Missouri cougar

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Yikes! This isn't very far from our place.
http://www.kmzu.com/2011/01/mountain-li ... ay-county/

About 3 years ago, a cougar was hit by a car on I-35/I-29 just north of Armour Rd (in Clay county); a very developed and populated area but with a few pockets of remaining woods and a lot of deer. And only about 2 miles from the Missouri River. About a month ago, someone got a photo of a cougar in Platte county, also near the Missouri River. The river, with miles and miles of wooded banks between the levees, is probably the highway for these big cats to travel into Missouri.

I've heard stories of the cougars in Mo for the last 10 yrs, and the consensus has always been that Conservation is trying to cover it uop and keep it hush hush. That they have reintroduced the cougars but don't want to publicly own it yet. Sounds like they aren't gonna have much of a choice here soon

The Mark Twain national forest in reynolds county is acres and acres of forest and when I was a kid and lived there it was not unusual to see a cougar.Then they were called panther's.Some of the ozark realitives of mine still call them that.

Cal

We get them around here once and a while, they usually don't bother the livestock. 7 years ago, I thought one of my calves got out so I went through the very tall hay field trying to round it up UNTIL it jumped the fence and kept running. It was right at dusk so it was kind of hard to see ,maybe that is a good thing as the next day I got a call from the neighbor that a cougar was spotted in the area .. The calf I thought I was bringing back was in the other pasture all along.

Dr U got to take one down last winter out west. The cat was huge, he had it mounted and it looks really great . I will post a pic if I can manage to get it off my phone..

hooknline":215i8rux said:
I've heard stories of the cougars in Mo for the last 10 yrs, and the consensus has always been that Conservation is trying to cover it uop and keep it hush hush. That they have reintroduced the cougars but don't want to publicly own it yet. Sounds like they aren't gonna have much of a choice here soon

I don't think there is any conspiracy going on with the conservation dept. Somebody has to document a female with cubs before they can come out and say we have a population.

MO_cows":123h6mzw said:

I guess I'm missing the point. A cougar wanders through my place on a fairly regular basis, and he/she has yet to bother any livestock - or anything else, for that matter. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings so you don't startle him/her.

msscamp":2w5fyp7j said:
MO_cows":2w5fyp7j said:

I guess I'm missing the point. A cougar wanders through my place on a fairly regular basis, and he/she has yet to bother any livestock - or anything else, for that matter. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings so you don't startle him/her.

Well look who crawled out of the woodwork. Nice to see you back! As usual, good post!

msscamp":3qviji8c said:
MO_cows":3qviji8c said:

Hey You !!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Belated Birthday Msscamp :bday:

I normally would agree , but I thought in the article that there had been calf and cow related kills do to the cougars. We had them around more often when we dairied out west, none even came close to our livestock but then a dairy operation is lit up at all times and something is always running causing noise. However some cattlemen/ranchers would lose a few head each year to a kill by a cougar. Although not as many as they lost do to coyotes .

3waycross":3ifraeev said:
msscamp":3ifraeev said:
MO_cows":3ifraeev said:

Well look who crawled out of the woodwork. Nice to see you back! As usual, good post!

Ah give her a break, she just had a B-day and she's still a youngster.... She's basically 4 months younger me. All of you who knows me know I'm still a young stud... I'm just a little fatter, balder and.... and.... I can't remember the other thing :D .

Alan

msscamp":iynn75j4 said:
MO_cows":iynn75j4 said:

The point is, up until this I believed cougars were not in residence here. I'm not scared to go outside now; it's just somewhat of a shock to the system to think for my whole life that the top predator around here was a coyote and then find out a cougar attacked cattle just a few miles away.

MO_cows":25xgwlvi said:
msscamp":25xgwlvi said:
MO_cows":25xgwlvi said:

The point is, up until this I believed cougars were not in residence here. I'm not scared to go outside now; it's just somewhat of a shock to the system to think for my whole life that the top predator around here was a coyote and then find out a cougar attacked cattle just a few miles away.

MO west of Sundre (Alberta) they sometimes have huge problems with cougars so they do organized kills. When one is spotted they call a guide her trees it with their dogs and the guide calls the folks on the list you need to haul @ss as soon as you are called because if you cannot go your name goes to the bottom of the list. These guys pay thousands of dollars for the kill and they get to keep the cougar to mount etc. They show up ,the guide brings them to the treed cougar and usually in one shot the cougar falls from the tree, dead. Some say this is cruel but I know quite a few ranchers that have lost cows and horses from being torn to shreds from a lrg cougar.

MO_cows":1d4gankw said:
hooknline":1d4gankw said:

I don't think there is any conspiracy going on with the conservation dept. Somebody has to document a female with cubs before they can come out and say we have a population.
I am with you on No conspiracy Mo
One was killed by a car in southern Mo a few yrs ago and they have always been around just not out where you can see them
they are getting seen more frequently now because of all the hunters using game cameras
Where I was raised about 30 miles east of springfield we have always had a couple of them sure can scare the pee out of ya when coon hunting and one lets out a scream :lol: :lol: :lol:

We reported one in Morgan county to conservation and were told that there weren't any cougars in Mo.

hooknline":3eqdvl40 said:
We reported one in Morgan county to conservation and were told that there weren't any cougars in Mo.
some one was just blowing smoke up your a$$ as they have been here all my life
The D.O.C. usually just ignores reports unless you have documentation that you really seen one (pic)because they get so many that are false

we believe we have one here and the game warden does also because my trapper found tracks and the month before I lost a couple week old calves and we never found a trace of them
and that is typical of a cat to drag them off and hide them

I'm on the Southern MN border, and there have been cougar sightings here. We even had some friends in MN who were coon hunting and saw a cougar and tried to shoot it. But conservation still says we have no cougars.

I can't understand why they had to kill it. They are here, I saw a big cat crossing a ditch on my way home from town one night, I know it was a big cat, as I saw its face and the eyes. There have been reportings all over, close by-I would love to see one in the wild-just doing what they do.

GMN

About 9 months ago I was riding my 4 wheeler with my daughter. Looked over in the woods and see what looks like a bob cat flashing full speed thru the trees. I hammered on the throttle and was about 50 yards away when it leaped from the woods and cleared the fence. Biggest dam cat I ever seen with a long tail. I was stunned! I try not to tell anyone cause they might try to send me to the loony Bin.

Latest posts