Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":cq5c83ly said:
Dave":cq5c83ly said:
JMJ Farms":cq5c83ly said:
Would rather shoot one of my Glock 21 45s. But they are so dang big to carry. If I was in bear country I think I'd take both 21s, my 40 and my 1911. And possibly my beretta 9mm and ruger 380 (as GB said, for me if the rest didn't get rid of the bears) :bang:

Having worked in big bear country and had a couple run ins with bears. I don't want a pistol of any kind if it comes time to shoot or get ate. I consider a 375 H&H the smallest thing I want. And I know a number of Alaskan big game guides. They don't pack pistols.
I agree with you Dave, I think I'd like a 12 ga shotgun with a slug followed by buckshot if I had a choice.

I worked with a guy on Afognak Island (next island North of Kodiak) who had lived on the island his whole adult life. He said he had shot 3 bears which he had to shoot. All with a 12 ga. All at a range of about 10-15 feet. He said it is a little hard on the nerves to wait until they are that close.

Dave":2f88a7k0 said:
True Grit Farms":2f88a7k0 said:
Dave":2f88a7k0 said:
Having worked in big bear country and had a couple run ins with bears. I don't want a pistol of any kind if it comes time to shoot or get ate. I consider a 375 H&H the smallest thing I want. And I know a number of Alaskan big game guides. They don't pack pistols.
I agree with you Dave, I think I'd like a 12 ga shotgun with a slug followed by buckshot if I had a choice.

I worked with a guy on Afognak Island (next island North of Kodiak) who had lived on the island his whole adult life. He said he had shot 3 bears which he had to shoot. All with a 12 ga. All at a range of about 10-15 feet. He said it is a little hard on the nerves to wait until they are that close.
I couldn't imagine, a 100 yards was to close for me. Whenever a bear walked our way I walked towards our fishing guide. Next time I go to Alaska fishing I'm sending a pistol to Wild West guns and picking it up before I go fishing. I felt totally helpless with nothing but rocks and gravel to throw.

Dave":3uik70p1 said:
True Grit Farms":3uik70p1 said:
Dave":3uik70p1 said:

Know a guy that was an avid archer and was bow hunting grizzly or brown bear, can't remember which. He used to be a surgeon here but I think he moved. Anyway the bear was almost in now range and the wind changed. The bear winded them and charged the hunter and his PH, or guide. The PH froze and the hunter had to take the shotgun away from him and kill the bear. It was a big mess but it ended safely. To each his own, but imo that's asking for trouble!

JMJ Farms":2ve2k9uq said:
Dave":2ve2k9uq said:
True Grit Farms":2ve2k9uq said:

Know a guy that was an avid archer and was bow hunting grizzly or brown bear, can't remember which. He used to be a surgeon here but I think he moved. Anyway the bear was almost in now range and the wind changed. The bear winded them and charged the hunter and his PH, or guide. The PH froze and the hunter had to take the shotgun away from him and kill the bear. It was a big mess but it ended safely. To each his own, but imo that's asking for trouble!
That's not bow hunting, it's supposed to be primitive weapons. He was almost one with nature, like in a pile of bear poop.

JMJ Farms":1geva4uh said:
True Grit Farms":1geva4uh said:
Dave":1geva4uh said:
A few years back there was a young gal working for US Geological Survey in Alaska. She was eaten alive by a black bear. She radioed for help and was pleading her case as the bear was eating her.
Having worked in Alaska in big bear country I ain't packing no Glock 40. When able to I packed a little Sako 375 H&H or a 12 ga. When work didn't allow for packing a long gun I had a S&W Model 29 which is 44 mag with hand loads loaded as hot as we could make them...... and I felt under gunned.
You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

Would rather shoot one of my Glock 21 45s. But they are so dang big to carry. If I was in bear country I think I'd take both 21s, my 40 and my 1911. And possibly my beretta 9mm and ruger 380 (as GB said, for me if the rest didn't get rid of the bears) :bang:
I am no bear xpert but can't help but wonder how you could get a bear to stand there and wait for you to pull and shoot all those guns at him? :dunce: :???:

Ryder":uziemgvm said:
JMJ Farms":uziemgvm said:
True Grit Farms":uziemgvm said:
You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

I am no bear xpert but can't help but wonder how you could get a bear to stand there and wait for you to pull and shoot all those guns at him? :dunce: :???:

He don't necessarily have to stand there Ryder. I ain't got no issue with shooting at him while he's running. Or while I'm running. Or any other combination that might possibly occur :lol2:

JMJ Farms":10t10zcc said:
Ryder":10t10zcc said:
JMJ Farms":10t10zcc said:

He don't necessarily have to stand there Ryder. I ain't got no issue with shooting at him while he's running. Or while I'm running. Or any other combination that might possibly occur :lol2:

The trouble comes when he is running toward you. You just have a couple seconds to react and you had better not run. At that point the biggest gun they make isn't nearly big enough.

Dave":eofcvdf4 said:
JMJ Farms":eofcvdf4 said:
Ryder":eofcvdf4 said:

The trouble comes when he is running toward you. You just have a couple seconds to react and you had better not run. At that point the biggest gun they make isn't nearly big enough.

Yeah I agree Dave. I was just cutting up. I have no intentions of placing myself in a situation involving a bear, although one never knows. We only have black bears here in Ga. They are pretty scarce. Problem is, or so I've always heard, black bears apparently attack with the sole intention of eating their kill. Right away. Supposedly, playing dead is not a good strategy when a black bear is involved.

All jokes aside, if I've got to be in any life and death confrontation, involving man or beast, and I can only choose one weapon, I will opt for a 12 gauge.

True Grit Farms":3g8h3c91 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/16/teen-fires-arrow-at-cougar-saving-life-her-6-year-old-brother.html

There are way too many cougars in that part of the world. My old trapping and hunting partner lives up there. Twenty years ago there were a lot of deer up there. They outlawed hound hunting and the cougar population exploded. Now wolves have moved in. There aren't many deer left so those predators have to eat something. A few years back a cougar chased a deer through the Walmart parking lot in Colville in the middle of the day. Sure scattered the women and children.

Dave":bdcdeqc7 said:
True Grit Farms":bdcdeqc7 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/16/teen-fires-arrow-at-cougar-saving-life-her-6-year-old-brother.html

There are way too many cougars in that part of the world. My old trapping and hunting partner lives up there. Twenty years ago there were a lot of deer up there. They outlawed hound hunting and the cougar population exploded. Now wolves have moved in. There aren't many deer left so those predators have to eat something. A few years back a cougar chased a deer through the Walmart parking lot in Colville in the middle of the day. Sure scattered the women and children.

The menfolk stood their ground, eh? 8)

boondocks":2ps5w4a0 said:
Dave":2ps5w4a0 said:
True Grit Farms":2ps5w4a0 said:

The menfolk stood their ground, eh? 8)

Mid day. In that part of the world half the men were at work. The other half were too hung over or stoned to be at Walmart that time of day. :cowboy:

In the end, it is usually safer to hike alone in the bush than it is to hike alone in many cities (world wide) after dark.

I would rather deal with a four legged creature over a two legged creature any day of the week.

Always remember this - no matter where you are - going to church on a quiet Sunday morning, or walking in the park, or climbing a pretty snow capped mountain - you are always a potential target for someone or something.

Always.

Keep your head about you and always look behind you once in a while.

It might save your life some day.

Sad that this happened to the lady but in truth animals kill to eat and a two legged target is often an easy kill for food. When you are in the bush you are part of the food system and if something that is hungry decides you are the main course then either kill or be killed. It truly is that simple.

Be armed. It works. Because the predator is always armed - teeth, claws and more strength than you.

Now - enjoy the day.

Best to all

Latest posts