.

:nod:

MosesR":39gdgvey said:
We have em in Washington County, Mo, upper Ozarks, Mark Twain NF. I haven't seen one for several years but do hear of sightings. My Dad always said that they pass through coming out of Arkansas heading north.

Several years ago my nephew was "putting some turkeys to roost" one spring season. He was in sitting down full camo, calling and listening for the last gobbles of the day when he heard "something" behind him. This something got closer and closer until he finally turned around to see what it was. It was a Panther (thats what we call em) sneaking up on him. The panther was coming into the hen turkey sounds. Apparently the panther and my nephew saw each other at the same time. If you remember the old Cougar (Ford) commercials when the cat would roar, that is what it did at about 30 to 40 feet. If you know anything about spring turkey hunting in MO, you probably already figured out that he was un-armed due to regulations. If you get caught with a shot gun after hunting hrs in the spring (you can hunt turkeys until 1:00) your are pretty much considered guilty of attempt.

He said that as he ran back to his truck he could feel the cat climbing up his back with every step. By the time he got to his truck he dove through the open window and "cried like a baby". His words, not mine. Turned out the cat went the other way. BTW he was only 16 yrs old at the time. To this day he won't go to the woods without a firearm.

BTW, we have bears and hogs now! Haven't seen one yet but I am pretty much always a 45 ACP when I am on the farm.

Yeah, I can absolutely relate to the 'crying like a baby". I was about 19 the day I took a green-broke horse out to check the water. As I came around the bend from the Little Steel Tower pasture heading towards the North of the Ridge pasture, my horse stopped and was focused on a chalk rock hill with a ledge facing towards the west. I followed her line of sight and noticed a shadow that I had never seen before on that particular outcropping. I reflected on it for a minute, dismissed it, and nudged her forward again. About 20 yards later, she stopped again. The shadow was gone. I'm a little freaked out at this point, but I nudge her forward again and we continue on our way. About 1/4 of a mile later, we have made the turn up the hill and she comes to a dead stop and is looking towards the south. Again, I follow her line of sight and I see a head and cat ears rising above a fallen tree. I'm totally freaking now. I'm on a horse, roughly 10 miles from home, and I'm looking at a mountain lion approximately 5 feet away. I have no idea what to do, but I know not to spin her around and run. I finally decide to ease her around, and calmly walk back down the hill - looking over my shoulder about every other step. We took the short cut, and once we were over the hill I slapped spurs to her and we flew home! It took Dad a good 20 minutes to get me calmed down enough to get the full story, the water was checked with the pick-up on that particular day, and no one needed to be moved.

Puma/panther can't roar. They can squall like a big tomcat,and they can purr,but they can't roar like a lion. Don't care what the ads on tv say.

msscamp":3k9nmy32 said:
MosesR":3k9nmy32 said:

Yeah, I can absolutely relate to the 'crying like a baby". I was about 19 the day I took a green-broke horse out to check the water. As I came around the bend from the Little Steel Tower pasture heading towards the North of the Ridge pasture, my horse stopped and was focused on a chalk rock hill with a ledge facing towards the west. I followed her line of sight and noticed a shadow that I had never seen before on that particular outcropping. I reflected on it for a minute, dismissed it, and nudged her forward again. About 20 yards later, she stopped again. The shadow was gone. I'm a little freaked out at this point, but I nudge her forward again and we continue on our way. About 1/4 of a mile later, we have made the turn up the hill and she comes to a dead stop and is looking towards the south. Again, I follow her line of sight and I see a head and cat ears rising above a fallen tree. I'm totally freaking now. I'm on a horse, roughly 10 miles from home, and I'm looking at a mountain lion approximately 5 feet away. I have no idea what to do, but I know not to spin her around and run. I finally decide to ease her around, and calmly walk back down the hill - looking over my shoulder about every other step. We took the short cut, and once we were over the hill I slapped spurs to her and we flew home! It took Dad a good 20 minutes to get me calmed down enough to get the full story, the water was checked with the pick-up on that particular day, and no one needed to be moved.
You must have been on a darn good mount, five feet from a big cat.

The story of the Missouri Mountain Lion being shot has changed. As I hear it, it has been discovered that the animal was not disturbing cattle after all and was actually shot the night before by a coon hunter whose dogs treed the cat.

Back in the late 70's I had a room mate who cruised timber for the forest service. One day while driving out of the hills a herd of elk ran across the road in front of him. He got out of the pickup and was looking over the bank at the elk as they headed down the hill. When he turned to walk back to the truck there sat a cougar in the middle of the road right behind him. Ears pinned back and its tail flipping from side to side. He slowly edged his way toward the pickup. When he got to it he was on the passenger side. The door on that side was locked. The keys were in the igition and the motor was running but the cat was on the driver's side of the truck. He slowly went around the back of the truck and eased up the driver side. He said that when his hand finally reached the door handle it took him less than a second to be inside with the door shut. When he got home about two hours later he was beginning to get a little color back and is shakes were slowing down.

Latest posts